Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Killy - January or April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads, trying to decide the best time to hit Espace Killy. Have options in mid Jan and mid April. Been there many times but never in April.
Does anyone have any experience good or bad of April snow? Fully aware of what January can bring but need some April info to help the decision.
Would be staying Val D or top Tignes villlages. Cheers in advance!!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mid April is fine in Tignes (check Easter dates!). The runs down into Val D can be very slushy by midday.
It's all a matter of timing and the sun to get the best snow. The elusive spring snow can be fab. I have skied powder on the 1st of May on the Grand Motte.
If it's after Easter then apres will be more limited as the season winds down, though some of the closing down parties do get riotous!
You'll need far fewer clothes, but don't forget shorts and T shirts for the terraces until the sun goes down.
Oh and a bucket of sun tan lotion and a white helmet!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Coco, how much do you dislike slush? I have done both, would probably pick Jan over April, but it's close, skiing around like a hooligan in shorts and a t-shirt on sun softened has something to be said for it. The runs into La Daille will be crap and the runs into La Breviere likely closed in mid April but the great thing about the EK is that you can spend pretty much all day above approx 2300m. Mid Jan and the Motte is more likely than not to be very icy and some of the itenenaries not yet filled in. Both?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it changes your decision at all, Easter 2022 is 15-18 April.

We're planning on Tignes for that weekend, arriving Wednesday night, back Monday night.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Coco, you're set on Killy?

If I could only go one week and it had to be either mid-Jan or mid-April I would probably go for the former but I probably wouldn't go to Killy.

If I had to go one of those weeks and I was all set on Killy I would probably go mid-April
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Coco, Cold short days, less base but more chance of powder in Jan. Warm sunny days, big base on North facing stuff and Spring snow conditions in April. Personally I’d choose April with that choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Coco,
I would choose the upper Tignes resorts for April, if only for firmer pistes for the 'last run of the day' over Val D/ lower Tignes.
Nearly all the pistes should be open in April, though timing would be crucial as regards the quality of the snow.
And take factor loads suncream, plus total block for the ears/nose/lips and UV resistant goggles & sunglasses - April is when even the seasonnaires get panda eyes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers all, it doesn’t bother me but we have some first timers and I want to make sure they have a good experience.
Skied many times over Xmas & New Year and been relatively lucky with the weather, the cold doesn’t bother me.
Was thinking Val Claret if it’s April for all the reasons mentioned previously, but do even Double M, Grattalu, Henri
Etc get slushy that time of year???
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IME - 1 very warm week, something like the 14-21st of April

Double M - Only the very final pitch could have been described as slushy, really a huge amount of fun top to bottom even till late in the day
Grattalu - Also good all day long but the final section of Carline can be unpleasant, low and faces South
Henri - Don't really remember, not a great piste anyway in my opinion

For beginners, I would expect the top half of Bellevarde to be in good condtion
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Coco, interesting questions, i'll be in the same situation as you. Sister in law and partner coming with us for the Easter weekend, both first timers.

Will keep an eye on responses
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was in Les Menuires 13th to 20th April 2019

Also been to Paradiski something like 9th to 16th April 2011 (a poor season), also been ADH late season in a warm week.

If you are skiing purely on piste then the day will usually start with well groomed but a little bit icy pistes gradually warming to a sweet spot of just having the right amount of grip to then degenerating into out and out slush, almost water skiing below at 1800m. Any tree protection helps a little bit lower down.

For first timers it will probably be a better experience than mid-Jan which can be bleak and in the high mountains if the weather hits inhospitable.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’d say April. Much better snow cover, much longer days and less likely to have poor visibility or lift closures which are a pain on a 6 day holiday.
I’d say April at EK is one of the best times and places to ski in the Alps, unless you really hate spring snow.
Have fun whatever you decide Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter S wrote:
I’d say April. Much better snow cover, much longer days and less likely to have poor visibility or lift closures which are a pain on a 6 day holiday.
I’d say April at EK is one of the best times and places to ski in the Alps, unless you really hate spring snow.
Have fun whatever you decide Cool

I'd second that. And still a good chance of some big snowfalls. We've had a fair bit of April powder over the years in both EK and Val Thorens. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Took my son to Val two seasons ago, the week before the Easter break, as his school broke up early. Completely empty resort and slopes. Slush at the bottom, but we had two nights of snow, so loads of fresh powder at the top!! The only time I've been to either val or tignes in January was to Tignes, and it snowed all day everyday for the two weeks I was there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy