Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ötzi revisited

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some fascinating new research into the fate of the Austrian mummy found in the 1990s. The original disaster theory - where a wounded Ötzi had fled over the alps in the late autumn from attackers and died on the mountain pass has been contested. He may even have died in the valley in spring and been mummified and transported to the col in some kind of ceremony.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/09596836221126133
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, Ötzi is Italian*. Just sayin.

*If Südtirol can be deemed to be Italian
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Steilhang, well said Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was a dispute as to which side of the frontier he was on as I recall.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidof, That's right. Ötzi was first brought to Innsbruck, but then it was discovered he was found just a few meters across the border in Italy. Then he was transferred to Bozen.
The Südtiroler Archäologiemuseum really is a great thing to visit. It is amazing how much is preserved, and how intricate Ötzi's tools and clothing were/are
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember being told when I was in Obergurgl that while he had been found on the Italian side of the border, they calculated how much the glacial surface had flowed in the meantime and decided that he was on the Austrian side when he died 4,000 + years previously.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DCG, then you should read the article that @davidof posted here; it tells why Ötzi probably was not in a glacier!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Langerzug wrote:
@DCG, then you should read the article that @davidof posted here; it tells why Ötzi probably was not in a glacier!

yes, good point.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, @davidof,
My understanding was that he went to Innsbruck because the authorities believed that he was found in Austria, but precise surveying at a later date "moved" the border with the result that where he was found was Italy so he moved from Innsbruck to Bolzano. . . . . .
Whatever, the museum that he is in in Bolzano is well worth a visit. As I recall there is even a map showing the areas (in Sűdtirol, of course) where his DNA profile might have come from.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nemisis, it’s Bozen
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Langerzug,
This one is a bit like the old song: "You say Tomahto, I say Tomayto"
I've never learnt German but manage quite well in Italian so always use Italian place names such as Selva, Vipiteno, Stelvio.
Can we agree to differ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Nemisis, sorry but no. Not in Süd-Tirol.

You didn’t use Alto-Adige by the way wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy