Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 21/22 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Bit messy out there in computer model world, with a lot of uncertainty still beyond the 20th. The best looking runs continue to be postponed beyond the reliable timeframe (about a week). Only question is whether it's a slight delay, or a massive delay Smile

So falling back on the trusty mean anomaly charts for day 10, there is good agreement for Greenland high and low pressure over Europe, leading to N/NE flow.

GFS day 10

GEM day 10

ECM day 10

EC46 22-29th

NOAA 23-29th (note how large that Atlantic high pressure block is....red dashed lines)

Even with the expected -NAO and -AO signals, there's no guarantee the low pressure coming down from the north will hit the alps bullseye. Some of these charts show the possibility of a west based NAO, meaning low pressure is likley to head to the bay of biscay / Iberia, which might good for the Pyrenees and the south, but not great for the northern alps.

Anyway, that's all just noise until we see solid agreement 6-7 days out. All I can say is it's going to get colder next week and it would take some spectacular bad luck from this point for it not to snow. I just don't know where yet.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking good for Siberia snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Damn, should have booked Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, Siberia is coming to Europe

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@polo, Shocked Fingers crossed for some sledging and snowman making in a local park snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Oleski, Uk will get first cold blast Sun-Mon, then hopefully a much bigger incursion for the whole of europe from Thurs 25th on. Has all the makings of a potential prolonged cold spell into month end too.

ECM 00z mean temp at 1500m for 25th

Ex MetOffice poster John Holmes did a write up over on netweather about forecasting snow on the ground in UK
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/23729-will-it-snow/

You need between -5 and -8c temps at 850hpa, and ideally 522 DAM to snow at sea level. Think northern areas have a good chance of seeing the -8c isotherm.

Bit more marginal at 1500m for the alps as things stand, need a few more corrections east in the modelling before I put on the new winter tyres.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get the sledge out for the Grandson in Camphill!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
24 hours later I'd say that's an upgrade.

These are 10 day GFS Op cummulative snow charts. On their own they are not that reliable, but there is near complete cross model support for the general pattern.
I did chuckle at last nights ECM (via YR.NO) showing -21C in Les Gets at 1200m on the 26th....now updated to -5C.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@polo, well as usual SE England gets a miss rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Oleski, you need an easterly ideally, which I wouldn't rule out in early Dec as often these large atlantic blocks eventually topple over the UK.

In any case, it's too small a target to worry about more than a few days out
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll probably just do a few more updates and then give it a rest, plently of others capable of posting outlooks I'm sure...each year I tend to lose enthusiasm anyway once there is a base down locally and I've selfishly filled my boots with fresh snow.

This whole late November snow forecast was visible about 2 weeks ago, based on -AO signal and corresponding mid range anomaly charts for euro trough. However as time drew nearer there have been several false starts, ie 22-25th fantasy island Op charts never materialised. In most cases the modelling underestimated the extent of high pressure and crucially its eastward position, ie low pressure systems also end up further east, or south west under the high (spain), and also in a weakened state.....as less energy gets over / around the more bloated atlantic ridge.

So while the current outlook (euro low) remains solid into month end, there is still considerable variation in the timing and detail. Even within the semi reliable timeframe of days 5-7 there are enough differences to warrant caution on temps and where the snow will land. Northern Spain, Norway, Scotland and most of the alps should get a decent covering though.

A dusting is likey on 22nd as the first low curves back to northern Spain, followed by main incoming northerly systems from 26th nov on.

By the 29th models end up with the atlantic high starting to sink and the whole pattern moving east, bringing more N/NW flow (as opposed to NE/SW) to the alps as the low centre crosses.

Latest GFS chart out to month end.

Any low lying snow on that chart is suspect of course until within very short timeframes. Even large deep areas will continue to change for a few more days too. I wouldn't be surprised if GFS is underestimating the snowfall, given the forecasted pressure drop. When low pressure comes in that far south and sits over the alps for a few days it can produce long spells of moderate snowfall to low altitude.

Temp anomaly out to the 28th. I expect deeper and broader lows (blues) to show up in the coming days as the pattern moves east and the current mild temps get replaced with colder ones into month end.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the update polo
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@polo, this thread isn't going to be the same without you. Thank you for your efforts!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the update @polo,
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@polo, this may sound like smoke being blown up your a*se but genuinely your posts are the highlight of this forum right now. Please keep them coming.
ski holidays
thanks, let's not get carried away though Cool, I just have less threads to read these days.....I'll still be around spending way too much time staring at charts.
The 06z run just out didn't help at all....more change, colder but again pushing the main low back another day from reaching alps, frustrating, but it has to come down eventually....still wide open for snow to build up slowly under slack air before the main low arrives. Southern areas, from Spain to Croatia are best placed to get some big numbers initially.
snow report
Here's an example from the 12z of the uncertainty at just t+144, next Friday

Met Office - slack, but snowing

GFS, same at ICON, atlantic high getting flattended into anvil shape, low pressure delayed / deflected, milder air getting mixed in

GEM - best of both worlds, though the low is probably heading too far west initially

They all end up with the low swinging across the alps....so it'a choice of early but lighter snow, or slightly later and heavier snow.....either way, winters on next week

edit ECM 12z has the ideal track / evolution.....26th snow, 27th snow, 28th snow, 29th a lot of snow.
30th snow.
ski holidays
Here's the troublesome bloatiness on Friday over Ireland

Deflecting the jet stream south west towards Spain (28th) and back across the med towards southern alps

Result is the euro low stays positivley tilted (running NE-SW) until 29-30th, maybe even taking until early dec before it straightens out to N/NW.

GFS in particular is keen to keep the action to the south, so Swiss and north western alps currently look to miss out on the bulk of precip, even out to day 10

But ECM straightens the pattern more quickly, so has about 3 times the precipitation over the same period. So you might notice YR / Bergex looks a lot better than other sites.

Couple of other notable accumulations....400mm possible over northern spain, and a 900+ for Albania

snow conditions
GFS now looking more accurate.

10 day chart caveats, but fri-mon will be heavy going and very cold,-5 to -8c in the NW alps, hopefully get a few breaks in the weather. Possibly turning 'milder' next week (early dec) as flow becomes more westerly...but even then the mean temps at 850 hpa / 1500m don't stray far from 0c.
snow report
Thanks polo. Watching this with interest as we head to alpe-dhuez over Christmas. Do you class ADH as Southern or western alps during your write ups.? Thanks
snow report
Thanks Polo.
ski holidays
@Boarderfarce, western, as on the west side of the main ridge....probably call it NW if you had to choose a broad section
latest report
Every time I look at the forecast, what was there yesterday has gone the next day it seems rolling eyes

Serre Chevalier missing out on the last two Retour D'Ests that saw snow in the Queyras and Piemonte and now looks set to miss out on the snow the Northern Alps might get.

@Boarderfarce, here's ADH for you

And in comparison Serre Che

We finally travel out next weekend but can't see there being too much activity in the Valley ?
snow report
@Weathercam, it does look like you have been unlucky so far.....but wouldn't get hung up on the numbers, as long as it's cold and under low pressure for 4-5 days there should be widespread snow. No valleys will be left behind.
snow conditions
@polo loving your work. So a reasonable chance by this time next week we'll be gawping at winter wonderland pics of snow deep into the valleys across most of the Alps? snowHead
ski holidays
@hd, more than reasonable.....even allowing for a few more wobbles and the bias to drift the pattern east. It's only a matter of who gets the bragging rights...
ski holidays
@weathercam thanks for the forecast. Fingers crossed that you get some snow this week.
ski holidays
polo wrote:
@hd, more than reasonable.....even allowing for a few more wobbles and the bias to drift the pattern east. It's only a matter of who gets the bragging rights...

snowHead Cool snowHead Cool snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@polo, do you have a view as to the English and Scottish ski slopes getting any snow this week?
latest report
@kitenski, no more than the various charts and apps are showing. Am more familiar with what's needed in the alps, but with the -4c to -8c 850hpa isotherms coming down by the weekend the odds are good. Saw some tweets about snow in northern parts already.

From Jo Farrow / netweather:
Later this week it does look more wintry. There will be the risk of snow showers (from the north), more frost and also ice. With the high pressure further west, south of Greenland, low pressure swings down from the north. One mid-week slides away to Denmark but the one of interest to the UK heads down from Iceland by Friday.

This looks to take its time moving southwards (an unusual direction for us) and will bring strong winds, heavy rain and some sleet and hill snow. For Scotland, there could be gales, even severe gales to end the working week so anyone travelling, particularly for the Islands this looks worth keeping an eye on.

Significant lying snow looks set to be restricted to high ground, mainly in the north, but many northern parts are likely to see sleet and snow falling at some stage.
snow conditions
polo wrote:
So you might notice YR / Bergex looks a lot better than other sites.

Thank you for your posts. What is YR?
ski holidays
@südtirolistdeutsch, www.yr.no is a Norwegian-based weather forecasting service. Forget which model they use (@polo mentions this up thread somewhere so you can check).
ski holidays
YR.NO and Bergex sites use the ECM model, other sites mostly use GFS. While ECM is slightly more accurate over the long term the other models are essential viewing too, notably UKMO, GFS (US), GEM (canada), ICON (german) and even the JMA from Japan. I like to use a forecast based on average model output to predict the most likely outcomes, but the 3-4 main ones are usually enough.

For most people looking at apps, it can be useful to know if a GFS Operational run for example is an outlier, or whether it's supported by its ensembles / and other models. The point above was showing that to me a few days ago it looked like GFS was underestimating snow, especially for northern alps, as its projected pressure charts were slighlty less well aligned than other models were showing. But that kind of obsessive detail probably isn't for everyone Cool

They all converge together at the end of course regarding the pattern at T zero...but there will still be slight close range differences in temps, and especially precipitation estimates.

Here's a quick recap of where we are, and about to go....

EC average pressure anomaly this week shows the jet stream running down to Spain and back up thru med / alps. It's a cold pattern because air flow is sourced from the NE...Scandinavia / Russia. It can bring warmer air from the med to SE europe, but that gets quickly swept away as systems move east and more cold is pulled down.

Looking at next week (29th nov - 6th dec) below, you can see how the low pressure anomaly tilts back to a NW-SE track (follow the black lines). So the air source is milder as the cold air gets moderated crossing the relatively warm atlantic.
If this pattern was coming after a euro high / mild and dry background then it would likely have quite a high snowline for the NW alps (say 1600m).....but so far it looks like there will be enough cold air over europe already to keep the freeze level low, maybe peaking at 1400m around wed 1st and heading back down to sub 1000m by the 3rd. The other big difference with the flow switching to the NW is that precipitation will be heavier.

Mean GFS pressure chart for 2nd dec...the reload

All of that combined leads to this incredible 10 day snow chart, out to the 4th Dec.

Signs of a creep towards average temps after that, +AO/NAO forecast, so maybe high pressure getting into the west.....nothing to worry about, enjoy the next 10 days first.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 24-11-21 14:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
polo wrote:

For most people looking at apps, it can be useful to know if a GFS Operational run for example is an outlier, or whether it's supported by its ensembles / and other models. The point above was showing that to me a few days ago it looked like GFS was underestimating snow, especially for northern alps, as its projected pressure charts were slighlty less well aligned than other models were showing. But that kind of obsessive detail probably isn't for everyone Cool

I generally look at both bergfex (which I believe is based on ECM) and snow-forecast (which I believe is based on GFS), and see how much they are in agreement. And then I can come on here, and try and see how much excitement there is about any upcoming forecast.

Although I'll always send a screen grab to friends of the forecast that's predicting the most snow Laughing
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, yep confirmation bias is strong in the meteorology / copy-paste world....all guilty as charged

All you really need is the GFS ensemble charts....in this case (avoriaz), you can see from the 3rd Dec onwards GFS 06z shows the Op (black) and control (blue) runs keep 850hpa temps well below zero, while the higher mean (red) suggests those are cold outliers for now. They will often diverge beyond 5-6 days....so you'd then look to see if the Op and/or control run start to become consistent and the mean follows them down, or whether they flip to milder etc.

And you'd still post the snowiest charts anyway Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:
The other big difference with the flow switching to the NW is that precipitation will be heavier.

snowHead
ski holidays
Ive seen in the forecasts low temps and snowy days are ahead..(29th onwards). am visiting cervinia at about 5th of december, Any idea when the weather gets a bit clearer by the graphs?(ive seen that also 5th onwards is still snowy and afraid to reach all the way and get shut down)
latest report
Quote:
afraid to reach all the way and get shut down)
Unlike the inch of snow required to close schools, roads and workplaces in England wink snowfall has to be beyond extreme to shut down an alpine town or resort.

I was in Austria during the monster snow of January 2019 and everything just operated normally. And athough I have been in Tignes when movement between Val Claret and Le Lac was forbidden on a night due to avalanche risk, the skiing was still operational.
latest report
My daughter and husband have been in Cervinia 2018:I think and the authorities had everyone staying in hotels due to the avalanche risk off building roofs! This was one day only, till it was cleared, but no skiing for 3 days as everything including lifts had to be dug out. It is very unlikely to happen though. As they say in the Sopranos, ‘whatya gonna do?’
latest report
Gnarly drive down yesterday in heavy rain that turned to sleet at around 300m

Auto-route towards Chambery was very tricky with many people I presume still on Summer tyres, then I turned off to go to my brothers as things became very interesting, he lives up a hill that they use for hill climbs, and though only at 650m as you can see we had a fair amount of snow.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy