Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK France UK Travel restrictions tests and the like

Poster: A snowHead
More in doubt after a phone all this evening. My daughters had a residential booked with NCS mid July and they phoned to say it was cancelled because of an update on guidance from government. I’m guessing that 21st June isn’t going to happen now, which might push everything back a bit
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Timmycb5, I would be cautious of using a cancelled residential as a signal that things might not go back to normal on 21st June. They might, they might not. The government tend to let everyone know what their intentions are at the same time - or what’s happening gets leaked to the press at the same time!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Super Steezy, Did you make it to Finale Ligure - planning same route myself next week
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Covid-US-and-UK-on-France-s-amber-travel-list-from-June-9

Some light for people with two vaccinations from the UK, however the French version is less clear and a bit ambiguous. Positive sign though
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alex A, thanks for that - very good news. Be interesting to see what the deal is for under 18s and whether there will be a testing regime that exempts them from quarantine.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Still struggling with the actual science that's being followed ... it's not any science recognised by actual science (political science is not actually science)...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GreenDay wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@GreenDay, everyone I speak to, French or English, round here says they think it's purely political.

It's odd though, because if a new variant starts to go round Europe due to travel relaxation, they will just end up looking daft.

As I said above, I am not singling out France, most countries in our region are making decisions which appear to be made up on the hoof.

No government thinks that these border restrictions will prevent the transmission of variants. It is all about gaining time for vaccination by reducing the rate at which novel varients are seeded. Pretty sensible policy if you ask me- a few weeks can make a huge difference at current rates of vaccination. Note that it is not just the absolute numbers vaccinated, but more importantly the breaking of chains of transmission.

Those who think that restrictions are "purely political" are wrong- every major government is working with scientists and statisticians to balance the various factors of public health, vaccination programs and damage to economy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JamesHJ, given the reports of the EU opening up to vaccinated travellers, their science must be different to ours then.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowhound wrote:
@JamesHJ, given the reports of the EU opening up to vaccinated travellers despite much lower vaccination rates, their science must be different to ours then.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowhound wrote:
@JamesHJ, given the reports of the EU opening up to vaccinated travellers, their science must be different to ours then.

If you are facing an existential crisis (i.e. a race between vaccination and more shutdown), it also makes sense to ban vaccinated travellers from areas with novel varients. Again, it is all probability. There is a reasonable likelyhood of vaccinated people transmitting (say ~10 % ?), and a reasonable likelyhood of people falsely claiming vaccination/evading checks. Hence, you impose conditions to retard those channels of transmission as much as possible = increased border checks on some people.

n.b. not to mention children of travellers, who are exempt from vaccination, and more likely to be asymptomatic carriers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The last time I checked it was us leaking novel variants (none as yet evading vaccines) rather than EU countries. Yet they are prepared to let us in once vaccinated but we won’t let vaccinated UK people back from these countries, even if vaccinated, without quarantine or multiple tests.
There’s risk everywhere in life. Then transmission risk of vaccinated people is not zero but is much much lower. If you’re waiting for zero risk then you’ll be waiting a long time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowhound wrote:
The last time I checked it was us leaking novel variants (none as yet evading vaccines) rather than EU countries. Yet they are prepared to let us in once vaccinated but we won’t let vaccinated UK people back from these countries, even if vaccinated, without quarantine or multiple tests.

Ah, OK, I thought you were commenting on FR, rather than UK policy.

snowhound wrote:
There’s risk everywhere in life. Then transmission risk of vaccinated people is not zero but is much much lower. If you’re waiting for zero risk then you’ll be waiting a long time.

Right, I agree with your general point. However, if you think that you are close to a tipping point with vaccinations/herd immunity (as in France), it makes sense to clamp down and try to gain time. I believe that is what the French are doing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Then transmission risk of vaccinated people is not zero but is much much lower.

@snowhound, lower than zero would be impressive. No, non zero but massively lower than unvaccinated, early measures around 85% ... probably better than that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JamesHJ,
Quote:

every major government is working with scientists and statisticians to balance the various factors of public health, vaccination programs and damage to economy.

... except the UK it would seem ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would note that the UK=>FR quarantine requirements for the vaccinated have flipped in less than a week ...

Science or politics?
latest report
@under a new name, or maybe more people vaccinated and vaccination status easier to prove? I just wish the UK government would reciprocate, it's been a long 15 months since I locked our apartment door.
snow report
@Hells Bells, I think the Frebch quarantine was a political reaction to UK’s nonsense over (say) Jersey fishing and it was rescinded as, well, more politics. Absolutely convinced there’s no actual science in play, on this particular occasion.
snow conditions
oops, double

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 7-06-21 7:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Just as a point of interest (no judgement offered either way) - fewer new covid cases reported in France than in the UK today. Suspected that would happen some time this week.

Your move Boris.... who'll have a chair when the music stops this time?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy