Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone tried skiing on 1980's 'Proper' skis recently

Poster: A snowHead
With modern carvers, everyone looks pretty good on the piste but, back in the day, you needed real technique to look good on those 2m long thin planks.

Has anyone tried them recently? Could they still do it? Did they have to go back to the 1980's slightly bouncy camp French ski technique to gain the necessary unweighting to get the things to turn?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes skied on my 1990 Volki P10's (210cm) this year - great fun - yes you can ski but its different!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My first planks were Fischer RC4's 203cm GS skis (lime green, pink and orange)......awesomely fast in a straight line, like Bambi in the moguls. No desire to go back there!!
rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, My 18th birthday present was a set of 2m Kastle Speed Machines with Marker M51 Titanium bindings.

The exact reason I'm learing to ski the bumps age 37.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have, here's a short article I wrote about my experiences

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/generation-gap/

I've never been a fan of huge long skis, back in the 1980s I skied on relatively soft 180cm skis that worked fine off piste. Indeed I still see people on those skis today (Dynastar Yetis) out in the mountains.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I tried out my Dynastar Course GS 203cm beauties two or three seasons ago; extremely fast and stable in the schuss and brilliant on long, sweeping turns. But truly hopeless in the bumps and, like their owner, terrible in soft snow! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I probably ski 80's, 90's style snowHead

Still have my Volkl P9 RS super in 210cm and will ski them again, most of my others are not fit for use including the Salomon 3s pr7 and the Kastle Speedmachines ( though I always wanted a pair of Puremachines ).

Would love to see how many people would be able to carve on old style skis Toofy Grin

Maybe this could be a Snowheads event/meet each year Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe we need to organise a retro trip. We all ski in 80's neon using older skis. I remember my first pair of 210 Dynstars on the unpisted bumps in Andorra in 1988....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had a pair of 195cm K2, and a [air of Hexcel 532 way back in my youth. Great skis, but not as much fun as the modern stuff.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My (2009) 201cm SGs are a tad wider than my (1996?) 201cm Rossi 7SKs but appear to have a remarkably similar sidecut.

Very skiable they are too, in bumps and powder.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cameronphillips2000, I have one pair left from the mid 1990's, they are Rossignol Defi 7, very yellow they are in 188cm, and very straight

I tried them for a couple of hours last season, and after a few, why will they not turn moments i soon adapted.

It was bl**dy hard work and they did not seem very stable when you went quick, did grip well if you did carve them, but the odd sensation was they did not want to stop the slow turn and go into the next with out a huge unweight and then really drive the knees forward in a rather exaggerated fashion.

My daughter thought they were hilarious!!

They are now back in the cave with some storage wax on for the next historic moment................

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 19-02-15 2:14; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Old 'straight' skis are surprisingly stable and solid on hardpack.
You do need a different technique - need to finish your turns properly ?
Cant just roll them on edge, park your hips, and expect them to turn.
They are not so great in variable snow or powder either...

Despite the comments the lack of sidecut makes them ideal for bumps (and also steeps)
A competition mogul ski is not far off an old style straight ski ?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 18-02-15 18:04; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
speed098 wrote:

Still have my Volkl P9 RS super in 210cm and will ski them again, most of my others are not fit for use including the Salomon 3s pr7 and the Kastle Speedmachines ( though I always wanted a pair of Puremachines ).

I still have two pairs of race stock Puremachines.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Depends how recent "recently" is.
Rental shop in Lech, in the early 2000's (can't be sure of exact year) refused to let me rent a set of modern parabolic carving skis, since they deemed my skill level not good enough for newer technology. So they gave me a set of 195 Elan something-or-other. Perfect for honing that Austrian farmer interlocked boots stance.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Haggis_Trap,
Quote:

competition mogul ski is not far off an old style straight ski

I believe that bumps skis are remarkably similar to modern (FIS, not piste carver) GS skis. I find my GSs easier in bumps than my SLs (which just want to grip too hard ).
ski holidays
Am I still allowed to rest them on my boots in the telecabin queue to make them look longer?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
My (2009) 201cm SGs are a tad wider than my (1996?) 201cm Rossi 7SKs but appear to have a remarkably similar sidecut.

Very skiable they are too, in bumps and powder.

Other than being wider I guess my 193 Ehp's aren't that far off either? 41m radius.

Also ski bumps and pow nicely Laughing
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/Xo7R3fUqvIo
ski holidays
I have a pair of Salomon F9s in my garage 190cm. I last used them when we were snowed in a couple of years ago to "ski" around the estate. Made a few people laugh on my estate Laughing
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
speed098 wrote:

Sounds like a meet at CFe after Easter might be in order, I could bring the RS Supers as well wink

Get a few more Snowheads bringing retro skis and maybe a few drinks afterwards could be a good evening snowHead
snow report
@stanton, What about Gelande jumping wink
ski holidays
Actually I've not skied since those thin old planks were around - maybe that's why I switched to snowboards.

Um, I think you'll find that most skiers still look pretty ropey, irrespective of the tools. Actually there are a lot of people around who still have 1980s skiing style problems (forcing the feet together just before they turn, for example).

I have a 1.95m monoski which flies, but that did not have the characteristics of skis of the time: it's wide enough, has enough flex, a decent sidecut and taper.
latest report
speed098 wrote:
rjs wrote:
speed098 wrote:

Sounds like a meet at CFe after Easter might be in order, I could bring the RS Supers as well wink

Get a few more Snowheads bringing retro skis and maybe a few drinks afterwards could be a good evening snowHead

Perhaps I shouldn't have chucked my 2m P10 RS Volkls in the skip after all! They were still in great condition after several seasons but I couldn't see myself skiing them again after demoing shaped skis in '98.
ski holidays
2m Dynastar Equipe National SL's are still up in the attic - maybe I should dig them out next time we go to MK - great for fast blues and reds, not so good in bumps though, mind you neither am I
ski holidays
I took a few lessons in Austria back around 2005. The instructor was wearing some barely shaped Elans. He viewed my new shiny Atomic Izors and said ' Ah! Carving skis' in much they way a ukipper says 'Ah! Wind Turbines' Luddites, the lot of you but I would pay to be at the fridge when you bunch of loons let loose.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/Xo7R3fUqvIo

This is the best video in the world ever.
snow report
Still sometimes take my perfectly maintained '94 204 Unlimited VO's out for fun. Phenomenal cruisers they are in all conditions, still haul - can put down anything and the Mickey graphics always command response.
ski holidays
I don't think fridge slopes are long enough...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nothing beats a pair of 80s ski with 'Turbo' written on in neon green.
snow conditions
@cameronphillips2000, a good point, well made. wink
snow report
davidof wrote:
I have, here's a short article I wrote about my experiences

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/generation-gap/

I've never been a fan of huge long skis, back in the 1980s I skied on relatively soft 180cm skis that worked fine off piste. Indeed I still see people on those skis today (Dynastar Yetis) out in the mountains.

Ahhh my first pair of bought skis, 190cm Dynastar Yetis.

Skied from Pakistan to Aberdare on them. Not in one go mind Smile
ski holidays
Dynastar Omesoft, 1984? They looked nice. Which meant they were good. wink
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Nothing beats a pair of 80s ski with 'Turbo' written on in neon green.

How about some with the word "QUATTRO"

Did pee off that German car company quite a bit back then wink
ski holidays
I had Fischer SC4, 190 length circa 1986 vintage. Sigh, I loved those skis.
snow conditions
I'd love to try it, but don't have any old "straight" skis anymore. My longest were some white-and-red Fischer RC4s, at 205 cm. Though usually I skied on shorter skis, some 198 Volkls.

I'm pretty sure I'd be fine on pistes but I expect offpiste would be really tricky.
snow report
Progression in Regression - 2013 Bridger Bowl Point and Chute - 1st Place from Bridger Brigade
https://vimeo.com/63015232
ski holidays
With modern carvers, everyone looks pretty good on the piste

where do you ski?
snow report
waynos wrote:
With modern carvers, everyone looks pretty good on the piste

where do you ski?

You clearly never skied in the 80's in Andorra. Most Brits were sunburnt, drunk on the wine which was, by some way, cheaper than the bottled water and doing the '80mph snowplough'

People look very good in comparison today.
snow conditions
Im far to young to even remember those things, half expect to see them show up on the Antiques Road Show soon ...... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
,Most Brits were sunburnt, drunk on the wine which was, by some way, cheaper than the bottled water and etc"

What's changed?

Most people still don't look good - on poste or off...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy