Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Factor Glasgow and equipment hire.

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all.

Quick question for the knowledgeable on Glasgow's indoor slope.

My husband suffered a severe stroke, January 2020 in Belle Plagne, airlifted out, three french hospitals, followed by several weeks hospitalisation in France until stabilised enough to be air ambulanced back to Edinburgh. It was a horrendous time for us both, more so me as he was out of it for most of the time. Anyway, despite me being told on return to the UK that he would possibly be in a Care Home for the rest of this days (he was only 54 at the time), he has made a remarkable recovery but with left side weakness. He can walk but his left arm does not work.

We are both keen to get back to the slopes but before booking something we wanted to see how his ability was on the indoor slope. This leads me on to equipment hire at Snow Factor. Does any one know if they hire snow blades rather than conventional skis. I'm reckoning with his left side weakness, if he fell over, the shorter ski would be much easier to deal with than conventional lengths. Wanting to try equipment before buying.

The slope is still closed and no one to answer phones at the moment so though I would post here and see if any of their customers were in the know re their equipment hire selection.

Many thanks

Sheila
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow Sheila so sorry to hear about your husband but glad to hear he's making a good, if not complete, recovery. I'm pretty sure they don't have blades but maybe get a set of the smallest skis that will fit his boots?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always took my own skis but I never saw anyone using blades or any blades on the rental racks. If you buy a pair cheap enough second-hand on eBay then if they don't work out then you won't lose much. I'd also suggest getting a private lesson. Duncan Adamson is an excellent instructor who mostly seems to work in Spain these days but certainly used to give lessons in Braehead during the off-season. He's not employed by Braehead, you just contact him direct.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GixerGirl, As an adaptive instructor there are a few issues that I would need to figure out before being able to advise on whether snow blades are the way to go.
My first thought is that fore-aft balance has to be more accurate with blades. While they'd be easier to deal with when he falls, you may find he falls more often because of the blades.
I suggest you contact DSUK. They have adaptive instructors based at the Glasgow indoor slope.
They'll, hopefully, know when the slope will be opening. They'll also know what equipment is available.
Most importantly, they should also be able to do a movement assessment with your husband to help you decide on the best equipment as well as manage expectations.

If you need more info. regarding skiing post-stroke, please ask. I'm happy to help.
Good luck!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boabski wrote:
Wow Sheila so sorry to hear about your husband but glad to hear he's making a good, if not complete, recovery. I'm pretty sure they don't have blades but maybe get a set of the smallest skis that will fit his boots?


Hi, was thinking along those lines too, just need them to open so we can get on with it. Thank you for getting back to me. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Valkyrie wrote:
I always took my own skis but I never saw anyone using blades or any blades on the rental racks. If you buy a pair cheap enough second-hand on eBay then if they don't work out then you won't lose much. I'd also suggest getting a private lesson. Duncan Adamson is an excellent instructor who mostly seems to work in Spain these days but certainly used to give lessons in Braehead during the off-season. He's not employed by Braehead, you just contact him direct.


Hi and thanks for responding. Yeah, the two times we have been there we've just taken our own kit too. Never paid much attention to the rental racks. Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SaraJ wrote:
@GixerGirl, As an adaptive instructor there are a few issues that I would need to figure out before being able to advise on whether snow blades are the way to go.
My first thought is that fore-aft balance has to be more accurate with blades. While they'd be easier to deal with when he falls, you may find he falls more often because of the blades.
I suggest you contact DSUK. They have adaptive instructors based at the Glasgow indoor slope.
They'll, hopefully, know when the slope will be opening. They'll also know what equipment is available.
Most importantly, they should also be able to do a movement assessment with your husband to help you decide on the best equipment as well as manage expectations.

If you need more info. regarding skiing post-stroke, please ask. I'm happy to help.
Good luck!


Hi, thank you so much for getting back to me. I think that is a great idea and I was considering contacting them. We've always been the ones to just get on with stuff ourselves, with me teaching my husband 16 years ago. I think for this though it would be wise to be assessed by DSUK and take their advice. It's their business after all and they will be best placed to advise on equipment etc., that I don't even know is out there. It's been a tremendous blow to us. Fit, active outdoors people, both loving skiing, both motorcyclists, loving our Austrian and Dolomites Via Ferrata and walking holidays, such a blow to our lives but where there is life, there is hope and we have the determination. Thanks again. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GixerGirl, just to confirm the SF do not hire blades. Also note that they have moved to charging for kit (it used to be inclusive).
The small skis will in general have a maximum boot size and below 140 are likely to have (child) bindings with a low maximum DIN setting.

As others have said better to speak to DSUK who have an office within SF.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GixerGirl, I just happen to have a DSUK card on my desk.

I have PMd you a picture of their business card

Regarding the kit I would recommend using your own boots because the boots there are poor.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@GixerGirl, I'm not far from you (Livingston) and I've got a set of 151 Salomon Suspects that might be of use, they have demo plates on and are pretty stiff skis so would help with balance by not being too soft. They won't be used again so you're welcome to come and get them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski lots wrote:
@GixerGirl, just to confirm the SF do not hire blades. Also note that they have moved to charging for kit (it used to be inclusive).
The small skis will in general have a maximum boot size and below 140 are likely to have (child) bindings with a low maximum DIN setting.

As others have said better to speak to DSUK who have an office within SF.


Hi

Thanks for the information, yes I've now got a contact name and number of a DSUK person.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Sheila
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@GixerGirl, I just happen to have a DSUK card on my desk.

I have PMd you a picture of their business card

Regarding the kit I would recommend using your own boots because the boots there are poor.


Hi

Thanks for their business card, I've replied directly to your message but thanks again. I'll be giving him a shout.

Cheers

Sheila
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lordf wrote:
@GixerGirl, I'm not far from you (Livingston) and I've got a set of 151 Salomon Suspects that might be of use, they have demo plates on and are pretty stiff skis so would help with balance by not being too soft. They won't be used again so you're welcome to come and get them.


Hi

That's a very kind offer. I'm going to be in touch with with a DSUK Instructor, I'll see what they say meantime ... but may come back to you.

Thanks for taking the time to drop me a note though, much appreciated.

Cheers

Sheila
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to hear your hubby had a massive stroke. Even better that hashas madea farbetter recovery than expected.

Going off on a tangent slightly, I had a minor stroke end of 2018, and thankfully made a full recovery. The down side is/was holiday insurance for skiing was going to cost £300.00 for a week.
latest report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy