Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 21/22 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Chris Brookes,
Quote:

I wouldnt write off your trip just yet to Morzine in Feb. Just rumours i hear on the french forums and french sites...

... links to the rumours please (clutching at straws here Sad )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Noza any thoughts on what’s to be for the next few days?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Chris Brookes
snowHead

mheadbee wrote:
All this snow is pretty depressing for us Brits who are going to be stopped from travelling this season for the third year running. Hoping that we come out the other side with some of the season left with the resorts having not closed completely again. First week of Feb in Morzine looking unlikely, Easter in Les Arcs, lets hope that survives.

I wouldnt write off your trip just yet to Morzine in Feb. Just rumours i hear on the french forums and french sites..

What are you hearing Chris?

Would be amazing if we could go.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any idea when the snow will return to the Western Alps?! (Aosta Valley).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow ramping up in the PNW and Northern Cali region.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/22/weather/atmospheric-river-california-snow-travel-forecast/index.html

Forecast for the Tahoe resorts is up to 10 feet over the next 5 days.

PNW Cascades are looking at 4 feet between now and Boxing Day.

Forecast to be a white Christmas in much of the mountain West ski resorts.

Merry Christmas everyone, and to all a white powdery one too!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Toadman, sounds wonderful.
While here the snow promised for Christmas Day has receded into next week and reduced in amount (unless you believe Meteoexploration).
So it goes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking rather warm in the west after the 29th and into the new year.

Now looking to last less than a week.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 23-12-21 20:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like some decent precipitation action between 27th and 31st but could be getting very warm. Go high or get wet!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Watching for wiggles
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In @polo we trust!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WePowder also calling out that it’s looking pretty wet…
https://wepowder.com/en
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
for a dumb, does it mean no ski? I will stay in Megeve
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RonWeltyPT, don't worry, you will be able to ski. But you might be skiing in the rain at times, especially lower down.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alpinebear, I may have made one bold prediction too many.....the borderline / messy pattern has resolved for the worst. Another failed undercut from the west means the atlantic low doesn't phase with the deep scandi low to bring down cold air, instead a wedge of high pressure keeps the general SW-NE flow.

Even at t+96 there is a subtle difference in the best 2 models, ECM vs UKMO below. Should be noted that GFS was the most accurate overall for next week....GEM, ICON and JMA were all showing much better potential which has since faded away.

UKMO is the only model left showing even the briefest of a NW flow for 27-28th. Either way in the NW alps best case looks like snow to 1400-1500m on 25-26th and 28th. There might be a few flakes to 1200m or below but it won't last with temps rapidly climbing into the new year.

29th-31st looks troublesome with a FL climbing to 2500m, only hope is that high pressure continues to build and push the precipitation north of the alps.

We are in deep -AO territory so it's a missed opportunity for cold air with high pressure over Greenland. The day 10 anomaly charts all show high pressure also sitting over Europe.....so there's no sign of the next turkey chase.

EDM101-240
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Umbrellas at the ready on the 29th and Spring skiing over New Year
latest report
First covid, then rain, then sun burn.....happy winter holidays everyone Very Happy
snow report
Glad we are not going now …
latest report
Tuesday and Wednesday are looking wet and windy at resort altitude. New Year’s Day is potentially 17c at 1450m Shocked would that be a record?
Snow-wind-rain-dry-warmth-cool Shocked
Hopefully a short lived anomaly and not too damaging to the season.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 27-12-21 8:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I would take that all day long rather than not being able to travel for the third year running to be honest, at least some of you might get a season,
snow report
Happy Christmas! Wink
latest report
@nozawaonsen, lovely to “see” you have a great Christmas
latest report
Welcome back and Happy Christmas Noza

Snowing hard here in La Plagne
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen...welcome back !
ski holidays
Merry Christmas! Still snowing here. Heck, it hasn't really stopped since Thursday in the PNW.

image upload
ski holidays
Looks like the heavy rain on Wednesday will wreak carnage on the snowpack. Not what we ordered Santa Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Chris Brookes wrote:
@nozawaonsen...welcome back !

+1 Good to hear from you.
Best wishes for the New Year.
snow report
Happy Xmas Noza!
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Looks like the heavy rain on Wednesday will wreak carnage on the snowpack. Not what we ordered Santa Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Hope things turn around for you. As I type it is snowing here in central Oregon, and as I watch the Seahawks and the Bears playing up in the snow in Seattle, it looks like the AR off the Pacific has been introduced to the cold front out of the Gulf of AK.

Wishing and praying for a white and wintery New Year's Eve and New Year's day for all the Snowheads.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So I've been watching the Wigglies for the western alps. I've seen a deal for 7th Jan, which quite tickles my fancy. I've noticed after the warm period coming that the cooling period from say the third to the fifth seems to be getting a little more cool more quickly, the ensembles seem to be coalessing with a little more agreement. Some precipitation spikes too. Glass half full and all that.......
snow report
Absolutely ridiculous chart from the ECM today. 4000m+ freezing level and temperatures widely 10-15C above average across the Alps. Never seen anything like that in winter.

latest report
Toadman wrote:

Wishing and praying for a white and wintery New Year's Eve and New Year's day for all the Snowheads.

I fear you’ll have to enjoy it on behalf of the European SH’s!

Snow level up to 2800m Shocked Saw something similar in Feb a few years back and literally everything slid in wet snow avalanches destroying the snow pack. Never seen this in Dec/Jan. Looks like it’s cooling down again from 3rd/4th.
ski holidays
Goodbye 2021. 2022 looking a bit more promising!
latest report
@Mouse555, pretty sure most years have very warm spells recently? Indeed I recall sitting outside in just a T shirt many January’s ago!
ski holidays
@kitenski, Always rains at NY holidays , those currently skiing should count themselves lucky with the snow cover from the early December snowfalls . Remember just as many warm and rainy new year ski trips as cold and snowy ones and even a few green ones .
snow conditions
No, it has never rained up to 2800m in Dec/Jan in my 15 years in Verbier. Warm spells yes, dry spells sure but not like this
snow report
@BobinCH, silver lining for your area might be that the precipitation is so heavy that it might lower the snow / rain limit a bit. (Still not ideal though!)
ski holidays
It is pretty extreme. These charts, averaged over the last 30 years, show that on average January in Verbier would have 0.8 days with temperatures above 5 C, and 0 days > 10 C.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/historyclimate/climatemodelled/verbier_switzerland_2658168
snow report
@BobinCH, Err Yes but my I’ve been round the block a bit . I will never forget walking the ridge at the North Face of Foglietta early Jan about 2900plus crapping myself as there was a rain layer of ice below the 20cm on top around 2008 , very unusual yes but not unheard of .

Cham meteo this morning are saying below

Snow probably continuous until nightfall - locally moderate to heavy - rain-snow limit towards 2300 m, occasionally rising towards 2600 m - possible snowfall towards 2800 m : 40-70 cm
ski holidays
@BobinCH: I experienced a warm spell in Les Menuires in the third week of January a few years ago. It rained for two days all the way up to 2200 meters and then on the third day it switched to snow.

So warm spells in the winter are much more common than anyone believe but I agree that this year's warm spell is special.
latest report
My season in Switzerland PdS (Champery) in 1985 there was no snow at all until boxing Day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy