Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mogul skis - how short is too short?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to purchase some mogul skis, but finding them in 176cm or greater is difficult.

I'm about 6'2/195 and currently ski on some Hart F17s (classic) c. 2011-2012 at 182cm. There's some nice mogul skis available at 171cm but have been advised this will change my pivot point in the bumps (not to mention a slight loss of stability at high speed).

Is this a small tradeoff, or will it likely be very noticeable and worsen/mess with my technique, etc. Any input or past experience downsizing from mogul skiers would be helpful.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is the size range for the skis ? If 171 is the longest (and assuming they're not female-specific), then they'll be aimed at someone with your profile (though you've only given your height. I'm assuming you're averageish weight for your height, and ski well and aggressively (otherwise I doubt you'd be looking for mogul skis)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How is your mogul skiing at the moment? And your normal piste skiing ability? Skiing bumps is a different art to big carved turns, for instance, so I don't think that a slight loss of stability at high speed will matter much. Leg speed is important and shorter skis will definitely help. If your fore-aft balance is spot on, this will help the most.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The skis I'm looking at are the 2019/20 Hart F17s. According to hartskis.com they came as long as 176cm. These are all sold out, and finding them elsewhere appears impossible. Word has it they're not coming out with a model 2021/22 so I'm not sure whether it's worth waiting around. Btw weight is 195.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm probably black and a half. Ski mostly moguls, usually ziplining (or attempting to). My current F17s @182 work fine, but I need another pair when I don't have access to them or skiing locally.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Are you looking as a competitor, or are you looking because you like the Hart skis you already have, or do you just want a ski that performs well in moguls as well as everywhere else. I ski moguls as much as possible. I ski on a 179 k2 vicious, and a 169 k2 vicious everywhere, and as a non instructor ( in that i dont know the finer points of technical training to point out any difference) i would say I pivot under my feet regardless of length and so the pivot point doesnt change. Im 5 8 and 16 st. Prefer the 169, and am happy to be told I pivot elsewhere Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mockingbird, Welcome to Snowheads Eh oh!
Where are you based?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dallas.
Not competitive. Just like and respect the Hart brand. I also think I need a stiffer ski, which Hart's tend to be, unlike say the Twisters. As to the pivot point, I'm guessing they're thinking the short length will mess with my ability to get my hips consistently over my toes, but I don't really know and that's why I'm here - not sure the tradeoffs that I might encounter on 171s. So far I haven't heard anyone tell me this is a bad idea. But they would be a full 10cms less (and 5 cms less than some recommend) so I thought I'd ask what those 5-10cms lose.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are only a few other mogul specific skis to choose from, that I know of.
Faction - 160,166,172
Rossignol Accelere - 166,172
Elan Bloodline - 128 to 181 & 191.
ID One - Generally 168 - 178 across the range, although 1 model goes upto 182.

So if you're looking for something longer you'll need to get either the Bloodline's or one of the ID One range.
ID One's are by far the best and used by 90% of competitors on the World Cup, although the French use the Rossignol. However, they are very expensive, double the price of the Rossignol's, which you can normally find on sale in Europe. The Faction are also heavily discounted permanently in Europe.
The only ones that I have personal knowledge of are the Bloodlines that my son uses, but that's only because they produce skis small enough for him. He likes them and much prefers them to the GS skis he was using for moguls, he skis them slightly longer than his height.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
195 lbs =89kg about my weight and height, I have skied on 170s for the past 12 years with no stability issues, I do ski fast but happy to compromise on some high speed stability for the sake of maneuverability, being able to ski at high speed through bumps & trees is much more fun than simply blasting the motorway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @tangowaggon. Are you on mogul skis at 170? If not, that might make the stability issue a smaller factor (wider underfoot). Still, you have me thinking 171s might be worth the risk.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just buy a nice pair of GS skis. much the same thing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy