Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cablecar crashed in Piemonte

Poster: A snowHead
Some of the lifts in Italy....I'm thinking of the Lagazuoi-Falzarago cable car.....give me pause. They look old and decrepit. But I ride 'em. Getting on an airplane later today. You never know.

Jeez, they were right at the top, too. Hoping for justice and safety improvement to come from this.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm surprised that this (what looks like a CCTV video angle) has been allowed to be released before the investigations have been completed.

As the normal braking/gearing mechanism that would control the approach would have been engaged, is it conceivable that there was a mechanical fault in this that caused the sudden stop?

If you look carefully at the drive cable on the approach, it does appear to be bouncing quite a lot. Can't say I've ever noticed anything like that while waiting for a car to approach the station.

The sudden swinging forward of the car just before the rapid decent suggests that the cable stopped suddenly, which may have caused it to break.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The operator appeared to be watching the wire quite closely.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The "sudden stop" was the drive cable breaking and the carriage accelerating back down the support cable with resultant pendulum swing of the cabin.

Though it's natural to say "what a shame they were nearly at the top" the reality is if they'd got there we'd probably have now been discussing how the next group of passengers had only just got on when it broke.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@brianatab, I think the bouncing is caused by the strands of the cable breaking one by one. In one aspect the cable looks frayed to me, and as mentioned, the operator seems aware that something bad is happening...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
adithorp wrote:

Though it's natural to say "what a shame they were nearly at the top" the reality is if they'd got there we'd probably have now been discussing how the next group of passengers had only just got on when it broke.

Sure - it was just a reflection of the hand of fate. Possibly because I react to seeing the guy by the window preparing to disembark then suddenly......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brianatab wrote:
I'm surprised that this (what looks like a CCTV video angle) has been allowed to be released before the investigations have been completed.

Apparently leaked https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57510661
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good grief. That’s horrific. Bloke on station platform was lucky not to be hit by the cable. Those poor people.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was at Mottarone on Saturday. Here is the view from under the cables

not much to see now. The site has been cleared and the vegetation is regrowing in the summer heat and humidity.

Some Italian cable car operators report a 90% drop in passengers. All Italian cable cars are being rechecked at the moment causing closures.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
All Italian cable cars are being rechecked at the moment causing closures.

Well at least it's reassuring that they are being rechecked.

A quick search gives this link to a description of Italian Health & Safety legislation. It states that 'The National Labour Inspectorate (Ispettorato Nazionale del Lavoro) has overall responsibility for monitoring compliance with health and safety law'. So one would hope that they are actively involved in the rechecking of the cable cars.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The sole survivor of the horrific accident, six year old Eitan Biran, has unfortunately been the subject of a custody battle. His family had lived in Italy for several years before the crash and after his release from hospital he was staying with his paternal aunt in Italy, who had been granted custody in June.

However on Saturday he was taken out by his maternal grandfather who had moved to Italy after the crash and had visitation rights. He then took Eitan out of the country on a private jet to Israel. Eitan's maternal aunt filed for adoption in August, claiming that the boy was being held hostage in Italy.

All very sad. Sad Rather than squabbling amongst themselves wouldn't it be better if they could all agree to ask Eitan himself which relative he would like to stay with.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's awful- dusrupting the life again of a little kid who has already had the worst thing happen to him. Sounds like rich folk doing what they want.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do wonder if there is a financial motive https://gift.enthuse.com/cf/eitan
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@motyl, um, no - that wouldn't even begin to touch the cost of the private jet used to relocate him. The grandparents obviously have money, as well as an attitude problem. The legal wrangles will last for some time, unfortunately.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Probably as much to do with religion as anything else.

Unlikely Israeli Courts will award custody outside the Country now that he is there, even if he has lived all his life somewhere else that has many cultural differences.
ski holidays
One year already.

There was a commemoration today by the local authorities including the rescue workers. Financing has been secured to reopen the cable car, hopefully with better management.

The sole survivor, 6 year old Eitan Moshe Biran has returned to Italy after the Israeli supreme court rejected appeals from his maternal grandparents to keep him in Israel. They had kidnapped him from Italy where he lived with the family of his father.
snow report
Think the decision by the Israeli court deserves noting given the prejudice (assumption that it wouldn't return him) shown above. Hope he can start moving on.
snow report
Csb123 wrote:
Think the decision by the Israeli court deserves noting given the prejudice (assumption that it wouldn't return him) shown above.

@Csb123, good point (and keen observation).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy