Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 21/22 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Handy Turnip wrote:
countryman wrote:

Can someone please persuade admin it is time this thread became "sticky"?

+1 the old one is hanging around longer than Covid

I think mods may have confused it with the Dolomites thread Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sticky please replacing 20/21?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where is Noza these days ?????
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@alicia, I think he retired from posts due to idiots posting rubbish. Sure he’s watching Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
twoodwar wrote:
@alicia, I think he retired from posts due to idiots posting rubbish. Sure he’s watching Puzzled

Sad Sad Sad
I had wondered - sorely missed.
Please, if you do read, reconsider. Your opinion/views are/were truly valued.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will it ever snow again?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kapt wrote:
twoodwar wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

+1
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
countryman wrote:
kapt wrote:
twoodwar wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

+1

+1 completely agree, he's been very much missed - hopefully @nozawaonsen will be back very soon!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hope everyone is enjoying the weather this week. High pressure over Europe looks set to stay. Travelling out next week so hoping the snow doesn't melt too much.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@twoodwar, Oh no ...what a pity . I always rushed into Snow Reports if I saw @nozawaonsen name pop up . Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The anticyclone is giving settled weather for skiing and should enable more runs to be opened or at least prepared for opening in time for Christmas.
The dry air and clear nights should preserve the snow. On the eastern side of the Alps the air looks to be cooler and should be cold enough for snow making again next week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Let's hope @nozawaonsen is safe and well as our first thoughts IMHO.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:

Exactly this. Miss his posts and contribution to the site a lot.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And as if by magic Santa to the rescue!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If that comes about that would be perfect
snow conditions
Yes, would be wonderful: same for La Plagne on Meteofrance
snow report
That’s deep in to Fantasy Island territory, but I do love fresh snow falling on Christmas Day snowHead
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

Gulp - good point. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of whereabouts/wellbeing??
snow report
Interesting forecast all be it a week away. The graphic shown on the BBC forecast has a anticyclone anchored across northwest Europe. One or two of the forecasters remarks suggest that it (high) is not moving anywhere soon. Let's hope @BobinCH, has all the correct data posted, certainly would make for a spectacular Christmas and New year!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

He’s good. Focusing on snow dances for Xmas but willl be back soon!
snow conditions
Indicators are pretty good....AO / NAO rapidly heading south again and mean pressure anomaly charts all in agreement for high pressure to move north, towards Iceland / Greenland.
This should lead to a cold undercut scenario, here's ECM below....pattern starts with low's to the east from 20 dec on then potential opens for low's joining from the west by 25th

EDM101-240<br>

Snow looks nailed on the further east you are in central europe ....west is still borderline as models struggle with this pattern (keeping high pressure far enough north to allow undercut from west).
More interesting prehaps is what would come after this set up.....if the high stays NW enough it usually leads to northerlies, if not then you get a more southerly jet stream.....so it's quite a promising set-up thru to year end (supported by the EC46 weekly charts).
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
kitenski wrote:

He’s good. Focusing on snow dances for Xmas but willl be back soon!

Thank you for that - really good to know.
snow conditions
Those are some crazy lines!
snow conditions
^^^Well, crazy/scary if it were a seismograph! wink Not so bad if it's for a ski junkie!!!
snow conditions
It’s gonna be a white Xmas… #everythingcrossed
latest report
The last few GFS runs have been quite keen on an unsettled but rather warm period for a few days starting around Christmas Day for the northern and western Alps. It would probably all be snow above 1500m, but some (or lots of) rain lower down depending on altitude. Then possibly cooler thereafter. One to keep an eye on...

Not so much precipitation for the inside of the Alpine arc.

Meanwhile the outlook for Scotland is promising from the 23rd ish - cool and with scope for snow too. That would help build the cover again, albeit starting from next to no base!
snow conditions
Not so good for the sun worshippers but the powder hounds should be happy with what’s coming. Go high or go home!
ski holidays
May not be too much of a problem if the wind remains light, the visibility is OK and there are no avalanche issues. Starts to become a problem if you are on a 6 day holiday and the resort starts closing its lifts or not opening the linking lifts in the mornings. Probably not that many on 6 day holidays right now however Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very quiet thread now?
snow conditions
People are less likely to be interested if they can't travel to ski Sad

This weekend's transition to milder and wetter weather is still on the cards - perhaps even milder for a few days than was previously forecast (rain perhaps up to 2,000m in places).

To paraphrase @BobinCH... go high or get wet? It's a southwesterly flow so Austria might escape the worst of it.
ski holidays
25th chart above has only changed slightly as the Atlantic low is held back. It’s about as messy a pattern as you can get with all the models continuing to disagree on precise evolution, but 26-29th still holds the most potential for a brief N/NW spell and snow down to the valley floors
latest report
About as much agreement as a typical SnowHeads thread. I like this one better though!
snow conditions
The Dollies should be better sheltered from the worst of the weather from that direction and it should also be a bit cooler at that end of the alps.

Hoping for some more local snow after Friday night snowHead
latest report
@BobinCH, Just a polite suggestion Toofy Grin :- when you post your imgur urls can you add "l" for large to the end of the URL

The default URL you posted i.imgur.com/wqspA6a.jpg gives a h=huge image, but adding m or l scales the pics to a much more forum-friendly size... (it's not such an issue when viewing on a phone, but swamps the posting on a full size browser on a PC or large tablet)

So... i.imgur.com/wqspA6am.jpg looks like

And ... i.imgur.com/wqspA6al.jpg looks like

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 21-12-21 0:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@geoffers, those are both too small to read (on a tablet).

@BobinCH, it’s fine, crack on Very Happy
snow report
@Scarlet, OK Very Happy - i've updated my suggestion to show either m & l , as "l"=large looks ok on a tablet Pinky, rather than the default of huge snowHead
snow report
@geoffers, as long as when you scale down the vertical axis on those graphs you don't reduce the amount of precipitation forecast wink
snow conditions
All this snow is pretty depressing for us Brits who are going to be stopped from travelling this season for the third year running. Hoping that we come out the other side with some of the season left with the resorts having not closed completely again. First week of Feb in Morzine looking unlikely, Easter in Les Arcs, lets hope that survives.
snow conditions
I want so much snow that it gives a good base for 22/23 snowHead
latest report
mheadbee wrote:
All this snow is pretty depressing for us Brits who are going to be stopped from travelling this season for the third year running. Hoping that we come out the other side with some of the season left with the resorts having not closed completely again. First week of Feb in Morzine looking unlikely, Easter in Les Arcs, lets hope that survives.

I wouldnt write off your trip just yet to Morzine in Feb. Just rumours i hear on the french forums and french sites...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy