Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wide Ski Boots with Tech Inserts

Poster: A snowHead
I need to replace my existing Atomic Waymaker boots and need to be looking wide eg 102mm plus.

Looked at Dalbello Panterra but unsure if you buy tech insert soles.

I am happy to consider any ski boot which I use for mainly skiing with the option for touring.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wide feets here.
In a stretched (to the limit) pair of Technica Cochise.
Would probably go for the softer version if I was shopping again..
Great boots though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@roche1800, what's your mondo size?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@roche1800, to an extent, it’s not really the width of your feet that’s important... as you can always make things bigger. But if, eg, you also have slim ankles, you want the boot that fits your ankles, as you can’t easily make things smaller.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a hybrid boot take a look at the Fischer Ranger One 130 PBV Walk, it’s really wide but a bit heavy for pure touring
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From Dalbello you should be looking at one of the Lupo AX (wider) models - the Panterra is worse in walk mode (can't remove the tongue) and no tech fittings.

Also look at the Ascentionist from Full Tilt.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scott ski touring boots are all 103.5mm last. Obviously more of a dedicated touring boot but some of the stiffer options will ski well enough to use as an all round boot.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@roche1800, What size boots do you take? Boots get wider as the length increases, with most manufacturers quoting for 26.5 boots.

I’ve just gone from 28.5 Waymaker Tours to 28.5 Tecnica Zero-G Pro’s, with minimal adjustments.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, I am 25.5
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another thumbs up for Scott boots , bought their Cosmos 3 boots this year and they are brilliant . I have wide ish feet and was on Atomic Hawx. They ski fine ,are great for touring , light and the rockered sole great for walking ---and dancing (beer required for this tho') Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am still thinking that no matter the opinions and reviews, if they don't fit your feet, they don't fit.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
have you been to a boot fitter and asked them to give you suggestions for a touring boot that will fit your feet?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They very wide at 110mm!!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@roche1800, yeah but if you have girly swot ankles a wide boot will be a nightmare.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, resurrecting this thread as I'm just looking at the same problem.
I have just upgraded to Shift bindings and currently have a much modified pair of Garmont Endorphins size 29.5.
My feet are wideish but I have a couple of tailors bunions by my little toes and pump bumps on both ankles and prominent ankle bones.
As you describe ... other than the bumps the ankles are girly swot as tbh are the rest of my feet and my calves.
The Endorphins have been punched at the ankle and the little toe and I have some ankle grips and calf padding on the liners ... also got Zipfit which all helped ... in fact after a few days skiing the boots are perfect on the down. However blisters on the ankle pump bumps are a continuing problem when skinning.
But I now need tech inserts so am looking at a shortlist of Scarpa Maestrale and Scott Cosmos/Superguide ...
Appreciate your help ... on getting the balance between ankle hold and forefoot comfort.
snow conditions
@PBJ, Haha! It is not me you need to ask. You need to ask a bootfitter. I'll go out on a limb and suggest with feet like yours, you'll need mods anyway, so a real fitter is required.

Where do you normally ski? Or can you easily get to Solutions4Feet in Bicester (appointment prob needed).

Anyway, forget your shortlist. You take what you are given (within certain parameters, of course). A proper fitter will typically recommend the boot(s) that +/- require least work for your feet.

Note that some (e.g. Concept Pro defo, SOLE almost cert) are able to sell e.g. Tecnica Zero-Gs without liners (as the stock liner is super light but lasts about a season, if that) so you can go straight to your aftermarket liner of choice.

My particular problem is that I have generally small feet (I'm in a 24.5) and almost had to get W's boots to get the ankle snug enough. Making the rest of the boot bigger to accommodate anything else is easy.
snow conditions
Charliee wrote:
As a hybrid boot take a look at the Fischer Ranger One 130 PBV Walk, it’s really wide but a bit heavy for pure touring

I have a very wide feet and got those Fischer boots but the one without the tech inserts(it's the same shell). Mine is size 28.5 and we had to stretch the hell out of it... it is at least 5mm wider now, if not more.
Fits great after the stretch but I had to go back to the store 3 times until we got the right stretch, I don't see myself wearing another boot for the next 10 years, I love it!
snow conditions
Quote:

I don't see myself wearing another boot for the next 10 years, I love it!

That's where I am now with the Garmonts ... and that came after multiple remouldings !
Issues at the moment are limited number of shops with a good range and actually lack of stock in the right size ... in UK.
Ideally I'd wait until next season and book a week in Cham to get the selection, fit and rework sorted ... but I don't know where I'm going to be skiing next year ... so ideally I'd like to try some in UK first and maybe buy here and get basic fit sorted with rework as required in resort.
I have been to Bicester for some rework in the past and am off to Lockwoods in Leamington on Friday ... but they only have a couple of possible options in stock.
snow report
@PBJ, how wide/long are your feet?
ski holidays
@spyderjon, It's not so much the absolute width and length ... its more the bumps that give me the problems - it just takes multiple stretches to get them sorted.
Feet are 290mm long and about 112mm wide ... usually a 29.0 or 29.5 mondo.
The little toe bumps have probably steered me to a wider fit boot with higher volume that meant looser ankle fit and blisters ! It may be better to get a normal last boot with good ankle grip and just get the bumps properly stretched. The zipfit with extra gunk added around the ankles (freeride grand prix I think) helped but doubt that will work effectively in a modern touring shell ... although it was OK in the Garmonts.
snow conditions
Quote:

better to get a normal last boot with good ankle grip and just get the bumps properly stretched

IME, and from many chats with the folks in Concept and SOLE, very definitely, THIS.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

better to get a normal last boot with good ankle grip and just get the bumps properly stretched

IME, and from many chats with the folks in Concept and SOLE, very definitely, THIS.

+1.

Boot makers quote their last widths based on 26 mondo shell and the last width normally go up 2mm per mondo size. Most of the latest boots can be blown out considerably so it should be pretty straightforward for a good boot fitter to put you in the correct shaped/volume shell and then widen/punch as necessary. For example the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD is spec'd as a low to medium volume 98mm last boot but in a 29 mondo it's 106mm width and can easily be widened another 6mm. And the Hawx Prime XTD is a medium volume and 2mm wider so a 29 mondo will easily go to 114mm width. Other brands have similar offerings.

Trying on boots in a shop is going to be fairly pointless as your feet aren't going to fit in to a stock shell with the liner installed. All the fitter can do is do a shell fit to access the best make/model for length/heel hold/forefoot width/volume etc and the boot will then only fit once the work has been done. So it's really a trust thing with your fitter and you need to find someone who is experienced in doing considerable mods etc.
snow report
@spyderjon, exactly.

Concept only stocked the "low volume" versions of their boots this year, as you can always make them bigger.
ski holidays
As others have said, getting a wide boot to accommodate a tailor's bunion doesn't work. You need a boot that fits the whole foot and to then blow the area round the bunion. If you get the wide boot then you end up trying to deal with an imperfect fit by bucking the boot too tight and then irritating the bunion anyway.

I went through several iterations of decent boot fitting and blowing the boot out but eventually the bunion gets sufficiently irritated by normal footwear that it is harder to get it into a ski boot, no matter how many times you get the f'n thing blown.

This is going to sound insane but the only way I found to really deal with this was to get the bunion removed. Yes, I had my foot modified to better fit ski boots. It cost the best part of £4k and I could not walk for weeks but I can at least get my foot into both normal footwear and a slightly modified ski boot. I have to get the boot blown out round the screws in the foot but this is less of a problem than dealing with the bunion. Titanium doesn't grow.

Private was the only option for this as NHS podiatry doesn't really exist in SE London.
ski holidays
@gorilla, wow ... that is a radical approach to boot fitting.
Mine are not bad enough for me to consider that ... but they do blow up from time to time - usually from a pair of poorly fitting shoes. I have just got new wide cycling shoes which have helped with that sport.
@spyderjon, I agree exactly with your comments ... ideally I need to go to the right resort with the best shops and fitters so I have choice and expertise and the opportunity to spend a week skiing on them to get them right. I'm booked into Gressoney in March but may need an early season shopping trip to Cham Toofy Grin
Last pair were purchased in UK and worked on several times ... both home and abroad. The trust thing is key if fitting in UK - wouldn't it be great if boot manufacturers paid fitters to get the boot fitting sorted at any stockist worldwide.
snow conditions
@PBJ, yeah. I put up with it for a decade and then went the surgical route. It wasn't going to get any better and normal life was getting harder. Better skiing was a significant side benefit.
latest report
@PBJ, Gressoney, while very lovely for many things, is not a boot fitting solution Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@PBJ, even if the boot brands paid,(which is never going to happen) most places would find a way to wriggle out, every couple of years we get a boot return where there has been a warranty issue which could of and should of been dealt with by a dealer in a resort and they have refused saying that the client must bring the boot back to us, yet if they buy in europe we are expected to deal wioth it back here.... its the difference between boot fitters and boot sellers, the customer service element seems to be missing from the latter
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CEM, I understand ... it's wishful thinking and clearly open to abuse !
I just wish there was snow in Bicester ... then I could get real time tweaks done ! ... please can you open an outlet in the Alps ?
ski holidays
@PBJ, that's what the snow domes are for.
snow report
PBJ wrote:
@CEM, I understand ... it's wishful thinking and clearly open to abuse !
I just wish there was snow in Bicester ... then I could get real time tweaks done ! ... please can you open an outlet in the Alps ?

its hard enough to get good staff for one shop, let alone more snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy