Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Gervais or La Clusaz in December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@EdYarker, I wasn't lucky. I made my luck. We engineered our lives so we could live in Geneva, then Chamonix, and work (mostly) when we liked. Although I am nowhere near as good nor successful at this than @BobinCH, who truly seems to have nailed it!

... Twisted Evil

that shot's from my season length (?) mission to persuade Mrs U that she loved a bit of rando Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EdYarker, as you say it is good to discuss the options.

You prompted me to look at what the non-hire options were for transport at that time - I could still find the bus timetables from 2019-20 on my computer. BlaBlaBus ran 4-5 services depending on day before 20 Dec (after which it was winter timetable with 6 services each day); because they allow quite a lot of time for the change the total transfer time is around 2 hours to St G. Alpybus/MegevExpress (same thing) run 6-12 services a day direct during the ski season taking about an hour. That hour is the same as it would take you to self-drive except that you obviously have to spend time picking up your hire car. If you drive there is plenty of free parking.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK @under a new name, I will give you credit for moving to Chamonix in order to be on the spot on the one day it has ever snowed in Les Houches in December Very Happy .
Good info about the transfers to St Gervais @j b, I did think that Alpybus or someone like them, would be the way to go, but I guess there is some debate about whether they will be running that early. My first enquiries showed yes and came out slightly more expensive than car hire (although I'm not too sure how much to factor in for fuel).
I can tell some people maybe a little exasperated but my reluctance to hire a car. I will do it if it really looks like the only way I can make a decent trip of it but would much rather use a shuttle or train, rather than find the rental place in Geneva (sometimes a way from arrivals), negotiate the roads, find parking and then petrol on the way home, not to mention the kerfuffle if it pelts it down with snow (yes I know- unlikely in mid December). So like with everything else it goes into the mix as to what would make for the most enjoyable trip and maybe the slight extra stress of hiring a car will pay off by enabling much easier access to decent snow, but it can be another decision which can be made nearer the time.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@EdYarker, those were the shared transfers, running at around 30 euros per person per trip.The BlaBlaBus (which includes the local service buses) work out slightly less. Alpybus will also do individual transfers at taxi prices. There are also trains, but they only go to Le Fayet and stop everywhere so no real advantage.

I am the same as you, hiring a car is last resort. However when we have done it (because we had just bought a small place and needed to shop for bulky items) it wasn't actually that bad. The motorway runs next to Geneva Airport, and St G is less than 5 miles from the exit. But obviously you have to do the paperwork bits, and get to the place they keep the cars. It is only your timing that gives you a bigger benefit than usual of being flexible about where to ski.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@j b, I have hired cars before and it's not a big issue, but would rather not, for the reasons you say. Good that St G is near to the motorway and it all sounds quite straight forward if we do have to go for it. I wouldn't go for individual transfers as they coast more than accommodation and flights combined, but the regular shared shuttle options are probably best. I've used Cham/Morz Express a couple of times before and am fine with them. The Bla bla bus would also be OK, but might involve a change from what I've read, so would likely take longer, but is cheaper. Plenty of options, which is partly why I was looking at St G. La Clusaz also seemed to have a good shuttle service, but no one has spoken up for them here (due to likely poor conditions so it would seem), so it has moved down our list!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy