Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Journey to becoming a ski instructor

Poster: A snowHead
@skimottaret, totally get where you're coming from.

I'll have hotel/apartment costs and lift pass costs etc as i'll be skiing anyway, albeit it'll make things a bit more expensive.

Cat suit, seen one on racers skibay for a reasonable price I might get hold off.
Cool race bag, got one already for dry slope stuff.
GS skis, picking up a cheap pair on the same day as the ski test in Chill Factore, although those Dynastar skis were one of my favourites at previous ski tests Shocked Toofy Grin

I'll take the GS skis with me on every trip this season to get some miles in on them, and just see how it goes. Worst comes to worst, I don't do it this season.

It's a shame the course calendar has the L1 Off piste security test on the dates they are, as it looks like the last one is 1 week before I'd be able to get out there, as that could have been another module potentially ticked off.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Feels right to post on this thread again as I'm currently away on my L2 course.

2 days down, and the weather has been pants for 95% of it, so we've spent a fair amount working on our plough parallels and basic parallels, specifically turn shape, and a fair bit around leadership/group management, particularly in relation to the poor weather we've.

A tiny bit of carving today when the light allowed, but a very short window of visibility for that. Forecast looks to improve between Tuesday and Thursday, before more snow again on Friday.

A good/small group of us, makes for a fun time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:

Have you considered Lion Taming?

Ha! My thought exactly when I saw the post. But alas, I think the poster is only 30, and so like many here, won't understand the reference.

But here it is anyway NehNeh

http://youtube.com/v/NAOQH4xEyhM
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good luck! I hope you do well this is a great thing to do. The deal is not always great from an employee perspective... lots of unpaid time, ask the Vail Resorts employees about their lawsuit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Course over and done with, and a pass for me. snowHead snowHead

Mixed bag weather wise this week, Sunday, Monday and today there was poor visibility and high winds, Tuesday to Thursday was pretty much as close to perfection as you could hope for.

On Monday afternoon and evening it snowed between boot and knee deep, so pistes on Tuesday were soft and cut up. Wednesday and Thursday they became firmer and held up better. There's been another couple of inches of snow this evening in the village at 1500m.

Next steps now are to continue working on my own skiing, I intend to take a Level 3 Tech exam in the middle of April, particular focus for me is on bumps and shorts.

I skied on 165 FIS slalom skis this week, but going forward, I need something longer, around a 175cm ski, with a radius of 15-17m. The fast long turns just require a ski that bit longer than the slalom ski.

A great week, with a really good bunch of fellow trainees, and great to meet some new trainers as well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Congrats!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well done, @swskier. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent. Did anyone fail and why?
What is your journey onwards to Tech 3? do you have more hours to do?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skithesteelstealtheski, @pam w, @davidof, thank you all.

Of the 5 of us doing the assessment, 4 passed. 1 didn't pass on short turns and their teaching assessment.

In terms of my L3 tech, no hours required to do it, teach hours are only required for the L3 teach.

The exam is the 3rd week of April, and made up of 3 days training, 3 days assessment. Prior to that I'll have 3 or 4 weeks more skiing, and I'll be focusing on developing my shorts and moguls. My longs are there for a L3 already, my shorts are probably a borderline pass following improvements this week, so I just need to cement those improvements. Moguls I'll put the hours in on. The key areas for me are separation and angulation in the shorter turns, and that'll improve on shorts and moguls with some focused practise.

I'll also be focusing a lot on fitness, as that'll really start becoming a factor beyond level 2.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good stuff !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
way to go. How much did the race training on dendex help with your ski development?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mother hucker, I'd say I'm a distinctly average dry slope racer at best, I can't get anywhere near my level of snow skiing. The key bit though is that I've been on skis most weeks and for things like general posture and balance this has helped.

Certainly if i think back to when I first started this I'm not sure I could do a great one ski carve/ javelin turn, now my posture and balance is improved and I can do those turns.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, that's the great thing about dry slope race club every week someone's got their eye on you tweaking flaws
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, congrats, is L2 a week long course now?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, yes with IASI it is. You can also split it in to two, Part A and Part B. Part A can be completed in the UK over 2 days, and Part B done over 4 days in a mountain environment.

My understanding is that you might also be able to do a BASI L2 in 1 week also nowadays.
snow conditions
@swskier, ah, forgot you were on IASI! Where did you do the course? BASI is 8 days on mountain afaik
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@swskier, ah, forgot you were on IASI! Where did you do the course? BASI is 8 days on mountain afaik

8 days, that's getting a bit short.
snow report
@kitenski, I was in Hintertux with Alpine Coaching (Pete Gillespie).

Is 8 days down from a previous 10 days?
snow report
@swskier, nice!

Yeah looks like it, the one I did years ago was 10 days, they appear to have a level 2 UK instructor now which is a shorter course but says for instructors working in the UK ?
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@swskier, nice!

Yeah looks like it, the one I did years ago was 10 days, they appear to have a level 2 UK instructor now which is a shorter course but says for instructors working in the UK ?

which means BASI won't cover you with their insurance abroad but a Swiss ski school might still hire you on their own insurance.
ski holidays
@kitenski, not really sure what the point of the Level 2 UK qualification is for BASI, seems to be about half the training of the regular level 2? I guess if you have no intention of working abroad it's a slightly higher level, but other than that, seems redundant.
snow conditions
@swskier, looks like it maybe a way to split the Level 2 as the BASI webpage says

Quote:
If a candidate passes the UK Level 2 course, they are eligible to book onto the 4 day Level 2 Re-assessment course. The candidate will be assessed in Technical and if successful, would give them the Level 2 qualification.
ski holidays
@kitenski, ok so it's sort of the equivalent to the Part A and Part B in IASI.
latest report
@swskier, well done on the pass and good luck with any future training/work.

Jnr completed his L2 qualification with the CSIA course in Soldeu in March. He did a 6 day short course. They also offer a 12 day course. Annoyingly, at the end of the course he was told he would be able to work anywhere (qualification wise!) apart from Andorra where he did the course and where I live (we hadn’t really done the research before he did it)! He’s just been back to do 6 days top up where he just needed to turn up and complete any of the tasks without any extra assessment since he had already qualified. He’s now doing a two day mountain first aid course.

He’s due to start work here in Andorra for the season at the beginning of January. Fingers crossed with the paperwork for his residency/work permit.
snow conditions
@hammerite, thank you.

One of the younger guys at Gloucester Ski centre did his L2 CSIA last spring in Andorra and said he had to do the 12 day course so that he could teach anywhere.

Fingers crossed for your son. Andorra is on my list as somewhere to try to get some hours teaching next season.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

which means BASI won't cover you with their insurance abroad but a Swiss ski school might still hire you on their own insurance.

Quite so. The insurance always seemed to me to be completely redundant, given that pretty much anywhere a BASI L2 or L3 would only ever be working through a Ski School anyway.

As such I've not renewed my BASI membership for a couple of years now; the ski school here is only interested in the qualifications you've achieved and has no requirement to see a "licence" that is in any event completely meaningless in CH, so I just don't see any point in subsidising an organisation which fundamentally does nothing for me.

TBH if I could wind the clock back ten or eleven years to when I first started my own journey I would not go through BASI at all, but just do the Swiss system from the beginning. A couple of our instructors have actually switched from BASI (both were L3) and achieved their Brevets this season, given that even if you get the BASI L4 you _still_ need to do a conversion anyway. I'm pleased for them but won't be following suit, just too much of a time and financial commitment for too little reward snowHead
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
TBH if I could wind the clock back ten or eleven years to when I first started my own journey I would not go through BASI at all, but just do the Swiss system from the beginning. A couple of our instructors have actually switched from BASI (both were L3) and achieved their Brevets this season, given that even if you get the BASI L4 you _still_ need to do a conversion anyway. I'm pleased for them but won't be following suit, just too much of a time and financial commitment for too little reward snowHead

Swapping is a good plan, at least for portability as opposed to getting an "equivalence" where your qualif is recognized but that recognition isn't transposable to another system. For example the Swiss don't care about someone having a French carte pro but the original qualification.
snow conditions
@swskier, Jnr was on the course with someone from Gloucester ski centre. Maybe they were told at the same time. Seems strange to offer a 6 day course that isn’t recognised.

Andorra is a bit strange though. A friend is L3 in the Norwegian system. Before she worked here she had to go out skiing for the day with the local instructors union who quizzed here about her knowledge while on chair lifts and watched her ski. They deemed her to be a high L2 so she got paid on the L2 rate.

Working here for a few weeks here and there can be quite tricky. The residency process is quite involved (for the ski school) and not usually worth it for a few weeks. However, it isn’t in known to bend the rules if they get desperate for instructors.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have just found out today that Interski now have an agreement with the Aosta Government to allow UK passport holders to teach out there! snowHead snowHead

Unfortunately I can't get out there to teach this season, but bodes well for next season to get a load of mountain experience and hours in, that are needed for the L3 teach module!

https://www.interskisnowsportschool.co.uk/Docs/latest_news_55_uk_passport_holders.pdf
latest report
Last week I ticked off the L1 Off Piste module, which was run in Nendaz.

A really great week, lots of theory to it, not all just skiing.

Pete Mason from Chamonix Experience was our trainer for the week, and he did a really good job. We spent 3 or 4 mornings going through powerpoints/theory, and skied full days the other 3 days or so.

Lots of new info for me, as someone who has no real off piste experience (besides nipping off the edge of pistes). As a group we had to plan a couple of tours, which I found more challenging than some of the others, just because they're based in the 4V's so know the areas well.

We had a 50/50 split of genders in the group, which was nice, and a mix of nationalities, Brits, French, Swiss and Argentinian.

Really good week. Now a week of freeskiing in the 4V's, before a week of training, then the L3 tech exam in Engelberg. Finishing off with a punt at the speedtest in Zermatt before coming home.

Half the group from last week are also on the L3 tech exam, so it'll be good to go in to that knowing some people.
latest report
@swskier, can you share a bit more about what is covered on the off piste module please? Is there any Touring or is it lift served??
snow report
@swskier, FWT final challenger on the Bec shoulder on Tuesday. There are some top riders competing including Martin Bender, the local favourite. It’s a must see if you’re in the area.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqizyUbM3Ss/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@swskier, can you share a bit more about what is covered on the off piste module please? Is there any Touring or is it lift served??

Sure, with IASI yes there's touring. We did a maximum of around 300 metres. Lots of learning how to use transceivers, shovel and probe. Learning about different types of avalanches, how to read the snowpack by digging snow pits.

You could almost call it an intro to touring course really, similar to what's included in this course:

http://www.chamex.com/trip_courses/ski-touring-course-chamonix-introduction
snow report
@BobinCH, will check it out
snow report
swskier wrote:
Have just found out today that Interski now have an agreement with the Aosta Government to allow UK passport holders to teach out there! snowHead snowHead

Unfortunately I can't get out there to teach this season, but bodes well for next season to get a load of mountain experience and hours in, that are needed for the L3 teach module!

https://www.interskisnowsportschool.co.uk/Docs/latest_news_55_uk_passport_holders.pdf

Surprised to see they are only paying £150 for a week.

When I did some weeks there in 2010 they were paying £200 for the same 1-week package, which is equivalent to £330 now inflation-adjusted using RPI. So, they are now paying less than half the amount they did back in 2010 in real terms.
snow report
@musehead, if you had EU working rights back in February, they were so in need of instructors that they were paying €650 for the week plus €200 travel expenses, and then the usual full board hotel room package
snow report
swskier wrote:
@musehead, if you had EU working rights back in February, they were so in need of instructors that they were paying €650 for the week plus €200 travel expenses, and then the usual full board hotel room package

bloody immigrants, lowering wages
ski holidays
@davidof,
Quote:

bloody immigrants, lowering wages

yeah...put them all together with the brexiteers, tow the lot of 'em out into the middle of the Atlantic and bomb the Fitzwilliams! Laughing
snow report
Today was the end of my Level 3 Tech exam out in Engelberg.

Pleased to have received a pass snowHead Longs ended up as my weakest area, which just passed the criteria, but a pass is a pass I guess! It was a tough week weather wise, half of it was poor vis and snowing, and 2 of the remaining 3 days were soft snow on the pistes, which makes the performance skiing elements tricky.

Really pleased to have got that one in the bag though. I wasn't sure how i'd get on with this one, as it's a big step up from Level 2, and I've not done a season so I felt like I'd be a bit behind vs the other candidates, although i've been out here 4 weeks now, so i've had a lot of time skiing this winter.

Spent a week prior to the course on a L3 & 4 training week with the Warren Smith Academy, and for sure, if it wasn't for this training, I'd not have passed the course.

3 days of GS training now, starting tomorrow morning, and the ISIA speedtest in Zermatt next Wednesday, then it's the long drive back to Blighty and the end of my season.

The goal was to try and get the L1 Off Piste and L3 Tech in the bag, and the speedtest was something to have a go at, so whatever happens come next Wednesday, it's been a hugely successful season.
snow conditions
Well done, really impressive achievement. I've skied a lot more than you over the years and wouldn't fancy the L3 or even L2.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy