Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quality (and compatibility) of file guides and diamond stones

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there!

I do my own ski maintenance and I'm looking to upgrade my Swix combi edger, but I have a few questions.

1) Side edge file guide

In principle I wanted a Holmenkol Profi Edger (which I've found for €33 incl. postage and a file), Swix Phantom (€27 - https://www.ekosport.eu/swix-affuteuse-de-carres-phantom-r-21-p-1-30606.html) or Vola Ergoss (€33), but I've heard from a few sources (including Spyderjon) that set file guides are simply better, so I'm looking into those. The issue is that these are quite expensive (at least €25-30 each - surprisingly expensive if you consider it's a fairly simple tool), so even if I only purchase a 87º file (although it'd be nice to have one or two more angles as well), that's already pricier than an adjustable one... I've checked Spyderjon's Piste Office as well, but as I live in the Netherlands, I think it'd be a bit tricky and expensive with postage and all.

So I started looking for cheaper options and found these from IGOSKI for €8,50 a piece:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32719051198.html

The question is: any idea if these file guides are any good? I mean, would I be better off with one of these, or with an adjustable edger (like the Holmenkol/Swix/Vola above)? Also, how's the grip on these metal guides+clamp? The adjustable ones just seem easier to grip...

2) Diamond stones

I've seen tons of different stones, and in principle my preferred options are these, as they're from a known brand, look decent and are by far the cheapest (€11 each): https://www.ekosport.eu/swix-pierre-diamantee-100mm-21-p-9-7613.html
I believe they have in 200, 400 and 600 grit (I've read 200-400-900 is the ideal combo, but this should be fine for now
But I've also seen some other stones, not only much more expensive ones (up to €35), but also ones that look quite different, like these:

My questions are: is there a high difference in quality between these files (especially Swix the ones I wanna buy)? And these stone types are all compatible with the file guides above, right?

3) Base edge file guide

I know we're not supposed to file the base edge once the angle has been set, but I'd like to have a file guide to at least pass the diamond stones on them sometimes.
In principle I was planning to get an adjustable Holmenkol/Vola guide (€26), but then I saw this Holmenkol set with 3 guides for €20 shipped:
https://sportfits.eu/products/holmenkol-base-edge-file-guide-set-0-50-0-70-1-00

Do you know if these are any good?

Also, I'm assuming those clamps with a screw are better than spring clamps. Is that correct?

Many thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have an Holmenkol Profi Edger - never had any real issues with it but equally I would be happy to use a fixed given I do everything at 87 and I can imagine it would be slightly less wobbly. I get mine as part of a starter kit.

Also in the starter kit came a Moonflex diamond file (600 grit) and that's the only one I've used. When I got a new one I looked into if there were other (better) options but didn't seem to be much in the way of opinions/reviews so just got the same.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There isn't an adjustable side edge angle guide on the market that has repeatable adjustments so I always recommend a fixed angle guide. A strong sping clamp is far better/faster than a screw clamp, plus the screw clamp models don't have as much versatility as to the positioning of the tools meaning that wear is concentrated in a smaller area. And having rollers might seem fancy but they just clogg/jam etc and can then mark the ski base.

The best diamond files on the market (ie grade of diamond/flatness etc) are Moonflex and you'd need the Pro/102mm length. Moonflex are pricey but they make up for it in durability.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
There isn't an adjustable side edge angle guide on the market that has repeatable adjustments

Could you expand on what that means?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, I could be wrong (it has happened!) but I think he means that each time you set it it'll be slightly different. So even if you think you're setting it to the same angle it won't quite be.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tom Doc wrote:
@Layne, I could be wrong (it has happened!) but I think he means that each time you set it it'll be slightly different. So even if you think you're setting it to the same angle it won't quite be.

Precisely, adjustable file guides are often criticised for not being 100% consistent.
Also, sepending on which model you have, it can happen that you accidentally change the angle while using it (as I've done one too many times when shaving my hair...), but I don't think that's really an issue with your Holmenkol Profi Edger.
But at least these side edge guides have a "fixed" spot for each angle, which is good. Many base edge guides, on the other hand, just use a sliding tool to adjust the angle, and then you really have to be 100% precise each time you change the angle, or you might end up with 0.93 or 1.12º... I think this lad puts it quite well: http://www.skituning101.com/2010/02/ski-tuning-101-presents.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tom Doc, @Gustavo the Gaper, cheers. All makes sense.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
......I think this lad puts it quite well: http://www.skituning101.com/2010/02/ski-tuning-101-presents.html

Yes, except that lad is totally wrong about the basic plastic Kunzmann base edge angle guides. What everyone that ever reviews the various base edge angle guides fails to realise is that the guide is just a shim that lifts the end of the tool (alu-oxide or a fine diamond - never a metal file) off the ski base and holds it at a consistent angle. It's simple trig, so a the shim on the 1 degree guide is 60mm from the edge of the ski and it's 1mm thick to give a 1 degree inclune. The fact that it is plastic makes absolutely no difference whatsoever as there is no wear ever takes place. The stiffness required for the cutter to cut accurately comes from the cutting tool itself, not the actual guide. The Kunzmann plastic base edge angle guides are actually the best on the market so they're just dead simple and dirt cheap. As the article says, you shouldn't be using a metal file on the base edge angle but instead you should be just maintaining the factory angle. And, contrary to that article, they're the basic Kunzmann plastic guides are also dead easy to hold/use and they should be held perpendicular to the edge:

Metal angle adjustable base edge guides should only for setting a base edge angle following a flat grind or for increasing an existing base edge angle (you cannot of course reduce a base edge angle unless the ski has a base grind first).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's great to hear, many thanks! Because the Holmenkol base guides I saw (https://sportfits.eu/products/holmenkol-base-edge-file-guide-set-0-50-0-70-1-00) actually look very similar to the Kunzmann (as is awfully often the case with ski maintenance tools - nearly identical products with a different colour and logo). I was just afraid they were a bit awkward to hold as he argued, but if you say they're good, I'll take your word for it.

Also, one more question: do the Moonflex mini guides work well with their Pro files? Or are they not a good match?

Thanks again!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You need the 70mm length Moonflex Mini diamond files for the Moonflex Mini side edge angle guides as the slot in the guide only fits 70mm length tools.

For the 'clamp on' style side edge guides you want the 102mm Moonflex Pro diamond files.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy