Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted: A V8!

Poster: A snowHead
Rather off topic but skiing and motor enthusiasts are not mutually exclusive...!

I'm looking for a V8 car, most interested in an early W212 Mercedes E63/possibly an early C218 CLS63 for <£20k but will also consider a W211 E63, C219 CLS63 or a Jaguar XFR. Doesn't seem to be any early W212 AMG's at present in the usual places and the older W211 ones seem to be advertised repeatedly (and not selling) at very strong money for a reasonable example.

If anyone is planning to trade one in for something more 21st century (!), spots a good one, or have any 4 seat 2004 on saloon or coupe V8 for sale then please drop me a PM!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rover sd1?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, tempting as I do like the design but the not being sure of making your destination at any time with BL build quality probably wears after a while on a daily driver Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DrNo, by now, if it's still running, it's a winner
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.pistonheads.com
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tvr?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Audi RS6 Estate - two jobs in one, V8 and skibus!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DJL wrote:

Very nice, followed one of those through Lymington last weekend, dark blue, immaculate and 03 plate.

Off topic though Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski3 wrote:
DJL wrote:

Very nice, followed one of those through Lymington last weekend, dark blue, immaculate and 03 plate.

Off topic though Very Happy

Not sure I fancy the fuel bill though. Mate of mine got one as a hire car upgrade in Germany. Cost him twice what he originally expected in fuel but he was still smiling!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Porsche Cayenne, job done
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice to see I’m not the only one with an interest in such cars!

Didn’t make it clear that I’m looking for a slightly newer car than a TVR or the C5 RS6 which I guess is the one referred to above. The new V8 one is rather over budget and the one prior to that was a V10.

Other criteria are 4 seats and not an SUV though the Porsche Cayenne is not completely ruled out…
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DrNo, You don't say what your budget is though.

I'd say M3 4 door or a rare M3 Touring or M5.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@halfhand, yes, budget not clear enough in the text. £20k is probably feasible but ideally less than £18k. E60 M5 also a V10 and they seem to throw a lot of big bills. Budget doesn't really get me into an F10 M5 and for some reason, insurance quotations for those were twice an E63/Jag XFR for me particularly for some reason...

I'm not aware of a manufacturer built M3 touring though one is due for the new model I think so I guess you meant M5 touring which is E60 variant only. Interestingly, I don't really fit into an E92 3 series as the seat in the 335i I tried years ago didn't go low enough for a good driving position. That has steered me away since then but may well try the M3 variant.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny996 wrote:
Porsche Cayenne, job done

Porsche make excellent cars, why choose the most loathsome one they've ever put the badge on?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Macan was also pretty offensive but I see now was only a prelude for the supercar makers to all churn out SUVs.
ski holidays
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/16-dream-classic-cars-for-sale/ss-AALldLW#image=30

Might also be a few others on that list Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Macan was also pretty offensive but I see now was only a prelude for the supercar makers to all churn out SUVs.

I think the MAcan is a thing of beauty in comparison - proportions are so much better. Cayenne looks like a huge slug (although the newer ones have put a bit of lipstick on the slug).
snow report
Panamerra could be had for the budget
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
Panamerra could be had for the budget

Do they come in V8 flavour and for 20k??
snow report
Yes same 4.8 as cayenne, you can buy up at 80K miles
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

I think the MAcan is a thing of beauty in comparison - proportions are so much better. Cayenne looks like a huge slug (although the newer ones have put a bit of lipstick on the slug).

yep. tested a Cayenne, in 2006, having just sold a 1990 911 ... Cayenne felt awful.
ski holidays
Bet you wish you’d keep the 964
snow conditions
And how have we all forgot about the used bargain that’s the Maserati Quattropare V8
ski holidays
Panamera is indeed on the maybe list, however only 3 UK cars with the 4.8 under 20K, one written off, one with 130k miles and the other with no pictures to assess! Porsche owners have done well in COVID as Porsche pricing has firmed up more than most IMO.

Maserati would be lovely but as per TVR and Rover SD1, completing any given journey is important and whilst I am aware of the running costs of any large V8 saloon, Maserati ones, particularly parts prices are on another level sadly!!
snow report
DrNo…..simple....W123 estate.

Each started life as a private car in Potsdam by a family driver who put 30km on it.
Then sold and bought by a taxi driver in Hamburg who put another 100km on it.
Then sold and bought by a taxi driver in Brussels who put another 100km on it.
Then freighted to Sicily and bought by a taxi driver who put another 100km on it.
Then shipped to Marrakesh and bought by a taxi driver who is still driving it.

So...if you can get one which has been idling around Cheshire you have a V8 which will purr forever.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:

Best car I ever owned, but it did have a real drink problem especially when “making progress”, c8 mpg!,
snow conditions
ŠKODA Superb estate 3.6 L V6 4x4 same engine as entry level cayenne but obviously lighter . Was used as a police interceptor.
snow report
@mishmash, Great car but 2 cylinders short wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scania S770
ski holidays
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106304443851?atmobcid=soc3
snow report
Thanks to all those who replied and took interest! Found an early W212 Mercedes E63 AMG which fits the bill and I will certainly become well acquainted with fuel stations…
snow report
DrNo wrote:
Thanks to all those who replied and took interest! Found an early W212 Mercedes E63 AMG which fits the bill and I will certainly become well acquainted with fuel stations…

As the saying goes "the only thing you won't go past is a petrol station"

Enjoy.
ski holidays
@jedster, agree. I rather like my Macan. All the Porsche freaks can bleat about it being an "offensive" (what a crock) SUV. Yes, it is an SUV, and it is a really good one. Their best seller by far, probably saved the company.

@DrNo, glad you scored. The sound alone is worth it. Does it have a stick?
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, No stick shift available with that engine in the U.K. at least but you can manually shift with the paddles to release more engine noise…
snow conditions
Why limit yourself to a V8. If you're going to run a car that's expensive to fuel, expensive to repair and expensive to insure you might as well go the whole hog and get a V12. Take a look at this beast, Bmw760il V12 6-litre :https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104241774479
snow report
DrNo wrote:
If you need, I can recommend a really good independent Merc garage in N London.
Totally know their stuff re the big engined models but won't require bodily organs in payment like a Main Stealer.

...although I tend to agree that if you're going to have 6 litres on hand, U might as well spread them between 12 cylinders Toofy Grin
snow report
@admin, thanks, might actually need recommendations for Glasgow Merc independants actually as I'm moving there for work for a while hence buying a car more suited to Scottish roads than London traffic...

V12 may well be on the cards at some point but more in sports car form than luxury saloon form (Ferrari 550/575 please!) but a but a bit more saving to do first Toofy Grin

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 11-07-21 20:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
DrNo wrote:
@admin, thanks, might actually need recommendations for Glasgow Merc independants

A bit outside Glasgow but not too far and they have a great reputation and are nice guys.
https://www.merparts.com/
ski holidays
@T Bar, great, noted, thanks!
ski holidays
@DrNo, You are going to Scotland! I thought you had never been north of Watford, take care it may be quite a shock Very Happy
Enjoy your W212, I had a few hours in one at Silverstone which was an immense amount of fun.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy