Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lapland - maybe Yllas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everybody,
I am thinking about going to lapland this december - I have a week off and the northern lights are supposed to be very good this winter and next winter, which I would like to see. Also the kids might like to see a certain gentleman in a red suit.

Has anyone been to lapland in December? how cold is it? should we go self-catering or catered? any recommendations or opinions on resorts? Do we need to hire thermal suits?
all the kids ski, so we hope to do that for most days.

thank you for your input (i did a search, most posts seem to be a couple of years old)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have not been myself, friends took their kids 2 years ago with neilson, thermal suits were included in the holiday price, they went half board, and were glad they did as was pricey, they enjoyed it as an alternative holiday with Santa, husky rides and toboggans but not as a ski holiday in its own right as not very varied or expansive area. The kids loved it and the cinnamon buns!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not been in December but have been in January.

"How cold is it?" This will vary every winter. The temperature can be close to or just above zero or can get down to minus 30. Your best to look at the weather forecast a few days before you go.

"Self catering or catered?" We went self catering as we stayed in a log cabin but we ate out every night. Pizzas, Burgers are reasonably priced in my opinion. Other mains were priced around 14 to 16 Euros. Steaks were about 24 Euros or more. Can't advise about staying in a hotel as I have not done it. If you do I think your evening meals will be buffet style rather than waiter/waitress service.

"recommendations or opinions on resorts?". Only been to Yllas so can't compare it to the other resorts. Yllas is quite a small villlage (restaurant, shops, bars wise) but it is very spread out. A lot of the lob cabin accomodation can be quite a walk from the centre of the village (where the supermarket restaurants are), Our log cabin was a ten minute walk from the Hotel Akas where the trips and ski bus went from and then another ten minute to the supermarket. Because of all this, Yllas feels more like it's stuck out in the wilderness and thus remains unspoilt.

If you don't want to do a lot of walking then I would suggest staying in Levi village instead which is larger and has more shops, bars, restaurants etc and is not so spread out.

Oh and as lilywhite mentioned, the ski areas in Lapland are not large. You might get bored skiing the same few slopes over and over in a weeks holiday. On the other hand, the lift passes are cheap compared to the Alps and in early/mid December and mid to late january, you will find very few people on the slopes. The ski schools in these same periods will most likely also have realtively small class sizes.

The following website forum is a good place to ask specific questions about Lapland. A lot of the forum members there are repeat visitors to Lapland

http://www.lapland-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=13
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
grey, I went with the family (Mum, Dad, sister, nephew) to Levi in Dec 2010 on the obligatory 'in search of man in red suit' trip. I was the only skier, so the trip was far more 'red suit' orientated than skiing, although I managed to get a few hours on the slopes in amongst the organised activities. If you've not been before, it's the most amazing experience and not just for the kids. wink We all totally loved it and it goes down in history as one of our most treasured memories as a family.

We went B&B in an appartment that was linked to the hotel, but ended up eating in the hotel every night too, so if doing it again would definately opt for catered or half board. The atmosphere in the hotel alone made it worth it and going pre-xmas, the sense of anticipation was definately heightened.

Temperature hovered between -14 and -24 in the five days we were there. I didn't bother with the thermal suits, nor did my Mum or sister (since they borrowed spare ski gear of mine) but nephew and Dad did use them. Dad is disabled and therefore relatively inactive so he really struggled with the cold, but my nephew was fine in his suit. Whether you need this will probably depend on the quality of the gear you already have. Take plenty of the glove warmer tea bag things (they're perfect to use as little hot water bottles when placed in an inside pocket).

Sorry I can't comment on Yllas as I don't know it, but can thoroughly recommend Levi and whilst the ski area may not be extensive, there is enough to keep you entertained for a week and to be honest, if you're going to Lapland then it's likely to be more about the 'red suit' experience than just the skiing and rightly so, you'll have a ball! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depending on when in December you are going and how the weather is there may be limited amount of slopes open.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for your replies, food for thought and certainly helpful advice.

I agree about the timing, but I have a week off then, and can't really change it that easily.

Hmm, lots more conversation i think with husband - maybe a weekend would be better....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ruka is the best resort in making snow, first to open every year and they usually get almost everything open for Christmas. But a lot smaller hill than Ylläs. If you can't decide where to go just before you go, Ruka is the safest bet. But not quite in Lapland.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
grey, we went to Lapland last December on a Santa trip, not to Yllas though we went to Karesuando in the far North on the Finnish/Swedish border. You can't ski there so no good for you.

A friend went at the same time to Ruka and stayed in a hotel on the slopes though they are non-skiers.

A couple of points:

last year there was no snow in Lapland in early December and the Santa operators were cancelling trips due to lack of snow and being unable to complete the activities. The snow came just in time in mid December and then came down in vast quantities thankfully. I think you take your chances booking an early December trip in advance. Last year there was loads of late availability at good prices to choose from with the main Santa tour operators.

Don't book a Northern Lights excursion in advance, you can book out there when you know if the weather is favourable. If you pre-book they run them anyway even when there's zilch chance of seeing them.

If you book a short break be very wary of pre-booking all the extra excursions offered, you probably don't need them as there is a good amount of overlap with the included activities and you could end up with a very punishing schedule such as being out all day from what is in effect 6.00am (with the time difference) to well after midnight on a Northern Lights trip, not a great move with young kids.

Re. the Thermal Suits, all the operators supply them so take them anyway then decide if it suits you to wear them or wear your own gear. You wouldn't want to ski in a thermal suit but for hanging around and doing the activities they are good.

I would go catered. The food in our hotel was really excellent compared to what I had been expecting. I think self catering could be expensive and you would waste time shopping.

Re. the Santa experience, if this bit is important to you then do your homework very well as all the main operators do things slightly differently which affect how 'personal' the Santa meeting is. My family and 3 families I know well all went to Lapland last year, all with a different operator, all had hugely varying experiences with regard to the actual Santa meeting. Just ask if you want any further details on this.

I think if I was doing it again and had a week, I would consider one of the Crystal/Neilson ski package weeks if I could get a good deal and then DIY my own Santa/Husky/Snowmobile/Northern Lights trips once out there.

Hope this helps a bit Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's my post from some other forum, but it will do quite well here to Smile
Levi is definitely more fancy place, and by far more party place then Yllas. But as far as skiing is concerned, Yllas is better then Levi for my taste. Sure, Levi has its Levi Black, which is hosting men and women SL WC race every year, but that's about it. All other courses are pretty easy and quite short. So for me Levi has one useable course, while Yllas has more of them.
So it depends what you want, and what you are looking for. If partying all nights long is one of things you want, then there's only Levi. Yllas is kinda separated to two sides of hill, Äkäslompolo on north, and it's a bit bigger but quite sleepy village, and Ylläsjärvi on south, where you literally have only few hotels and cabins. If you are there for skiing only, and you don't care about partying with crazy Finns, then Yllas would be my choice.
As far as temperatures are concerned, it can be anything from -10 down to -40c, but if it's regular winter, which this one wasn't you are more in -20 to -30c range. But thing is, that -30c up in Lapland doesn't feel nearly as bad as -15c down here in Alps. Humidity is different, so unless you are near water (neither Levi nor Yllas ski courses are near water), it doesn't really feel bad. And back in my race days, when we were up training/racing, I was actually wearing less clothes at -35c then I normally wear here in Alps at -10c.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old forum posts are actually useful sometimes:) Thanks to everyone for the advice here! I've been twice in December, and the cold is fine - just make a big fire and you're good to go. But the darkness gets you, especially if you've never been without sun for any extended period of time before. Just bring Vitamin D supplements if you're there in December/Jan, which helps to avoid getting down and depressed with the lack of sun. Personally, I think late Feb/early Mar is the best time to go for a winter vibe - it's still just as cold, but there's a decent amount of sunlight. There's honestly nothing exciting about having no light - you just end up being inside most of the time because you can't even see where you're going outside. I wrote a legit article on everything I know about Lapland which you'll find useful: https://baselbears.com/lapland/lapland-adventure-trip-guide/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So...

We have been 3 times now - twice flying out on new years eve and once in Feb.

All occasions going to levi, and staying in log cabins which we much prefer - you are going to lapland, the log cabins set it appart from other places. There are nice places to each, but we tended to cook our own evening meals and then pop in for regular stops on the slopes when it got chilly

By far we prefer new year. Yes it's colder, yes it's dark all the time, but that makes it incredibly magical. In December, the snow on the trees never melts, which is cool. In Feb, it can look a little bland

All 3 occasions snow has been in abundance, albeit as mentioned above, one or 2 slopes not open, but more than enough for s week especially with kids. And remember, you are not going there just for skiing, so you need less ski area.

We tended to ski most days, but just a morning or afternoon and then do other activities - this way you don't get frozen to the core. If you do get cold there are huts with fires all over the slopes and on the snowmobile runs. Always a fire going and most take sausages/ marshmallows to cook - the kids will love that.

Defo do the huskies, snowmobiling, reindeer, ice fishing and xc skiing. Just bare in mind when on the huskies, it gets cold! One of my eyelids froze shut Smile Toofy Grin

You don't get cold on the snowmobiles as they are heated.

As for Northern lights, bar in mind December can be cloudy - the lights may be put but you may not see them. On our 3 visits we did not see them, but flying to norway the day after one trip and we got an amazing show with clear skies.

I like levi 15min transfer from the airport too.

As for activities, book them direct with levi rather than a tour operator - cheaper, more choice and you get to choose your time of day.

What else.....

Oh ski lockers - cheap as chips and at the bottom of the slope. Talking about the bottom of the slope, you can sledge on it at night as they groom the one last, so the let people have their fun.

If you do fly out new years eve there's fire works and a big family party too Happy

Lovely people the Finnish - whichever resort you choose, you will love

PS the santa experience is a rip off and dull, but for the kids you just have to grit your teeth Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh for lords sake. I've made a rookie error in all my excitement and replied to a serious thread revival.

I wonder how the holiday went........ Puzzled Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy