Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Austria worth the extra money?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

remember reading somewhere about a restraurant in an Austrian ski resort that had a slide you used to slide down to the basement toilets

It's the Hospiz Alm in St. Christoph
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g608676-d919481-i54576896-Arlberg_Hospiz_Alm-St_Anton_am_Arlberg_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@geoffers, yes good fun, best toilet access in the alps..... as opposed to the food service in HA, worst place to eat imv, overpriced food and staff with attitude.

Funny story in there though, my ski pal slipped in his ski boots walking across the restaurant, wet timber floor, and tried the red/ white tablecloth removing trick as he fell, big party having drinks and food weren’t impressed as all their food and drinks went flying! Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Hospitz Alm is possibly worth a visit, they do a brilliant BBQ Pork ribs, but you pays your money for it. I've never slid down to the loos, but a peek into the Wine Cellar is well worth the descent of the stairs in ski boots. Also plenty of photos of the great and the good that have frequented the Hospitz Alm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think there are several that have a slide down to the toilets. I seem to recall one near the Hohe Salve. Possibly on the Hopfgarten side
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29 wrote:
@geoffers, yes good fun, best toilet access in the alps..... as opposed to the food service in HA, worst place to eat imv, overpriced food and staff with attitude.

Funny story in there though, my ski pal slipped in his ski boots walking across the restaurant, wet timber floor, and tried the red/ white tablecloth removing trick as he fell, big party having drinks and food weren’t impressed as all their food and drinks went flying! Laughing

Food (and service) in the evening on the other hand is spot on, one of the best meals I've had in the Arlberg.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy wrote:

the thing I found strange is the number of gents toilets in austria that have a proper hair dryer

Is that in case Rudi Voeller turns up??

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ive been travelling to Austria on and off since 1987 and have never seen a hairdryer in a gents WC.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Please go to Austria..... I will found less brits on french slopes...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Please go to Austria..... I will found less brits on french slopes......

The Gallic equivalent of Gemütlichkeit? snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Please go to Austria..... I will found less brits on french slopes......

The Gallic equivalent of Gemütlichkeit? snowHead

Nope the equivalent is: Apéritif !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I would have thought that apéritif is the equivalent of “ein Paar Jagatees”.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

This is where I can see you are not french !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Is it so obvious, me old mucker? Next you’ll be saying that my mother was a hamster and my father smelt of elderberries!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Is it so obvious, me old mucker? Next you’ll be saying that my mother was a hamster and my father smelt of elderberries!

I am just saying to need to know what's Apéritif means on a french way of it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@thierryd, ne t’inquiète pas, j'adore les apéritifs, et je n'ai pas besoin de skier en France pour en profiter.
snow report
Gemütlichkeit = Douceur (though is really an untranslatable concept much like Danish "Hygge" or La France profonde) . An apéritif is a drink, Aperitif would be used in German though in my part of Germany & Austria more likely to be an orange coloured aperitivo (in the sort of bars popular with folks around here a Fliegender Hirsch or a Willi would be more common!)
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
Gemütlichkeit = Douceur (though is really an untranslatable concept much like Danish "Hygge" or La France profonde) . An apéritif is a drink, Aperitif would be used in German though in my part of Germany & Austria more likely to be an orange coloured aperitivo (in the sort of bars popular with folks around here a Fliegender Hirsch or a Willi would be more common!)

Nope Apéritif is not a drink it's an "Art de vivre", the drinks are just the visible part of the iceberg..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Isn't it something like this? Toofy Grin

latest report
Quote:

An apéritif is a drink

@munich_irish, Thanks for explaining that wink

Quote:

a Fliegender Hirsch or a Willi would be more common!)

Or a Flügerl, Jägerbomb, or Jägermeister...or all three? One of the après-ski mountain huts hereabouts serves an interesting “apéritif” called a “Bauerntequila”, consisting of a shot of tequila with a piece of ham rolled around fresh horse radish and skewered with a cocktail stick. Enough to awaken many an unsuspecting soul’s taste buds!
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, snowHead
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, seen the ham and horseradish on a shot at the schirmbar at the bottom of Hochwurzen as well, can't recall its name though.
ski holidays
Quote:

@tatmanstours, seen the ham and horseradish on a shot at the schirmbar at the bottom of Hochwurzen as well, can't recall its name though.

@HutToHut, my suggestion: “the Exploding Skull”; Mrs TT’s suggestion: “the Big Bang”.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, I am afraid I have got too old (& wise!) for anything Jägermeister related though still have a soft spot for most types of schnapps though its best to avoid the stuff brewed up by the local farmers!
latest report
@munich_irish, we have a very nice bottle of homemade Zirbenschnapps, but Mrs TT is especially keen on supermarket Hazelnussschnapps, of which we seem to have gone through several litres during our self-isolation.
snow report
geoffers wrote:
Quote:

remember reading somewhere about a restraurant in an Austrian ski resort that had a slide you used to slide down to the basement toilets

It's the Hospiz Alm in St. Christoph
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g608676-d919481-i54576896-Arlberg_Hospiz_Alm-St_Anton_am_Arlberg_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html

There one of those in Seefeld in the Kracherlemoos by the kids ski school. My kids used to love it in there.
snow report
johnE wrote:

I have to say I've never noticed that one, but I think their toilettes may be more fun. I remember reading somewhere about a restraurant in an Austrian ski resort that had a slide you used to slide down to the basement toilets. Does any one recall where that was?

St Christoph, part of the Arlberg
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@tatmanstours, I am afraid I have got too old (& wise!) for anything Jägermeister related though still have a soft spot for most types of schnapps though its best to avoid the stuff brewed up by the local farmers!

Best to avoid too much of the local schnapps....some of the stuff in our little alpine village is legendary....we even made our own walnuss schnapps last year Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thierryd wrote:
Please go to Austria..... I will found less brits on french slopes...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
That made me snort my coffee,
snow conditions
Quote:

That made me snort my coffee,

Speaking as a grammar pedant, I can empathise!
snow conditions
Cacciatore wrote:
munich_irish wrote:

Best to avoid too much of the local schnapps....some of the stuff in our little alpine village is legendary....we even made our own walnuss schnapps last year Toofy Grin

They make it with turnips round here, Krautinger it's called. Some of the locals swear that if you drink a shot everyday you will never be ill!
ski holidays
Chris_n wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
munich_irish wrote:

They make it with turnips round here, Krautinger it's called. Some of the locals swear that if you drink a shot everyday you will never be ill!

Turnips Shocked .....interesting!

A friend of mine is a retired oncologist and he swears by regular (daily) consumption of krauter-based alcohol/schnapps. Apart from some very old ski racing related injuries, he seems to be living testament to this approach.

When we moved here, our new neighbours introduced themselves with a bottle of Zirben schnapps, or “medezin”. I asked if it would even help with a broken arm, for example....they looked at me as if I was mad. Mad for even considering that it wouldn’t Laughing Laughing
latest report
@Cacciatore,
Well Zirben does taste very "medicinal" Smile
snow conditions
This conversation has prompted me to go and attack a bottle of the stuff (homemade) that has been sitting on our dresser for a few months. Prost!
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
This conversation has prompted me to go and attack a bottle of the stuff (homemade) that has been sitting on our dresser for a few months. Prost!

Zum Wohl!
snow report
thierryd wrote:

Probably worth paying a bit more for Austrian Gemutlichkeit to avoid that kind of froideur! Shocked Laughing

Or go to Italy where it's better value than both and everyone's welcome to enjoy la dolce vita!! Cool
ski holidays
[quote="Mr.Egg"]
tatmanstours wrote:
@denfinella,
Quote:

which puts Austria at 50% more expensive than France.

A lot more Austrian Resorts are linked up (through tarmac transport!), so sell a wider area ski pass, this can seem like a waste of money if people have no intention of skiing the full ski area & prefer to stick to just the one mountain.... plus some of the ski passes can be quite confusing!

this is what i hate with Austria....especially for a family...
I dont understand that...why i have to pay a 6 Day Skipass for SkiAmade when i want to ski only in Filzmoos?
Furthermore many areas are not connected with each other...from Schladming to Bad Gastein you need maybe 60min driving...why i have to pay a ski pass including Gastein Valley?
I dont understand why they dont give the opportunity to choose what you want....
Maybe for Zillertal is a little bit better...but SkiAmade Skipass Prices are for us simply NO GO reason....

some resorts gives the choice...some other not..from 2 and more days pass, you have to pay for the whole area...and for ski resorts which are 40min auto away driving or more and you probably will not visit...
snow conditions
Well, not having been to Kitz since last winter, things may have changed. But you most certainly could just buy a pass to ski the Kitzbuhel ski area alone without ever having to go on tarmac.
snow conditions
@jafa, ditto the Ski Alpin card, covering the Ski Circus and Zell am See, except for the 15 minute ski bus between Zell am See and Kaprun.
snow report
yeap...Kitz has its own ski pass...i am talking for ski amade not for the SSSC

but e.g. why i have to by a Card for Saalbach - Kaprun - Zell am See when i will stay and will skiing only at Z.a.See??
although for this area is relativ ok. Saalbach is almost connected with Zell am See. Or as i mentioned for Zillertal is also ok...
But for Ski Amade i think is ridiculus....or for Ost Tirol....

Some areas e.g. in Paznaun (Ischgl - Galtür - See - Kappl) have their own card but allso a card for all...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy