Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One ski, three scenarios - does it exist?

Poster: A snowHead
Idle spring/summer thinking, and I know there has been endless debate which I have enjoyed about one ski quivers, but lets imagine you had to chose one ski that you had to live with for the rest of your skiing life. It needs to do 3 things.

1. Ski on piste well enough to carve short and long turns
2. Be able to tour so not super heavy and without tail rocker for skin attachment
3. But also be able to ski manky snow without getting knocked around

What ski would you go for and why?

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Stöckli Stormrider 88s. Properly good on-piste (stiff, flat tail), and they cut through all the gunk & junk you find elsewhere. They're not the lightest though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a pair of Head Rev 90 from a few years ago which I'd go for if forced to have a one ski quiver. Piste performance would be the most compromised of those three scenarios, but if each of your three points was of equal importance (and I spent roughly equal amounts of time in each category) that's what I'd sacrifice.

Bloody glad I don't have to choose just one.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blackcrows Navis Freebird.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Possibly Scott Slight 93.

- Flexible Turn Radius
- No Tail Rocker
- Fairly light
- Decent Piste performance
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
no such thing as a perfect one ski quiver...
having said that : touring gear, especially boots, have improved massively over last decade. more flexible that ever.

a 90-100mm ski mounted with something like with shifts / kingpin would cover most of your bases (piste, shorter tours, manky snow).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

102mm underfoot from a quick google - not going to be great on piste is it, sure useable but ?????
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have rather enjoyed my Black Diamond Route 95s this season. and @zzz reckons his Volkl Rise Aboves are the best skis he's ever had, all round.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
K2 Mindbender 99s. Titanal strip makes them very stiff and a joy to carve. Heavy for shorts and edge-to-edge as well, at least heavier than a piste ski. Can be toured OK too, just become fitter!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, Mrs U been on 100mm Mantras since 2011 ... on, off piste whatever.

Admittedly, bringing rando into equation tricky as need decent Alpine proof binding already adding weight.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
telford_mike wrote:
Try Stöckli Stormrider 88s. Properly good on-piste (stiff, flat tail), and they cut through all the gunk & junk you find elsewhere. They're not the lightest though.

I agree with this 100%. Best option out there IMO paired with a shift would eat up the piste and chop and be manageable for a short skin.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
Idle spring/summer thinking, and I know there has been endless debate which I have enjoyed about one ski quivers, but lets imagine you had to chose one ski that you had to live with for the rest of your skiing life. It needs to do 3 things.

2. Be able to tour so not super heavy and without tail rocker for skin attachment

Cheers,

Greg

Been using Atomic Blackeye Ti's for that sort of stuff (83mm waist), planning to replace them with Salomon MTN Explore 95's (95mm waisted touring skis at the heavy end of the touring ski spectrum).
You can still put skins on skis with a slight tail rocker no problem, fixings for more aggressive rockers are available too. (meaning twin tips as opposed to Iron Maiden or Megadeath)

Why? - because the skis do the three things you mentioned well. As an all rounder (incl. touring) I prefer a light all-mountain ski or a sturdy (heavier) touring ski.
Tested the salomons a couple of seasons back and would have bought them by now if it wasn't for COVID.

Other skis you might consider
https://www.proskilab.com/h/men-s-freeride-touring/ski-reviews-2020-volkl-mantra-vwerks/637

https://www.skiessentials.com/2021-ski-test/skis/2021-black-crows-orb/

Short turn performance on the Stöcklis doesn't look that great
https://www.proskilab.com/h/men-s-all-mountain-front/ski-reviews-2020-stockli-stormrider-88/649

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 26-05-21 21:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, volkl revolt 104, they carve nicely, go through slush and powder like greased lighting, and although I've never toured, they're a superb park ski.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski touring in the park on 100mm+ 4kg/pair twin tips, could be the next big craze. What would they call it - Ski Pipe-neering or Pipe-country Skiing? wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Who says you can't attach skins to a rockerered tail? File a notch if nothing else surely?

But the question is more about skill than anything else surely. A Marcus Caston type could carve just fine on a ski that met the latter 2 specs surely?

http://youtube.com/v/UR0O1o9NC68
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Who says you can't attach skins to a rockerered tail? File a notch if nothing else surely?

Why do that when there are skin fixings you can buy for that sort of thing? It's a sure way to invalidate the ski warranty and cause the ski to delaminate.

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
But the question is more about skill than anything else surely. A Marcus Caston type could carve just fine on a ski that met the latter 2 specs surely?

Ever watched a ski demo by professional skiers where they go back in time skiing down the same slope on older and older equipment? At the start they look awesome - by the end they look like two week beginners. Corn, shallow powder & piste that's the easy stuff - try skiing refrozen slush, death cookies, deep wind blown powder, breakable crust etc after you have lugged them up the mountain for a few hours.

The skis that blast through everything (e.g. Stöckli's) tend to be more work with short turns and dive in the powder. The light wide touring skis are great for the up and powder but get thrown all over the place in variable conditions. It's tricky - do you buy a ski for the bad conditions to help you get through them, a ski for the conditions you like the most (powder) or a ski for the conditions you are most likely to ski? A lot depends on the skier - e.g. an agressive skier might prefer the Stöcklis as they would ski a faster more direct line. The Stöckli's could be way too much ski for a lighter weight less aggressive skier. What is "heavy"? For a heavyweight but super fit ski tourer 2 kg per ski may be acceptable but if you are lighter and less fit plus have boots and bindings on the heavy side then 1.5 kg per ski may be your limit.
snow report
kitenski wrote:

Cheers,

Greg

Kaestle FX 96 HP
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Kaestle FX 96 HP

https://www.proskilab.com/h/men-s-all-mountain-back/ski-reviews-2020-kastle-fx96-hp/646
latest report
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Kaestle FX 96 HP

https://www.proskilab.com/h/men-s-all-mountain-back/ski-reviews-2020-kastle-fx96-hp/646

Interesting review. IME it’s very stable at the speeds I ski at and corners on rails. And I went short (180cm vs the 188). Would love to see the skier that overpowered it Shocked

This is closer to my experience:
https://www.skiessentials.com/2020-ski-test/skis/2020-kastle-fx-96-hp/
ski holidays
On the topic of Kästle, the new ZX range is worth a look. The sponsored junior freeride guys were on them at the end of last season and they are cheap for Kästle skis!
https://www.powder7.com/ski-blog/kastle-skis-preview/
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
kitenski wrote:

What ski would you go for and why?i

Cheers,

Greg

Kaestle FX 96 HP

100%

I have the FX95hp and they are brilliant.

Heres a few vids of me on them a few years ago

http://youtube.com/v/a58astMy-vw

http://youtube.com/v/tmfzKxJvy5A

http://youtube.com/v/hUBxJb91VYc
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
kitenski wrote:

What ski would you go for and why?i

Cheers,

Greg

Kaestle FX 96 HP

100%

I have the FX95hp and they are brilliant.

Heres a few vids of me on them a few years ago

http://youtube.com/v/a58astMy-vw

http://youtube.com/v/tmfzKxJvy5A

http://youtube.com/v/hUBxJb91VYc

Haha nice! And here is the powder vid for the other end of the spectrum

http://youtube.com/v/4yXdDcl4vQ4
ski holidays
Sweetest!
ski holidays
Knowing that OP's requirement is for his missus and also knowing her stats and the fact that the OP is a 'frugal Yorkshireman' then the perfect solution is the Scott Slight 83 Women's or Scott Slight 93 Women's - with the factory skins and mounted with Shift 10's.
ski holidays
I have two pairs of cut down skins (no tail clips etc) on my rockered skis that I've probably used 50+ sorties and no issues, so it's not a big deal unless you're doing multi transitions in Uber cold temps, even then I got away with it.
latest report
Dynastar legend 96 might be a choice, or the Kastles.. I picked legend 88's for touring skis and regret not putting shifts on the 96's. the 88's are way heavier..
snow conditions
I do all 3 of those things on one set of skis and have done for a number of years. Piste carve, any radius, off piste mank or powder and piste slush is particularly good on these. Occasional skinning on them. They are Atomic Automatic 102, with a Warden bindings. I believe the Automatic 102 was replaced by Backland 102 and these will do the same things. Only time I ever feel a limitation in their ability is early morning piste boiler plate.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Knowing that OP's requirement is for his missus and also knowing her stats and the fact that the OP is a 'frugal Yorkshireman' then the perfect solution is the Scott Slight 83 Women's or Scott Slight 93 Women's - with the factory skins and mounted with Shift 10's.

Great suggestions, suspect the 83's will be the better choice for an allrounder. Also suspect that most of the skis suggested in this thread would be way too much ski for her (at no fault of the posters).
The skis do not only have to match the conditions but also the rider. More info about the rider (weight, height, sex, favourite colours wink , skiing style etc) would most likely come up with better suggestions.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 27-05-21 13:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alright if it’s for a woman even easier Kaestle FX 96 (W). Bought these for my missus and she loves ‘em. And 40% Yorkshire discount!
https://www.sport-conrad.com/produkte/kaestle/fx-96.html?utm_source=google_pla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIptHX8-jp8AIV9RSLCh1bKQvhEAQYBSABEgLoj_D_BwE
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Kaestle FX 96 HP

Interesting review. IME it’s very stable at the speeds I ski at and corners on rails. And I went short (180cm vs the 188). Would love to see the skier that overpowered it Shocked

This is closer to my experience:
https://www.skiessentials.com/2020-ski-test/skis/2020-kastle-fx-96-hp/

Maybe the tune was off on the test skis or they tested them on boiler plate.
snow report
DB wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Great suggestions, suspect the 83's will be the better choice for an allrounder. Also suspect that most of the skis suggested in this thread would be way too much ski for her (at no fault of the posters).
The skis do not only have to match the conditions but also the rider. More info about the rider (weight, height, sex, favourite colours wink , skiing style etc) would most likely come up with better suggestions.

When I mentioned the Scott Slights above - I went with the 93, as being better for taking Off Piste, as I thought the 83 was a little narrow. It means sacrificing a little edge to edge speed, for extra float. I have Scott The Ski, which are around that width - and Short Turns are quite possible, just harder work.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

102mm underfoot from a quick google - not going to be great on piste is it, sure useable but ?????

They wouldn't be my goto ski for an exam but for me they give enough piste performance to keep me amused. That said, my next pair will be either the Yellow (Orb) or Red versions, although that's more about the off piste.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

So was ideally wondering about new skis for me, but the Shifts and Atomic Hawk boots have made the R.98s good enough for now, so ski would be for my better half. Her piste skis are 160 (k2 superburnin 121/72/106) , she is 63kg & 172cm tall

She didn't like my stiffer Storm Inferno slalom skis she tried years ago, I think she definitely prefers the softer ladies skis...
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
So was ideally wondering about new skis for me, but the Shifts and Atomic Hawk boots have made the R.98s good enough for now.......

kitenski, why would you want a one ski quiver when you're current two ski quiver of Volkl Code's and the R.98, both with QK inserts to share the Shifts, will give you a far wider performance envelope with no carriage issues?
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:

I still use my much-beloved Scott Lunas (85mm, with Radical 2.0s) in the quoted instances - but they are no longer available (and no one is getting anywhere near either of my two pairs!!!), and the Slight is an excellent ski. Very enjoyable.

Nowadays (erm, over a year ago Sad ) I use my Superguides (95mm) a bit more, but have toured on the smaller Luna's, and would still prefer them for short turns and manky snow. So yeah, Slight as Jon suggested would get my vote.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
kitenski wrote:
So was ideally wondering about new skis for me, but the Shifts and Atomic Hawk boots have made the R.98s good enough for now.......

kitenski, why would you want a one ski quiver when you're current two ski quiver of Volkl Code's and the R.98, both with QK inserts to share the Shifts, will give you a far wider performance envelope with no carriage issues?

Weight weenie thinking Razz
ski holidays
@kitenski,
You could try going to a ski-touring test event (e.g. Testival at Kaprun, Austria normaly takes place in Nov).
That way you can both try out various touring skis and bindings to find what you prefer.
snow conditions
Head Kore 93 for me. I have them in 180 as my "piste" skis (ie when for days when I only spend part of my time offpiste) but of everything I've skied they cover the three points in the OP the best - great combination of lightness and stability, very good carving capacity, can power through pretty much everything.

(My real do-everything ski is the Whitedot R.108 CL...it's nowhere as good on piste as the Head Kore but better for the remainder of the conditions. I wonder if the Head Kore 103 could give it a run for the money)
snow report
@kitenski

If you are seriously thinking about weight it's best to look at combined boot, binding and ski weight per foot.

My heavier setup =
Boots 1150g
Binding 630g
Ski 1750g
Total = 3530g per foot
(lighter setup is around 150g per foot lighter)

My next pair of touring boots will probably be around 350g heavier but I hope to offset the weight increase with lighter bindings and skis.

Hard to define what is "heavy", off the top of my head I'd say -

Super light= Less than 3000g/foot
Typical tourer on new kit = 3300g+/foot (1500g boot, 350g binding, 1450g ski)
Freeride tourer = approx 4000g+/foot

Your boots with a shift binding would be around 2500g per foot alone (1600g boot, 900g binding).
Some of the skis mentioned in this thread are over 2000g per ski which would put you at 4500g+/foot.
1 kg on your feet is said to be equivalent to 7kg on your back i.e. the difference between you and a dedicated new touring setup would equate to you having almost 17kg more on your back. ((4.5-3.3) x 2 feet x 7). If your fitness level is the same you can guess how it's going to go.

IMHO for longer tours - best to save the 550g by using a dedicated touring binding (e.g. Alpinist) rather than the shifts and go for a heavier ski but shifts are better for the descents/piste skiing. For a one ski set solution maybe skis with quiver killers for both shifts and a dedicated touring binding for longer tours is the way to go.
A lot depends on how fit you are (in relation to thers in the touring group), what weight kit the others in the group have, how far the tours are and what your mix of piste/offpiste/touring is.
snow report
DB wrote:

Your boots with a shift binding would be around 2500g per foot alone (1600g boot, 900g binding).

Yes I've been looking into all this, interesting though with a boot that takes a pin you are not lifting the binding vs a frame binding so although the Shift isn't the lightest binding the weight you lift per step is actually much improved over my previous frame bindings. My R.98s are 3.98kg! I've saved just about 2kg in new boots Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy