Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

current french travel conditions?

Poster: A snowHead
we are thinking of going to france in mid july, we are both double jabbed etc...... does anyone know what tests you need to do?

i know that on returning we have to have a pcr prior to setting off back to uk and then 10 day quarantine and two test back in uk etc but do we need any tests prior to to entering france? i thought that as we were double jabbed we didn't but the missus seems to think we have to get a negative test before entering france etc

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You don't need a PCR test to enter the UK, a lateral flow is acceptable, so long as it meets the minimum requirements (though if you're flying the airline might have different requirements too). This is the requirement for entering England (different for Wales and Scotland) https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

For France, the British Embassy in Paris facebook feed has a thorough detail of what you need https://www.facebook.com/ukinfrance/posts/4287285634632742
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Travellers who are fully vaccinated do not need an essential reason to travel to France and do not need to self-isolate on arrival. Fully vaccinated travellers will need to present the following documents:

- those travelling aged 11 years old or over, will need evidence of a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours of departure, or a negative antigen test result taken within 48 hours of departure

This is correct as of today...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
does anyone know what the status is today? i thought that Macron had changed it so that regardless of being double jabbed you have to quarantine? as requested my Merkel...... is that correct as according to the BBC you dont have to quarantine if double jabbed?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still as my post above.

Macron hasn't changed anything, at the moment.. But who knows if he will?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers @Gilly76, when are we expecting the next news? is there a big meeting in Brussels going on at the mo where they are trying to come up with a common plan?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure, sorry. The facebook link above is worth following for the latest up to date info.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gilly76, cheers will have a look
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
does anyone know if someone has being knocked back by french border officials if you have one of the AZ batches from india? they dont mention anything on the french consulate website but wondered if anyone with those batches had travelled or indeed what sort of the on the ground checks are going on at eurotunnel?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ajc2260626 wrote:
does anyone know if someone has being knocked back by french border officials if you have one of the AZ batches from india? they dont mention anything on the french consulate website but wondered if anyone with those batches had travelled or indeed what sort of the on the ground checks are going on at eurotunnel?

I have no idea but the border checks have been stepped up in France since last Monday due to Delta. Your first problem is a non-EU vaccine certificate which will attract more attention as the govt. has told border police to be on the lookout for fake certificates and your vaccine isn't approved in the EU. The chances are though you will be allowed to enter as they just seem to be looking at paper certificates and making a judgement call for non EU travellers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof, i will be just using the nhs app as stated on the french consulate website if someone asks for proof of vaccine etc so clearly not a fake etc..... cant see it being a prob..... if people had being turned away with the ohs app etc we would have heard about by now, would be all over the news etc
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bring a printed version of your proof of vaccination - the French love their paperwork, multiple copies. Fussy officials will NEED to keep a copy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Idris wrote:
Bring a printed version of your proof of vaccination - the French love their paperwork, multiple copies. Fussy officials will NEED to keep a copy.

How does one go about getting a printed version? I was planning on just using the app.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ajc2260626 wrote:

I'm sure you don't relish the task of being a guinea pig, but would you mind posting how you get on with the NHS app on the Eurotunnel? One of my jabs was Serum Inst and we're supposed be getting the Eurotunnel on 1st August (assuming we aren't red listed by then).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Idris wrote:

How does one go about getting a printed version? I was planning on just using the app.

Don't know sorry - From the french version, open on a computer and follow the print icon. Worst case print a screen capture.

Since the beggining of Covid restrictions, in the Haute Savoie and it's international borders, Police, tunnel tolbooth operators, Border guards (Forntieer Police) etc. have all been happier with paper - reason they can take hold of it, step back and read it. You don't worry about dropping a piece of paper, but a €800 Iphone?
snow report
@Timmycb5, you can download as a pdf from the NHS app.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, cheers
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, mine too mate and i am not worried in the least primarily because it doesn't say covisheild on the app.....

on the paperwork front, on the french consulate website it says that they NHS app is all the proof you need etc
snow report
@ajc2260626, fingers crossed!
ski holidays
I'm planning to go to France in a couple of weeks via GVA airport. UK passport holder, will enter Switzerland and travel by bike to an apartment in the French Alps.

Fully vaccinated with AZ (not the Indian batch)

I understand I won't need anything other than proof of vaccine to enter Switzerland.

Does anyone know if my same day overland entry to France will count as entry from Switzerland (green list) or entry from the UK (amber list)?

The road I take into France doesn't normally have any border officials or controls, so I'm not sure if they'll be checking documents etc.
snow conditions
@ajc2260626 I heard the news stories last week too about the covishield batches. It would be good to hear if anyone has travelled and found they are not checking for these batch numbers at the moment as there was reported to be a 6 week implementation period for the fully digital system.

I came to a similar conclusion to you when I found that I had been given (alleged Covishield) batch number 4120Z003 of what my vaccine certificate says is AZ Vaxevria. After extensive searching I could find nothing mentioning these batches rendering my certificate invalid on either the Gov.uk, French government nor DFDS ferry websites, so decided they must not be enforcing it and we booked a ferry for next week.

I then spent a sleepless night worrying about all the possible consequences of trying to travel, the most serious of which would be having a ''refused entry" stamp in my passport when I have a property in the Alps and hope to be able to get a visa for future ski seasons. I rang DFDS next morning and they informed me that I would be refused boarding with "one of the 3 Indian batches" recorded on my certificate.

I wonder how many SnowHeads are affected. I have written to my MP asking for an explanation as to why this is being shrugged off as of no consequence by the Prime Minister and asking what is being done to sort it out. Apparently 5 million people were given this jab.

Perhaps others could bring it to their MP'S attention and hopefully something will be done to sort it out by the winter.
snow report
@musehead

I'm after the answer to this question too. The Swiss site has an interactive tool to work out what you need and it asks where you are entering form and where you have been in the last 10 days - presumably you will be subject to the requirements of the worst rated places you have been in the last 10 days.

The French site doesn't provide the same info - but I am wondering if you will need a negative test as you are effectively transiting through CH and coming from the UK....

I have the planned for a couple of weeks time so please post the info if you find it...
snow conditions
@pdsguy, I'll let you know if I find an answer. In the absence of any further info, I may pay £30-ish for an Antigen test at the airport before I depart the UK, just in case.

I'm staying near the border and was hoping to potentially go briefly into and out of Switzerland perhaps more than once during my stay (usually there's nobody at the border, or everyone just gets waved through). But if they're checking everyone for proof of vaccine at the moment it must be causing huge traffic jams, probably not worth the hassle.
snow conditions
@musehead, you will want to complete and print out the swiss entry form ...
snow conditions
I thought that you only had to complete a Swiss Entry Form if you were flying, not if you're driving?
snow conditions
Swiss website definitely says forms are for planes - not needed for other routes of entry, which in the case of CH is clearly roads!
ski holidays
pdsguy wrote:
Swiss website definitely says forms are for planes - not needed for other routes of entry, which in the case of CH is clearly roads!

or boats
latest report
Ah….. from Evian. Good point!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pdsguy wrote:

Or trains!
snow conditions
Snowbikers wrote:
@ajc2260626 I heard the news stories last week too about the covishield batches. It would be good to hear if anyone has travelled and found they are not checking for these batch numbers at the moment as there was reported to be a 6 week implementation period for the fully digital system.

I came to a similar conclusion to you when I found that I had been given (alleged Covishield) batch number 4120Z003 of what my vaccine certificate says is AZ Vaxevria. After extensive searching I could find nothing mentioning these batches rendering my certificate invalid on either the Gov.uk, French government nor DFDS ferry websites, so decided they must not be enforcing it and we booked a ferry for next week.

I then spent a sleepless night worrying about all the possible consequences of trying to travel, the most serious of which would be having a ''refused entry" stamp in my passport when I have a property in the Alps and hope to be able to get a visa for future ski seasons. I rang DFDS next morning and they informed me that I would be refused boarding with "one of the 3 Indian batches" recorded on my certificate.

I wonder how many SnowHeads are affected.

I had a similar panic attack on Saturday morning (travelling today). However I'm going to Switzerland and France allows unvaccinated in if you are in transit for less than 24 hours, so filled out that form as well. As it was, when I got to customs in St Pancras (have travelled by train), no scanning of vaccination bar codes, really just a brief glance and then waved through. Maybe they are already accepted, maybe it's different at airports/ferries, but not an issue for me today.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info @ianm.
Someone posted on another thread saying they flew BA with both jabs without problem too.

I have just sent an email to the Serum Institute of India asking how long it might be before it is sorted, hope I'll get a favorable reply.
snow conditions
Thanks for the info @ianm.
Someone posted on another thread saying they flew BA with both jabs without problem too.

I have just sent an email to the Serum Institute of India asking how long it might be before it is sorted, hope I'll get a favorable reply.
snow conditions
@iainm,

That’s what I thought but it seems the transit thing is if you are only staying in an international zone for less than 24 hours. And the international zone is a specific area centred around the airport I believe?
You can basically only transit through (if not considered fully vaccinated) if you are an EU National or equivalent going back to your main residence or home country.
latest report
All I can say is that they didn't check in any detail at London St Pancras, but wouldn't being in transit work if you were driving across the country?
snow conditions
The latest news is devastating. I went through the Tunnel on Tuesday morning and drove down to Flaine. Although the weather in the last few days has been awful the news last night was very disappointing. I haven't got a return trip booked at the moment so my plans are flexible. However, I can't get back to England by 4am Monday morning so I'm stuck with the prospect of having to quarantine for 10 days when I do return. It would be tempting to spend the whole of the summer out here but I have other things booked to do in the UK next month. The cost of testing both before I arrive back and after I get back is approaching £200 and the inconvenience is considerable. HMG blames the beta variant but the Delta variant is still the most prevalent strain in France. France's infection rate is well below that of the UK (although the extent of testing may account for some of this) so why has HMG taken this decision? I thought things were settling down and that HMG was acknowledging the fact that the virus is going to be around for a long time yet, as reflected in so-called Freedom Day on Monday. What is the point in having a very successful vaccination programme if perverse restrictions are later introduced that, to my way of thinking, are completely unjustified by the statistics?

End of rant! There is a beautiful blue sky today so time to go for a walk in the mountains - my answer to self-isolation.
snow report
@Chris Mason, for people that were planning on flying out today thinking they had been double jabbed and didn’t have to quarantine on the return home-well this has well and truly put a spanner in the works. They always seem to do this on a Fri night too when lots of people depart on a Saturday.
ski holidays
Chris Mason wrote:
The latest news is devastating. I went through the Tunnel on Tuesday morning and drove down to Flaine. Although the weather in the last few days has been awful the news last night was very disappointing. I haven't got a return trip booked at the moment so my plans are flexible. However, I can't get back to England by 4am Monday morning so I'm stuck with the prospect of having to quarantine for 10 days when I do return. It would be tempting to spend the whole of the summer out here but I have other things booked to do in the UK next month. The cost of testing both before I arrive back and after I get back is approaching £200 and the inconvenience is considerable. HMG blames the beta variant but the Delta variant is still the most prevalent strain in France. France's infection rate is well below that of the UK (although the extent of testing may account for some of this) so why has HMG taken this decision? I thought things were settling down and that HMG was acknowledging the fact that the virus is going to be around for a long time yet, as reflected in so-called Freedom Day on Monday. What is the point in having a very successful vaccination programme if perverse restrictions are later introduced that, to my way of thinking, are completely unjustified by the statistics?

End of rant! There is a beautiful blue sky today so time to go for a walk in the mountains - my answer to self-isolation.

what if you leave france before 4am Monday, but stay elsewhere like Belgium or cross from holland?
snow conditions
Getting back before 4am makes no difference as the relaxed ‘no quarantine’ regulations START then rather than end.
snow report
@Mr.Egg, last 10 days rule applies.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Mr.Egg, last 10 days rule applies.

I'm sure there are plenty of people trying to switch their return crossing to Hook/Harwich who will claim they haven't been in France. If past form is a guide, they'll be boasting about it on here soon.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy