Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arcteryx Atom Anarock vs Hoody LT and SL??

Poster: A snowHead
I know there is a lot of love on here for the Atom, loads of questions!!

Do people wear those outside the slopes, dog walking, hiking under a waterproof etc?
When skiing what kind of temps would you wear it in, and would a base layer an Atom and a shell cover most temps?
With the folk that have the hooded version, how do you find that under a ski jacket?

Then on the different models now available, I think the LT is the one that has been around a fair bit, but trying to understand difference between hoody, anorak and jacket!!

There is the following available. I guess the LT is going to be more durable/last longer than the newer superlight versions???

ATOM LT hoody - full length zip,375g, has a hood, water resistant Tyono 20 fabric
ATOM SL hoody - full length zip,269g, has a hood, DWR finish but appears to use the same Tyono 20 fabric as above
ATOM SL anorak - half length zip, 245g, has a hood, packs into its own pocket
ATOM LT jacket - full length zip, 345g, no hood, water resistant Tyono 20 fabric

Cheers,

Greg

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 30-04-21 15:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mine has a hood on it and works like "a hoodie", not a jacket.
I can't remember if I ever used the hood, but I never noticed it getting in the way.
I'd rather not have a hood on my shell jacket as those are a bit annoying.

I use mine for snowboarding in typically minus 10 through minus 20, sometimes colder.
I tend to forget season-to-season what layers I use.

Mine obviously is the old format - they were all the rage when they came out.
Not sure what the new ones are about. Mine shows no obvious wear after a few seasons but then I only use them for snowboarding.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philwig wrote:
Mine has a hood on it and works like "a hoodie", not a jacket.
I can't remember if I ever used the hood, but I never noticed it getting in the way.
I'd rather not have a hood on my shell jacket as those are a bit annoying.

I use mine for snowboarding in typically minus 10 through minus 20, sometimes colder.
I tend to forget season-to-season what layers I use.

Mine obviously is the old format - they were all the rage when they came out.
Not sure what the new ones are about. Mine shows no obvious wear after a few seasons but then I only use them for snowboarding.

I know what you mean about hoods when you are wearing a helmet etc but there zero point buying a high performance shell without hood. In the conditions that the weather performance of of a top end shell is really needed you are going to need a hood! Otherwise you can manage with much lower spec material. I guess that's why it is pretty unusual to find goretex shells without hoods
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski,

I believe the Sl has thinner insulation and some stretch side panels rather than insulated sides. I think the difference is more warmth (and breathability) rather than durability. I don't have either but I reckon LT if it is mainly downhill skiing dog walking etc but consider the SL if you are going to be using it for a lot of skinning etc and/or tend to run hot.

I have a Fjern (sportspursuit own brand) copy of the Atom idea and I wear it a lot - super practical and comfortable and you have to worry much less about it getting damp or ripped vs down. I don't use it much for skiing - just have alternatives that fit together better and normally I'm just wearing base layer or light fleece under shell. My son wears one for skiing all the time and loves it. I might buy an Atom or a patagonia equivalent sort of thing when the Fjern gets battered.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[thread drift alert] wink Much as I appreciate being told what's good for me,
I've never ever used the hood on any shell jacket, so for me there's no point in them at all.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jedster, in 21 years of having high end shells with hoods I I don't think I have ever used one while skiing... (that's probs 1,000 ski days ... )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Atom LT's are superb. I've got the gilet/vest, the jacket & the hoody. I only wear the gilet when skiing as the warmth around my torso is sufficient when combined with a merino base, a mid weight layer (old version Arc' Delta) and an Arc' Rush shell. Plus the gilet is more compact if going in my pack. I got the gilet when they first came out first (must be at least 10/12 years ago) and was so pleased with it that I added the jacket and hoody over the next couple of years when they came on sale. I wear them all the time in the UK (dog walking/hiking/pub etc) and choose which one by how much warmth I want etc. Only light shower proof so if there's a risk of rain I also take a waterproof shell. And they wash really well. I'd not choose the hoody for skiing as the hood is a pain. If I had to choose only one for skiing and UK use then the jacket is the most versatile.

under a new name wrote:
in 21 years of having high end shells with hoods I I don't think I have ever used one while skiing... (that's probs 1,000 ski days ... )

I use my shell hood all the time when on the lift to shut out the drafts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Someone selling one on Facebook if it's any use ? Outdoor kit exchange page.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have both the Atom LT and SL hoodies but don’t use them as an insulating/mid layer for skiing any more. I find they don’t breathe so well under my shell and I get moisture buildup on the inside and outside of the jacket. I find a good quality fleece keeps me just as warm but better at moisture and heat management.

Arcteryx knows this and have made a more breathable version called the Proton. You may want to look at these if you’re primarily interested in a mid layer.

Proton = more breathable
Atom = more wind resistance
Nuclei = windproof

Otherwise, both are fantastic jackets, I use them both all year round. The LT is the more versatile of the two, I use it in winter down to -10c and in summer up to +20c and it’s amazing at heat and moisture management when NOT under a shell.

The SL is more of an insulating wind resistant shell and with very light insulation only on the body and back. I use it in winter for XC skiing, winter running and for chilly mornings and nights the rest of the year. It’s not warm at minus temps and the fit it slimmer than the LT.

When the time comes to replace them, I will buy another Atom LT but not the SL.

Jacket = full length zip, no hood
Hoody = full length zip, with hood
Anorak = half length zip, with hood
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have some Atom LT and SL and like them a lot - a bit like Patagucci Nano Air . These are “active insulating mid layers” and really comfortable in a wide range of conditions and exertion .

This is the best website comparator I have found for geeking out about this stuff:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/clothing-mens/insulated-jacket/arcteryx-atom-lt-hoody
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, I got loads of Arc stuff and my favourite for general kicking around is the Proton LT. I like a hood if rains and the exterior zip chest pocket is great and much more usable than the interior pocket on the atom range which sits too low imo. My favourite bit of gear is the Atom SL gillet and will wear that under the Proton and deals with any temps. Key difference is the side panels on the Atom make them only good as a mid layer. If windy they dont work as a standalone outer layer.

For skiing I use Atom SL as mid layer and a delta fleece. For standing around teaching indoors or super cold temps Atom AR without side panels. Almost too warm if skiing hard.

I have em with and without hoods and key difference is the hooded version when zipped up comes up much higher on the chin which I like to stay warm when blowy. Indoors I use non hooded version Atom AR and super warm.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
under a new name wrote:
in 21 years of having high end shells with hoods I I don't think I have ever used one while skiing... (that's probs 1,000 ski days ... )

Snap, and for those that don't wear hoods what do you do when it rains ? Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:
... Snap, and for those that don't wear hoods what do you do when it rains ? Wink
Skiing in the rain?
Not something I've done much of since my dry slope days. There, rain reduces crowding and improves the surface characteristics.
I'm sure you could wear a hood if you wanted to but as above I never have.

Powder is rather different, especially deep untracked stuff. Most people would avoid it in the rain for obvious reasons.

And of course when it's raining there's inevitably a layer where the rain causes ice on helicopter blades,
which makes a noise you don't want to hear but which is usually followed rapidly by a trip to the bar.
wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheers for the replies, my current cold weather setup would be 2 x long sleeve thinnish merino wool and an [url=https://www.ortovox.com/uk-en/shop/men/p53838-pullover-fleece-loden-hoody-m[/url]Ortovox merino fleece. I think as I've got older I feel the cold more and that wasn't enough (even adding a 4th layer) 2 x New Years ago when it was 'only' about -12.

I assume the Atom would be warmer than the Ortovox???
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@philwig, I never ski in a hood whatever the conditions, helmet and buff works for me. That said I have underlayers with hoods, usually don’t notice them.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Snap, and for those that don't wear hoods what do you do when it rains ? Wink

And to each their own, but I don't think high end shells need hoods. I would prefer mine detached (or stored).

On the Atoms, I find, @Spoon's comment, "I have both the Atom LT and SL hoodies but don’t use them as an insulating/mid layer for skiing any more. I find they don’t breathe so well under my shell and I get moisture buildup on the inside and outside of the jacket. I find a good quality fleece keeps me just as warm but better at moisture and heat management. "

I find quite the reverse. My "original" Atoms (which I don't think (?) had the usual Arc qualifier like "LT") (I have two as they are so excellent) are way, way better than either Patagucci R2s or Mountain Hardwear Monkeymans (thicker hi-pill fleece) at temperature and humidity management. And have a massively wider useful ambient temperature range.

But this is surely a very personal thing.
snow conditions
Aye, I reckon if I have to pay for the hoods I don't use, hood people could at least also
pay for a zip so I can take the damned thing off and throw it away. I've not ridden with Arc
people recently, but I must forget the snow and bitch about this next time.

I like the Atom better than the R2 and also the RAB equivalents, but as ya say it's personal taste.
My Atom is, I think, not pretty, which may be why I use it only for snowboarding, but it's damned good for that.
latest report
@philwig, yeah, I rarely take an Atom as the only layer above t-shirt. One complaint, I find the inner fabric on the sleeves a bit sticky on my sweaty skin. they may well have changed that since 2012 ... (the fact I have two running since 2012 is, in itself, a testament... Happy )
ski holidays
@philwig,
you must get to ride better bits of BC wink
The hood on my arcteryx sidewinder gets quite a lot of use. Good for those chairlift rides when it's wild, and even better when standing around at the bottom of Whistler waiting for it to open.

I do also have an atom, which I am very happy with. That one I could live without the hood, as mostly it sticks out and gets wet, but sometimes it is nice to have when wandering around later in the day/night.
ski holidays
I have the previous version of the Atom LT jacket (with Coreloft instead of Coreloft Compact).

I use it mainly as a midlayer for skiing (or hiking) and it is great for this purpose. In terms of warmth, it is my go-to midlayer for most of the days (between 0 and -10 C). If it gets colder, I add a fleece or use another thicker synthetic jacket. For warmer days, I replace it by a fleece and maybe in the last run down to the valley (+5 C or more) I even store the fleece on some friend’s backpack and ski down only with shell+merino.

What I can say about the jacket is:
- It’s a jacket. I use the shell hood when windy or snowing and I think that a midlayer with a hood would be impractical. However, for travelling, walking the dog, hiking... I would get the hoody version.
- Not super important, but I like that it’s wind resistant. When I unzip the shell to get something from the inner pockets, the Atom cuts the wind. For this same reason, its inner pocket is very impractical.
- The fleece lateral panels. This is what I like the most. When I am heating up, I just ski down with the pitzips from the shell open and the wind goes through the fleece panels creating a cooling effect. This is great for skiing, not so much for walking around with your dog in a windy day. The Proton is supposed to be more breathable and less wind resistant all around, but I haven’t tried it.
- The face fabric pills a lot, at least in my experience. But that’s also happening with another fleece I have, so maybe it’s the way I use them or because of the backer of my shell jacket.
- As with any synthetic except for fleece, the loft disappears with time (+100 days of skiing in my case). However, the new insulation material is supposed to last longer.
- The hand pockets are lined with fleece (I think) and feel nice and warm.

I hope this helps!
snow report
cheers all, the LT Jacket is currently in the Arcxteryx Outlet....

https://outlet.arcteryx.com/gb/en/c/mens/insulated-jackets
snow conditions
I would defo go with the Proton LT for casual wear over the Atom
snow conditions
I have a couple of proton LT jackets which I wear all the time in normal life and as a midlayer on cold days under a shell when skiing.

Super light , breathable , warm enough on most UK days and some water resistance.

I got one of them on Sport Pursuit for £ 125
snow conditions
Top tip here for Atom owners

http://youtube.com/v/tJRWxszFgFg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy