Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 21/22 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@polo, does that (beyond)FI chart suggest there might be hope for snow in Scandinavia early-mid Feb? It's time for me to start obsessing about the possibility of powder for the mid term break snowHead Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jellylegs wrote:
Yes, well done @polo, keep up the good work.

+1
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mgrolf, yes. 100%, there might be hope for snow in Scandinavia early-mid Feb Cool

The chart says so.

Will the chart be right? Only god knows, apparently.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
polo wrote:
@mgrolf, yes. 100%, there might be hope for snow in Scandinavia early-mid Feb Cool

The chart says so.

Will the chart be right? Only god knows, apparently.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

A better picture from 20 January on this mornings GFS.

6-B140-C73-1-AB2-4008-B33-E-A5004-A267-D8-D

Very similar from ECM at that point too.

6-EF88-D88-C895-4-CAF-A4-AA-1-E0189-E02-E7-B

Though that could end up with the east getting more snow than the west which would still be pretty dry.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sadly this thread is as dry as the alps at the moment Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Outlook for snow continuing to look best for Austria at present.

Snowline will be down to the valleys with snowfall accumulating from Thursday (20 January).

Winds dropping by the weekend for Kitzbühel, though visibility won’t be like it was at Wengen.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Please blow it West!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
Please blow it West!!!

I 2nd that Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
Please blow it West!!!

No, no, Austria will do nicely.

It's now showing up on Bergfex forecasts Thursday onwards, not huge amounts, but much colder; 30cm in Zell am See, but half that in Obergurgl
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Amounts of snow forecast in Austria now increasing Thurs through Sunday - heaviest on Saturday
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes was just going to say looks like weather now building to weekend. Obviously a few days out but could complicate things for Hahnenkamm.

Still looking like primarily an Austrian snow event.

WRF shows some spread into Eastern Switzerland.

http://youtube.com/v/YAO-op1jJAQ
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice to see you back @nozawaonsen
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
enjoy the freshies out east....

EC46 update has moved the high back over western europe, all the way through it's run out to the end of February!....stuck like a limpet on a rock.....but we can ignore anything beyond month end when it looks wrong Very Happy

Glimmer of hope for a little retrogression on the extended GFS and GEM mean anomalies around month end, accompanied by another dip in strat winds (albeit still above average)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nozawaonsen, Excellent to see you showing the science rather than just me just reading Bergfex reports!

Obergurgl amounts also increasing
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing Laughing won’t be a change till the new moon at the start of Feb .
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, quality video! How did they ski so fast on that kit!!!
ski holidays
Great video Noza. No safety netting, no helmets, 230cm straight skis. We’ve gone soft Toofy Grin
snow report
Back on this thread for the first time in 3 years, oh how I've missed it Laughing

In Passo Tonale a little over 2 weeks, be nice to know if a top up is on the cards any time in the run upto 5th Feb... Very Happy
snow report
Likewise coming back to this after 2 years without thinking about skiing. It's suddenly on the cards again. I'm completely out of touch with what sort of winter it's been so far. So, if I were thinking about skiing late February, where has a good base so far, where is looking like a good dump is coming? Obviously the end of February is far too far away to have any idea about conditions, but if you were to go anywhere in Europe in, say, 2 weeks time, where would you be going (on the basis of snow conditions, no other considerations)?
snow report
@J2R, roughly speaking, good very early, too mild over Christmas, been a bit dry recently which looks set to continue except in Austria where snow is arriving on Thursday.
latest report
Thanks. Austria would be my top choice anyway.
ski holidays
Looking like a little 5cm top up on Thursday should keep the pistes fresh and fast for the coooold weekend. Some more action early Feb?
ski holidays
@BobinCH, I hope so !
ski holidays
I am not a meterologist but just an observer. Models always seem to be very keen to perpetuate the current pattern and do not see changes until they almost slap them in the face. Perhaps why anything more than five days out is always of doubt.

The Met Office is effectively telling us that high pressure is around in the south of the UK for the next month (like a horoscope with a few ifs and buts) but I would be mighty amazed if that is the case with February fulldyke coming up.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Looking like a little 5cm top up on Thursday should keep the pistes fresh and fast for the coooold weekend. Some more action early Feb?

Could you help with the URL for these images. I used to get them from www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png (redirect to http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png) but that appears to have got stuck at Sept 2020. COVID == not looking at them for 18 months.
snow report
Quote:
I would be mighty amazed if that is the case with February fulldyke coming up.
Lost me there Confused ...What's February fulldyke Puzzled
snow report
@ringingmaster, I used to use the same 'co-ordinates at the end' url Couldn't seem to get that to work, so went from the top page and got to here:

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=2914&model=gfs&var=201&run=6&lid=ENS&bw=

Type in the name of the resort and Bob's your uncle (and if he is could you ask if we can borrow his chalet?),

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 20-01-22 10:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@J2R, Although late February is obviously far out in the weather horizon, If I was to order a trip right now, I would have put my money on Austria with the general set up we have at the moment. The high pressure system over UK/western part of the continent looks set to continue into February. It gives lots of precipitation to Scandinavia (also mild weather), but occasionaly might give you a Nordstau now and then like we see in the upcoming days. Thus, with the weather set up we have at the moment, Austria has the best set up for snow. I'm going to Alagna in the beginning of March and things are not looking great for new snow for the forseeable future in that area Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
It will snow every change over Saturday in Feb as usual no doubt .
snow conditions
rogg wrote:
@ringingmaster, I used to use the same 'co-ordinates at the end' url Couldn't seem to get that to work, so went from the top page and got to here:

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=2914&model=gfs&var=201&run=6&lid=ENS&bw=

Type in the name of the resort and Bob's your uncle (and if he is could you ask if we can borrow his chalet?),

When are you coming? Might be able to do help you out midweek End March / early April…
latest report
rogg wrote:

Thanks - very helpful.
snow report
Here comes the snow! At least in Austria. Main snowfall looks likely to be round Salzburgerland, Styria and Upper Austria.

Still it’s going to cause enough problems for Kitzbühel that they switched the downhill to Sunday (slalom now on Saturday).
snow report
@Woosh, thanks. Thinking Mayrhofen on March 12 now. Not so choosy weather-wise or snow-wise this year as I would normally be, as I'll just be relieved to be going anywhere after missing last winter and thinking I was going to miss this winter too.
ski holidays
@J2R, Mayhforen, excellent choice.
snow conditions
Austria appears, from Bergfex and wepowder at least, to be getting absolute snow bomb.

Snowforecast however has much less snow predicted. What gives? GFS / ECM fight?
latest report
Any chance of some snow in Verbier before 19 Feb?
ski holidays
@nunex, yes there will be a chance of snow falling in the next 4 weeks.
latest report
8611 wrote:
Austria appears, from Bergfex and wepowder at least, to be getting absolute snow bomb.

Snowforecast however has much less snow predicted. What gives? GFS / ECM fight?

Hmm, that's unusual. In my experience it's always seemed like snowforecast took the forecast snow depth and multiplied it by pi to get their forecast.

I'd like some snow on the Dolomitisuperski please before February. If yous could go ahead and sort that out it would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
Bl00dy freezing! Still looking like February bringing some snow action
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy