Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First weekend of December

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

My wife has just woken me up to the news that shes just booked us flights to/from Geneva the first weekend in December (Thursday 2nd - Sunday 5th December) for my birthday without the kids in tow,
but its up to me to decide which resort to go to Laughing Shes booked a car too (Swiss side) so we can drive to wherever.

I'm a relative newcomer to skiing and have only been to Chamonix a few times and Les Deux Alpes so I dont have a lot of resort knowlege other than through google but thought Id try to pick the brains
of the learned folk on here.

Where would you recommend to go at that time within range of Geneva for a weekend break that will be likely to have snow and lifts open please?

Im a beginner / trying to get to intermediate level and my wife is looking to try out skiing for the first time.

Many thanks Snowheads!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NewSkiingDad,

The 2nd to 5th of Dec is very early. You need to go to a very high resort (over 1800 metres above sea level) and also has access to a glacier. Most resorts may not have their lifts running that early in the season.

Although at least a 2.5 hour drive away I would head to Tignes which is over 2100 metres above sea level and has lots of easy skiing at resort height and the Grand Motte Glacier. Alternatively Val d'isere (1850m) should be OK, it is linked to Tignes.

Make sure the hire car has snow chains or snow tyres which I believe are mandatory in France.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Verbier, Saas Fee.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
welshflyer wrote:
@NewSkiingDad,

The 2nd to 5th of Dec is very early. You need to go to a very high resort (over 1800 metres above sea level) and also has access to a glacier. Most resorts may not have their lifts running that early in the season.

Although at least a 2.5 hour drive away I would head to Tignes which is over 2100 metres above sea level and has lots of easy skiing at resort height and the Grand Motte Glacier. Alternatively Val d'isere (1850m) should be OK, it is linked to Tignes.

Make sure the hire car has snow chains or snow tyres which I believe are mandatory in France.

Thanks @welshflyer - I had originally thought of a glacier - somewhere like Glacier 3000 but after checking the webcams and the weather forecast it looks abit bleak Laughing

Iv previously been put off Tignes as a few Snowheads mentioned that its not great for beginners?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Verbier, Saas Fee.

Thanks @Nadenoodlee, Iv just been looking at Verbier and saw on Facebook that they opened for the season yesterday so that could be a good shout.

We are going to Thyon for a couple of weeks on 17th December so scouting the area out a little cant hurt! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NewSkiingDad, Verbier only starts 7 day a week opening from Saturday 4th, we are doing the same as you flying out to Geneva on the Thursday and hiring a car, we are going to ski in Saas Fee which is open on the Friday, and then Verbier for the weekend.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saas Fee is car free therefore you can have a long hike through the town to get to the slopes.

Verbier is less suitable for beginners than Tignes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NewSkiingDad, Opened for the season" - I think one run ....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have got both Val Thorens and Zermatt booked for 4 – 8 December. Going to make a call on which one to visit around 27 November, so far looking pretty good for both.

Val Thorens is hosting the Cambridge/Oxford varsity ski trip for the same dates, so imagine they will be quite busy with the snowmaking...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Val Thorens is my first choice. Something for everyone but no tree skiing. Excellent local market on Tues and Thurs.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NewSkiingDad, Val Thorens or Tignes would be my choice. Currently snowing on the web cams in VT, you should have access to a decent sized area and not just be reliant on a glacier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NewSkiingDad, can I say your wife is a star Smile
Mine is a well as she has just informed me that my Christmas present is a four hour private lesson with my favourite ski instructor.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NewSkiingDad, What a great way to be woken up! Beats a cup of tea any day.

Given that your wife will be starting to ski on this trip, I presume she will be having lessons. Many resorts don't start group lessons that early - even if the resort is open and there's good snow, so best to check with ski schools also. However, private lessons should be easy to arrange and are a great way of accelerating progress.
I think Tignes and Val d'Isere have enough terrain for beginners.
Another choice would be Zermatt - easily accessible from Geneva by car and a much more picturesque option for a celebratory weekend. Plus it has beginner skiing at higher altitudes, so more reliable early season (although Tignes & VdI are a safe bet IMO)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd go for Tignes. There might not be a lot open, even there, unless the early snow is particularly good, but then you don't need a lot! What you do both need is good lessons and that will certainly be available (private lessons). You can get some good personal recommendations here. You would probably not have to go up the glacier in Tignes in early December, but it's good to know it's there, just in case.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Your Swiss side car will have winter tyres, and should also have chains. Tignes is very high (that's why you're going there.....) so if the forecast suggests there could be snow on the way, make sure the chains fit, and that you know how to fit them.
latest report
There will be plenty of piste open in VT at the village level and for the few 1-2 days a complete beginner probably won't even need a lift pass, as the magic carpets are free.

prosneige is a very good school and they have groups lessons for the week you need.

Make sure you bring layers, neck warmers and quality goggles. This time of year the weather can be brutal.
ski holidays
cav wrote:

Val Thorens is hosting the Cambridge/Oxford varsity ski trip for the same dates, so imagine they will be quite busy with the snowmaking...

Thats VT wipes off the possibles!
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
cav wrote:

Why?
snow report
Quote:

they have groups lessons for the week you need.

won't work for a weekend - a couple of private lessons is probably the best bet. If you do that as soon as possible, the instructors will know exactly what combination of snow conditions and slopes is right for you, and you can stick to that. Though if it's sunny, and not too windy, a trip up to the Grande Motte, to have a coffee and enjoy the view - maybe have lunch - is worth doing.
snow conditions
Zermatt?
snow report
Private lessons are significantly more expensive in Switzerland than in France, so bear that in mind in your decision!
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, would you like a weekend ski break with your better half and 5,000 pissed up lairy students?
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Handy Turnip, would you like a weekend ski break with your better half and 5,000 pissed up lairy students?

VT is large enough to accommodate 10,000 drunk boomers on top of that.
Stay away from Plain Sud after 16:00 and you will be fine.
snow report
@Handy Turnip,
Because they are c**nts.
snow report
@Kenzie, yes.
latest report
Normally, on the weekend nearest to the feast of St.Nicholas (Dec.6th), Verbier offers a free day ski pass to anyone turning up in a St.Nicholas outfit. I got mine for about £16 on the internet:

You can actually take it off once you've bought your pass but most people keep at least the chasuble on, and I found the beard quite insulating. TBH, if I was going to Verbier, I'd take the train from GVA, unless the car hire works out significantly cheaper.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, @thecramps, @Kenzie, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@NewSkiingDad, Does your flight on the Thursday arrive in sufficient time to allow a 3 hour transfer that day? That might impact on people’s recommendations
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
cav wrote:

We've been a few times during Varsity week and have not noticed the slopes to be particularly busy. It wouldn't put me off going, at all.
snow conditions
Kenzie wrote:
@Handy Turnip,
Because they are c**nts.

In our experience it's nowhere near as bad as folk are making out. We've had no problems at all during that week.
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@Handy Turnip,
Because they are c**nts.

In our experience it's nowhere near as bad as folk are making out. We've had no problems at all during that week.

Good to know.
But if you were in the same apartment block or nearby ....
snow conditions
Hmmm, Monterosa might be an option ...
snow report
@Bergmeister, Your tosser tolerance levels are clearly higher than many.
On a weekend sans enfants, go somewhere with a nice hotel & spa & ambience (cou*Switzerland*gh)
latest report
Worth looking at Cervinia too. We've done a lot of early season weekends around the alps and we've always found the snow there pretty good...although the wind sometimes shuts the place down, which isn't great. But given that you're not looking for lots of miles, if the snow's good then I'd head for Tignes or Val Thorens. Both ought to be fine by then (just don't end up in the same accommodation as the students...).
snow report
@NewSkiingDad, earlier in this thread someone says don't go to Tignes/Val d'Isere as there is not enough beginner terrain but I have to disagree with this. Val d'Isere in particular, providing that you happy to get the lift down at the end of the day, will probably have more beginner terrain open than anywhere else commutable from Geneva. The top of Solaise and Bellevarde both have lovely and extensive green slopes and Solaise even has proper nursery slopes at the top. The storm currently hitting the alps is snowing on these areas but raining on the nursery slopes at most other resorts. This could of course all change between now and then and stormy weather on the weekend question could close these areas while leaving other resorts more open but for me, this is the safest bet. I am contemplating going skiing for the first week of December with my slightly nervous OH, waiting a little longer before booking anything, but if we go it will be to Vd'I or Tignes due to the snow sure easy slopes
snow report
Where did you choose in the end @NewSkiingDad?
snow report
I'd not have chosen anything - I'd be waiting and seeing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy