Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Considering Epic or Ikon before prices go up? Here's what you need to know.

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/IGmaPIl2oek

Link to original article: https://www.peakrankings.com/content/epic-or-ikon-2021-22

With the deadline for Ikon’s lowest pass prices fast approaching, you may be debating whether to pick up this multi-resort pass for next season. You might be wondering how valuable the pass will be next season, especially compared to the Epic Pass suite, which recently received a 20% across-the-board price cut. In this piece, we’ll aim to shed light on the differences between these two passes.

Resort Offerings
Both Ikon and Epic offer a substantial portfolio of resorts, and we haven’t covered them all (we hope to pen a comprehensive guide on each pass by the quality of the individual mountains they offer at a later date). Both passes contain access to multiple resorts across major U.S. destination regions such as Colorado, Lake Tahoe, Utah, and Vermont. Both passes offer options in Canada as well, although for Epic, all but Whistler (which—full disclosure—is currently our highest-rated resort) are on the full pass only.

Some resorts, such as Jackson Hole and Aspen/Snowmass for Ikon and Telluride for Epic, are not included on the cheapest pass products. However, these high-end resorts offer some of the best overall experiences in North America. Jackson Hole ties for 2nd in our rankings, while Telluride ties for 6th. We haven’t completed our reviews of the four Aspen/Snowmass resorts yet, but based on initial impressions, we estimate Snowmass will end up as one of our highest rated mountains. Those hoping to visit Telluride will have to splurge for the full Epic Pass, while those looking to visit Jackson Hole or Aspen can purchase an $150 Ikon Base Pass Plus add-on.

A major Epic advantage is unlimited access to a significantly higher number of resorts. Epic offers unlimited access to all mountains owned by Vail Resorts, with a grand total of 36 (33 in North America). Ikon’s unlimited access resorts, mostly owned by Alterra, only come out to 15 (13 for the base pass).

Unlike Ikon, the Epic Pass covers several local, regional mountains in addition to destination resorts. Ikon Passes offer five-to-seven days at Windham and unlimited access to Snowshoe, which those in the NYC and DC areas may find valuable; however, those looking for unlimited access resorts in most major metropolitan areas will find Epic a better value. Those looking to visit only local mountains next season may benefit from looking at Vail’s cheaper regional pass options before committing to a true Epic product.

Ikon does hold an advantage over Epic in a few regions. Places such as Oregon, the Northern Rockies, and Southern California contain Ikon-affiliated resorts but few or no Epic ones.

With the exception of Sun Valley and Snowbasin on the Epic Local Pass, both passes offer at least 5 days of non-holiday access at each resort. Those only interested in two or fewer days at any given resort next season may want to check out the cheaper Mountain Collective, which offers two-day access to a heavily-Ikon-overlapping suite of destination resorts, or the Indy Pass, which offers two-day access to a variety of local hills.

Pricing
Thanks to a 20% price cut across the board compared to last season, Epic holds a price advantage at first glance. However, this picture isn’t quite as straightforward for certain age groups.

Both Ikon and Epic offer two season pass tiers, with the higher-tier for each featuring no blackout dates and access to a few extra resorts. For those over the age of 23, prices for Epic are substantially cheaper. A full adult Epic Pass is currently $783, while a full adult Ikon Pass is $999. The lower-tier Epic Local Pass is $583, while the Ikon Base Pass is currently $729.

However, teens and young adults may actually find better value in the Ikon Pass. Both Ikon tiers offer young adult discounts ($739 for the full pass, $559 for the base) for 13-to-22-year-olds. Only Epic’s Local Pass offers a discounted $471 teen rate—the full pass doesn’t offer one—and it only covers ages 13 to 18. Consequently, 19-to-22-year-olds will save $24 to $44 on an Ikon purchase over Epic. Those aged 13-18 will save $44 on a full pass purchase with Ikon, but save $88 on a base pass purchase with Epic.

Ikon’s 5-to-12-year-old child discounts ($319 for the full pass, $279 for the base are very similar to Epic’s ($399 full, $303 Local). However, an adult Ikon Pass can be paired with a child pass to save up to $200 total ($100 each) on both passes.

For those age 4 and under, Epic has the upper hand thanks to free passes for these youngsters. For ages 0-4, Ikon charges $149 for the full pass and $99 for the base. For families with children of different ages, the value-adds from these differing price policies could effectively cancel each other out.

Both Epic and Ikon offer discounts for college students, though once again, Epic’s special college deal only applies to the Local Pass. At $527, Epic’s Local College Pass slightly undercuts the Ikon Base Pass’s $549 college rate. However, the full Ikon Pass’s $719 college rate comes out below the full Epic Pass, which has no college equivalent, by $64.

Epic offers substantially better military deals than Ikon. Ikon’s military discounts are the same as the college discount, but Epic offers special Military Pass products that range from just $135 for active and retired military personnel and dependents to $447 for veterans and their dependents. These passes offer unlimited access to Vail-owned resorts but do not include partner mountains. As a result, military members or veterans can save several hundreds of dollars with an Epic product over Ikon. However, Ikon offers their same discounted rate for nurses, whereas Epic does not.

For those who can’t afford to pay in full now, both passes offer a payment plan. However, Ikon’s payment plan now runs through Affirm, and going this route requires a soft credit check. In addition, a 0% APR on the payment plan is not guaranteed. Epic’s payment plan is much more straightforward, at $49 down, and is not credit-dependent.

Renewal Discounts
Ikon has announced renewal discounts for last season’s passholders. Epic has foregone any renewal discount in favor of their 20% price cut.

Renewing 23+ adults are eligible for $100 (~10%) off the full Ikon Pass product and $80 (~11%) off the Ikon Base Pass product. While these prices still don’t match Epic’s, they go a long way to closing the gap.

COVID-19 Insurance Policy
While it’s unlikely that resorts will close due to COVID-19 next season, both Epic and Ikon have retained their COVID insurance policies for the 2021-22 season. In the event of eligible closures, Epic will refund your money while Ikon will credit the value to the purchase of a pass for the 2021-22 season. Both passes provide two different compensation options for COVID-19 resort closures, one of which covers all resorts and the other covers a specific resort of your choosing.

For both passes, the “specific resorts” option provides a refund based on the number of days the chosen resort is forced to close due to COVID-19 during the season. For Epic, the resort you choose must be closed for 7 or more consecutive days for the pass coverage to kick in. Ikon’s coverage kicks in after one day. Epic also allows passholders to choose insurance that covers a “specific week” rather than the entire season, but the coverage still doesn’t take effect unless your resort closes for 3 or more days during the specified time period.

Epic’s “all resorts” option requires all of Vail’s Colorado, Utah, Lake Tahoe, and British Columbia resorts to be closed for 7 or more consecutive days for passholders to be eligible for a refund. On the other hand, Ikon just provides a proportional credit based on the average percentage of days closed among all North American non-heli destinations during the peak season.

If you buy an Ikon Pass product this season and decide you don’t want to use it for any reason, you can push the value to a 2022-23 pass product. The deadline to request a deferral is December 9, 2021. Epic has no proactive deferment or refund policies.

Verdict
For the 2021-22 season, Epic offers a better upfront value for 23+ adults and military members, a wider local-mountain selection, and a more accessible payment plan than Ikon. However, Ikon still offers a very compelling roster of resorts, decent renewal discounts, and a strong deferral policy.

For those set on Ikon, we recommend making the purchase now if you can afford to. While these pass products can cost a hefty sum, there’s no harm in utilizing one of Ikon’s 0% APR payment plan options if you can (a soft credit check doesn’t affect your score). Additionally, you can always defer to 2022-23 if you change your mind.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reality is from Europe or travel to ski in N America you buy the pass corresponding to the resorts you are wanting to ski. Similarly if you are a local in the US or Canada.

There are some no brainers - if you want a holiday split SLC- JH - Big Sky clearly it has to be Ikon.

Equally for a spread across BC - Epic is the call.

Europe perks clearly tilt to Epic, don't know why Ikon haven't got their act together here yet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crikey. why make life so complicated?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:

It’s the American perspective. Not the Euro view.

Not very useful.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

It's not really complicated. As said above for most people it's a no brainer decision based on where you plan to go. Works out cheaper, and gives way more options, than the majority of season passes in Europe.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Complicated?

1. Buy pass online; it arrives.
2. Go directly to the lift at one of the areas served by the pass and go skiing.

Yeah, you still have to decide where to go, just like before. If the plethora of options these passes provide is a problem, ignore them.

In the old days, we decided where we wanted to ski and got the most advantageous ticket we could. From my perspective, that M.O. remains unchanged.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Complicated?

1. Buy pass online; it arrives.
2. Go directly to the lift at one of the areas served by the pass and go skiing.

Yeah, you still have to decide where to go, just like before. If the plethora of options these passes provide is a problem, ignore them.

In the old days, we decided where we wanted to ski and got the most advantageous ticket we could. From my perspective, that M.O. remains unchanged.

Yeah 1 & 2 not true for international purchasers. No biggie but not great for the terminally anxious that Ikon won't mail outside US (& maybe Canada?).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's not that simple. (that's why it's "complicated" for some) Laughing

For most people who don't live near a ski resort, they typically have more than just ONE mountain they want to go ski in. So which one (or two) this season? Well, which mountain is on what pass...?

You get the drift...

"In the old days", people go ski in one single mountain. Magapasses changed that. Now people go skiing in more than one mountains. That's what gets complicated.

Sure, you can stick to the old way of just skiing in one mountain. Or you can "take advantage" of the multi-mountain passes and ski in more than one. Is that getting too complicated? If it is for some, they should stick with the old way. For others who can work out the "complexity", they get to enjoy more for the same cost. Each to their own. Me? I just toss a coin. snowHead

This makes me remember something "don't sweat the little things". Don't remember where it's coming from though...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The only really complicated bit is deciding where you want to go before the pass deadlines or price hikes or if you remain unaware then are caught out by paying "full retail" for your trip. Added dimension for Euros this year is whether US/Canada ski market will open up. Last year it was a fair bet it wouldn't. This year on balance looks like it will but all that could go to hell with another wave or variant either here or there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Added dimension for Euros this year is whether US/Canada ski market will open up. Last year it was a fair bet it wouldn't. This year on balance looks like it will but all that could go to hell with another wave or variant either here or there.

May of last year, I think most people were expecting the whole pandemic business would have been over by the time ski season starts. For at the time, we were at the tail end of the first wave and case numbers were dropping as fast as the temperature was rising. Flight bans were being lifted left and right... It looked then just as promising that we would have a quite normal winter travel season.

Now we're at a different situation. But I'm not so sure it's any clearer how the coming winter will be like. With the majority of the world still unvaccinated, and outbreaks still happening all around the globe, I wouldn't be so quick to say the odds are that much better than last May.

If you don't like the long and uncertain wait on getting a refund from Vail, I would stay clear of the Epic pass. Except of course, those who still have a sizable credit they have to use or lose it.

(The way I see it, the 20% discount is really Vail's attempt to hold on to the disgruntled customers who are sick and tired of their hour long hold on the phone just to talk to some poor representatives who were either clueless on what's going on in their corporation, or powerless to resolve the customers' issues)

Much of the opening article, and for that matter so much of the question & answers regarding next season, are based on past experience of the "normal" years. Personally, I think this coming season will not be anywhere resembling a "normal season". It could either be dead as a doorknob due to new development of the virus, or it could be a raucous celebration of the end of it. Either way, it won't look half way like any of the previous normal year!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can you use Local Epic on a normal weekend? Is it only New Year, Christmas etc that count as a 'holiday' ?

Apologies for the UK/US terminology confusion on my part... wink

The 20% discount is very appealing - but not sure I will dare chance it due to covid... Confused
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So my planned trip to Canada in early 2022 is: Sun Peaks 2 days - Revelstoke 1 day - Big White 2 days and Whistler 2 days. I am assuming that I am best to buy these as separate tickets nearer the time as the resorts are neither exclusively Epic or Ikon?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Can you use Local Epic on a normal weekend? Is it only New Year, Christmas etc that count as a 'holiday' ?

Yes, for normal weekend. The black out dates for the local pass vary by resort. Some have no restricted days, others more. You can see the exact dates for each place here https://www.epicpass.com/passes/epic-local-pass.aspx

Quote:

So my planned trip to Canada in early 2022 is: Sun Peaks 2 days - Revelstoke 1 day - Big White 2 days and Whistler 2 days

Wow that's a lot of driving. I'm not really a big fan of the 1-2 days at each resort approach, as places like Whistler you are not even going to scratch the surface in that time. You will spend the 1st day at most resorts trying to workout the lay of the land and probably not getting the best quality skiing. If you just want to tick off some places it's ok I guess. With 7 days skiing you probably wouldn't even save money with the pass over the daily tickets anyway (probably average out around £60-70 per day = £420-490 vs £460 for epic pass.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I assume the reason you do so much driving is your trip is more than just skiing, you want to see the country of Canada, the scenery and small town etc.?

From a pure skiing aspect, I would agree with @boarder2020. For pure skiing, I'd recommend either concentrate on Whistler alone, or leave Whistler out completely so you could spend more time in the other mountains.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snowsartre, I like your itinerary. Maybe as a Western US resident I have a different view of what "a lot of driving" is, but the 3 interior areas you cite are all in about a three hour triangle so the driving will just keep your bar bill down Very Happy . Whistler is the outlier but it is a beautiful drive so since you're game why not check it out? You are correct about lift tickets, that's four different ownership groups there, so just do the best you can and pretend the fuel savings compensate! BTW if you do want to moderate the driving just a bit I'd suggest you delete BW and replace it with Silver Star. BW is fine but SS is closer by an hour to the others and my group prefers it though I concede this is just personal preference; they're all good. This way you are really getting a full taste of what BC has to offer, and next trip you can focus on what you liked the best. I do suggest you study the trail maps before your trip. Having a clue in advance is helpful anywhere, anytime, but particularly in fog, and you are heading for some areas where fog is no stranger to the menu.
snow conditions
@boarder2020, @abc, @Scooter in Seattle,

I am actually in BC for just over two weeks as I have to work too on some of the days interspersed. I have skied Whistler quite a few times and that coincides with work in Vancouver. Driving is relative, I can spend hours on M25 so more than happy to take on the scenery etc.

I don't agree at all that SS is better than BW (staying in Kelowna so distance not really a factor) but guess it's about personal preference and I just love the trees at BW and have lucked out with better snow there than SS previously. More skiing to be had there too. To be fair though, there is not a duffer in the list. Just hope Trudeau sorts his poo-poo out and we are allowed in in January....
ski holidays
3 hours might be acceptable, but is driving highway 1 in the evening after a full day of skiing really enjoyable? Combine that with all the packing and unpacking. Seems like a lot of hassle, especially when it's going to likely result in less quality skiing.

If you really want to tick off a few resorts in one go there are better options. A Banff (lake Louise and sunshine village), revelstoke, kicking horse trip would be much less driving (and imo they are superior to big white and sun peaks). You could also drive up icefields parkway from Banff to Jasper which is probably one of the most scenic drives in Canada, much superior than sea to ski imo.

It just seems like a strange itinerary. Perhaps if you have family/friends you are trying to see, or you've already done all the other bc resorts and want to tick off it might make sense. If you have complete flexibility it just seems like there are better options at least imo.
snow report
Sorry I just saw your reply after I posted that. If you are working around work in Vancouver I guess it makes more sense.
snow report
Quote:
Yes, for normal weekend. The black out dates for the local pass vary by resort. Some have no restricted days, others more. You can see the exact dates for each place here https://www.epicpass.com/passes/epic-local-pass.aspx
Thanks boarder2020
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy