Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 21/22 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Has Austrian low disappeared for next week? 00Z seems to have fizzled out ?.
(p.s. going to Austria next week)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@fuego, not as far as I can see?

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_00_UTC_05Grad/180_24.gif
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://meteologix.com/fr/model-charts/swiss-mrf/france/accumulated-precipitation/20220202-1800z.html

Looking at this great map chart that @polo posted, GFS is totally in it's own with regards to how far East it shows any snow? Literally all the other models say northern France is going to get some snow in the next 10-14 days Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@fuego, not as far as I can see?

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_00_UTC_05Grad/180_24.gif

Not loving this one !!! So this is therefore GFS powered?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alex A, yes that’s derived from the GFS op run. So only one run and pretty broad brush even then. But in terms of has the forecast snow disappeared for next week I don’t believe so.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is Bergfex from GFS as it's showing widespread snow in Austria early next week. Plus a useful amount tomorrow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@buchanan101, no it‘s based on ZAMG which is the Austrian met office. It is I believe derived from ECM.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nozawaonsen, thanks .... here's hoping GFS is barking up the wrong tree! Not seen no snow for a month in Val D'isere too often. i'm going 12-20th Feb
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@buchanan101, no it‘s based on ZAMG which is the Austrian met office. It is I believe derived from ECM.

Thanks. Snow Forecast is possibly GFS as that is showing a lot less snow next Tuesday.

I like Bergfex wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alex A wrote:
@nozawaonsen, thanks .... here's hoping GFS is barking up the wrong tree! Not seen no snow for a month in Val D'isere too often. i'm going 12-20th Feb

Should've chosen Austria... wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suspect GFS is broadly correct that it will be Austria that is where the snow is focussed, but how far west it might yet end up is not yet clear.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow Forecast is derived from the GFS op run.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
buchanan101 wrote:
Alex A wrote:

Should've chosen Austria... wink

Dont make me cry.. I had Austria held off and Val D'isere.. Austria was impossible for my 16 year old... I cancelled Warth, and the next day the rules changed rolling eyes Then they put the price up from my amazing price I had to another 4k more for the week!

Looked at other places and last night Booking.com took my balance for Val ! So it's France ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
YR and MS still forecasting snow in the West next week. Keep the faith - it’s coming snowHead

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nozawaonsen, Agree. A lot of uncertainties regarding how the high will position itself west on the Continent / Eastern Atlantic in the next week. I still think that the EC is way to optimistic for a large scale change and that the Alp region will come under some sort of high influence for large portions of the first half of February. But it all depends on how the high will stretch into continental Europe. Austria best positioned for the snow that is coming, but I think all the Northern parts of the Alps will see some snow. And although high pressure influence in the first half of February is most likely, you can have intense episodes of snow from the north, now and then. Unfortunately, not a good set up for Italy.
snow report
@Alex A, no need to panic, still over 2 weeks before you go, and plenty of time for it to dump down in France - still lots of forecasts pointing to snow next week..
snow report
GFS starting to look quite tast for Austria this morning. The forecast bumps for next week consolidated and happily shuffling towards fruition.

Beyond that (ie the 3rd Feb) there's now some bumps and activity where there wasn't before. I'm loving the look of the Jolly Green Giant out there in FI on the 8th.

Heading out on the 5th so that looks ideal to me. Periods of visiblilty, periods of snow. Just what the doctor ordered.
ski holidays
Going to Verbier on the 19th, hope we get some snow renewal to hit the backcountry.
snow conditions
The Northern Alps includes the NW Alps (Alpe d'Huez)?
ski holidays
@Alex A, the other good thing with Meteologix link is that it updates automatically every few hours and adds more models as they come into range....unfortunately GFS is a fine model so we have to respect its differences even when it doesn't show what we really really want. GFS 06z out just now goes even drier / further east.

Still seeing a chance of another NW-SE disruption 4-5th....again ECM (top) looks great vs GFS, meh....when will the madness end wink

Deeper into the unknown (6th-10th feb) the atlantic high looks to flatten and regress west a little, while still stretching well into europe, so dry and mild. NOAA, GEM and GEFS mean anomalies are all quite similar at that extended range.

latest report
GFS 06z coming in from the cold, or is that with the cold, 4-5th. Top model. Or chocolate teapot?

ski holidays
Not much snow though Polo.

Nice spike oround the 10th
ski holidays
@twoodwar Zermatt unlikely to be favoured by the N-NW'ly flow. North of the Rhône looking more promising.
ski holidays
polo wrote:
@Alex A, the other good thing with Meteologix link is that it updates automatically every few hours and adds more models as they come into range....unfortunately GFS is a fine model so we have to respect its differences even when it doesn't show what we really really want. GFS 06z out just now goes even drier / further east.

Still seeing a chance of another NW-SE disruption 4-5th....again ECM (top) looks great vs GFS, meh....when will the madness end wink

Deeper into the unknown (6th-10th feb) the atlantic high looks to flatten and regress west a little, while still stretching well into europe, so dry and mild. NOAA, GEM and GEFS mean anomalies are all quite similar at that extended range.

Thanks Polo! Super helpful and I’m watching and hoping for that high to “do one” and the storms roll in Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Alex A, GFS 12z backs a little west for mon-wed as well now, still a bit shy vs others.....but showing 10-20cm (northern french alps).

Next weekend (4-6th) still looks good across the 12z output so far

The high is going to be around for a while, so relying on low pressure occasionally getting over the top and taking a NW-SE line.
ski holidays
I thought we all agreed before GFS is much less reliable than ECM. Over the years I have found meteoblue and yr.no to be the most reliable forecasts, and it seems every run they are dialling up snowfall for France from next week. Don't know how to post screenshots but Yr.no forecasting actual dumps Mon, Tues, weds, and Friday. Why is everyone so certain there'll be no snow in France based on gfs?
ski holidays
Tignes
snow report
Powder February snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anything on the plot regarding the white stuff arriving in Italy... Dolomites, maddona Di campiglio... 1 week to go!
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Powder February snowHead

That doesn’t look like much snow to me.
snow report
zzz wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Powder February snowHead

That doesn’t look like much snow to me.

So little faith! GFS has been underplaying the snow vs ECM but is now coming back into line. 50cm next week and more to follow. Dust off those powder skis…
ski holidays
My limit of forecasting is meteociel and all of a sudden sun has changed to snow for the 1/2 and 4/5 of Feb Very Happy @polo, @BobinCH, bravo for forecasting!
snow report
The new EC monthly showing a rather consistent picture for February. NAO + for the entire month. Next week, the Lows will take a southern turn down to the Alps. North of the main Alpine ridge will receive the goods. Week 2, 3 and 4 have a consistent picture with Lows into western Norway and the south of Europe in the dry zone. Austria best positioned for snow, Italy on the dry side for the entire month. Dry in the Pyrenees.
latest report
"Sometimes you are better off dead. There's a gun in your hand it's pointing to your head. You think you're mad, too unstable...."

@Alpinebear, you can count on the West End girls to uncover any powder clues, cautiously optimistic to the bitter end. In a twist of irony, GFS is now one of the snowiest looking models for our little corner mon-wed. And GFS 00z has managed to drop the ball for next weekend, heading towards Spain.....ah well, more drama ahead.

@zzz, top up your glass.....haven't seen a flake since Jan 9th? So 30-40cm looks like a lot of snow to me. And that's just next week.

@Woosh, yes EC46 similar, a solid block over France all the way thru Feb....but it often gets it wrong at week 2 so am not worried....one week at a time.

And we haven't seen charts like this much this winter....the atlantic was too quiet for too long....hard to say if we'll get a better second half of winter or not though

Bob, if you want to "kick in some chairs and knock down some tables" I'll be in Le Rouge tonight Cool
snow report
@polo, alas no but will be slaying some hardpack/itineraries tomorrow pm when the kids are in Freeride club if you fancy doing a lap
ski holidays
Pretty snowy weather for Austria and Eastern Switzerland over next week. It’ll back west later in that period and there should be some (probably not huge) spillover into Italy.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC_05Grad/180_24.gif

Heavy snow and high winds could cause some disruption in Austria at the start of the week.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Pretty snowy weather for Austria and Eastern Switzerland over next week. It’ll back west later in that period and there should be some (probably not huge) spillover into Italy.

Heavy snow and high winds could cause some disruption in Austria at the start of the week.

Mate I will cling to that hope and hope we get something Very Happy
ski holidays
Föhn on the southside.

snow conditions
Looks like the GFS is backing off on the idea of more snow after this (1-3feb) pulse for Austria.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:

Delighted to read this Noza, thanks, I'm in St Anton this week and have brought the powder skis with me....
No pressure!! Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy