Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

National Snow Show NEC Birm 23 24 Oct 2021

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Only negative was not booking the NEC parking in advance and coughing up a shocking £16 for the privilege on the day

How do you think they make their money when everyone gets in for free?

We paid the advance booking fee but when we came to leave they had just opened the barriers and there was no one there to check we had paid.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alastair Pink, I’m off work this week so I think I might! It’ll pay for a couple of pints if nothing else.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict,
Quote:

Really liked the arty lift-system prints and intend to order one of those

my daughters were handed the leaflet from that stall, though i was far from subtle about it, whilst coughing
"xmas, xmas" and pointing at the large 3valley map.

i believe they took the hint Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

am sure there was a 20% discount code that was valid until the end of october?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@terrygasson, I saw that stall advertised but didn’t make it to them. What were they called?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timmycb5, not sure TBH, will have to ask my daughters, as they have the leaflet. they are at their mums now.
I have sent them a message, hopefully they will get back to me soon.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Today was my shopping day - ended up spending a fair bit Embarassed Got the moonshine and gin (both xmas presents - though won a mini gin for myself Toofy Grin), cheese, olives, a brownie (I was liking the food mixed in!), and one of the hoodies with lift pass pocket etc mentioned above!

Also got a free goggle lens cover from Crystal, redbull, a few tote bags, another protein bar, various sweets, bumped into an awesome instructor I'd been meaning to message, did some testing with Warren Smith and team and got great fitness tips, and talked to loads of other really interesting and lovely people (incuding @CEM though I forgot to introduce myself as a snowhead, ooops Laughing )

With it being a bit less crowded today, I also saw a LOT more skis for sale from the big brands - and some really good offers.

I would happily have paid for a ticket this year, having now seen it all - and I'll definitely be going back next year. Friends also bought a fair bit, and had a great time.

Excellent effort by all concerned!

P.S. I was also told the toilets inside the venue were closed yesterday, and was annoyed at the queue for the ladies - a little niggle to sort out for next year. We ski too!

P.P.S. I was amused to see the Ski Club GB stand was empty (other than staff) every time I went past. Though it looked very bland - and they were right by the RAF nordic stall who were very fun.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 24-10-21 20:26; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Timmycb5, Bluebell & Moss, www.bluebellandmoss.com 20% discount with code SNOWSHOW20
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fixx, cheers for sending that to @Timmycb5, no doubt by the time my girls answer my message, the discount will not be valid Very Happy Very Happy

also, it means i can take a look at the website now!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@terrygasson, looking at the website is dangerous - you'll spend more money Laughing

They are very nice prints - we all admired them. Though Les Houches isn't detailed on the Chamonix one, so I just managed to refrain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
1. I assumed the exhibitors have to pay. 2. I have previously paid for expensive NEC parking even when buying full wack ski show tickets. 3. £8 or £9 pulled pork burgers etc must assist greatly with income levels. 4. The NEC website seems to suggest that the exorbitant parking charges apply for virtually all events - which must be a bit galling on top of your £150 ticket for Barry Manilow or whoever wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fixx, cheers for that. I’ll take a look.

The RAF stand was cool. I got 4/5 on the top section and 2/5 on the bottom. Cool

Which I thought was OK. How those guys do it after cross country skiing 10k is beyond me though!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went today in the late morning, it wasnt too busy. It was certainly smaller than the ones we'd been to in Battersea and didn't have the outdoor area plus slope which we quite liked when it was there. The big stands with big names in gear and resorts seemed to be missing (last time North Face had a huge stand and Skistar etc were there), except I guess for Crystal (but they are not our thing) so didnt have those big focal points. Missed the number of little quirky ski clothing stands that had been there too, but maybe a few of those have gone out of business since? A fair few non-snow exhibtors there too.

I did want to see the Elan Voyager folding ski at the Ellis Brigham stand and was suitably impressed, with thoughts of considering it if ever I need a new pair but then reminded myself of the price!

Didnt see/get too many freebies, but did get Dan Egan's book along with meeting the man and his signature on the flyleaf. Also got a few bits and pieces, beanies for the kids and some thermal layers. Met the very friendly Ops manager for Snowsport England.

Not sure I would go again as a destination with a 2 hour drive for something this size but at least it happened.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

P.S. I was also told the toilets inside the venue were closed yesterday, and was annoyed at the queue for the ladies - a little niggle to sort out for next year. We ski too!

My wife took one look at the wetherspoons toilet queue and walked down to the next ones towards the building entrance. There was no queue there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx wrote:
@Timmycb5, Bluebell & Moss, www.bluebellandmoss.com 20% discount with code SNOWSHOW20

Code should be valid until the end of the month too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The more I walked around, the more impressed I was by the variety of the stands and from what one exhibitor told me, their were some stands doing serious money on Saturday (with over 5000 people attending that day).

As a result, it appears as though they've already managed to pre-sell the entire existing floor space for next year, which bodes well for it returning and being even bigger and better next year.

If I can just find out where the mysterious free parking is... Puzzled
snow conditions
jebroni3_16 wrote:

Station car park was £9 in advance, prob a shorter walk than some NEC car parks. For free, take the train, there's (or certainly was) free parking at the next stop up the line, Marston Green
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
1. I assumed the exhibitors have to pay. 2. I have previously paid for expensive NEC parking even when buying full wack ski show tickets. 3. £8 or £9 pulled pork burgers etc must assist greatly with income levels. 4. The NEC website seems to suggest that the exorbitant parking charges apply for virtually all events - which must be a bit galling on top of your £150 ticket for Barry Manilow or whoever wink

The organisers don't make any money on parking or food and catering (other than outlets within the hall). They pay the NEC for hire of the hall. I was told the show made a loss this year, but they are in it for the long haul. Every exhibitor I spoke to felt it was good, several told me that they did as many sales on Saturday as they had budgeted for the whole weekend.
latest report
iainm wrote:
Every exhibitor I spoke to felt it was good, several told me that they did as many sales on Saturday as they had budgeted for the whole weekend.

If the above is anything to go by, that would be the toffee vodka people. wink

I was keeping an eye out for you on Sunday, but didn’t come across you to say hello.
snow conditions
jebroni3_16 wrote:

We came from the East and parked at Tile Hill for free all day. The train cost £2 return. It was also quicker than my usual experience of parking and bussing and walking when onsite at NEC.
snow report
Great day out. We met up with several Snowheads including Fixx, and Alistair Pink. We have just bought 2 large piste maps from Bluebell and Moss so next stop Ikea for frames Laughing I thought it was better than the recent London shows with some kit for sale and other things just to look at. We bought a holiday with Ski Olympic to Les Arc, upgraded a Ski Mojo. I hope it happens again next year and hopefully a few more stands.
snow conditions
I had s ticket but could not summon up the enthusiasm to go. Looks like I should have.
latest report
I did the six hour round trip yesterday and whilst it was not a huge area of the NEC it was still good, I also bought a bottle of toffee vodka which is very nice!

I hope it was successful enough to do it again next year and hopefully it can be a bigger event.
snow conditions
Quote:
Don't suppose anybody found any discount codes for Chill Factore?
Sorry, no sign...Snowdome had a stand at the show, as well as sponsorship banners plastered all over the ski slope - hence their discount vouchers.
snow report
Val Desire wrote:
jebroni3_16 wrote:

Station car park was £9 in advance, prob a shorter walk than some NEC car parks. For free, take the train, there's (or certainly was) free parking at the next stop up the line, Marston Green

As someone born and bred in Brum, who's lived here for 75% of his 44 years, and who prides himself on not paying for something he can get for free, you'd have thought I'd have been aware of this Embarassed

Thanks @Val Desire
snow conditions
I went on Sunday

Specifically to appear on The Ski Podcast presentation with @ianm and Simon Burgess.

Thoroughly enjoyed that experience and got to meet Ian and Simon in real life for the first time.

Good, appreciative audience which made it all worthwhile.

I watched a ski hero of mine, Dan Egan, tell tall tales and promote his book.

Tremendous. Bought a signed book for £24 and if it's half as good as his talk it will be a treat.

There was a great atmosphere and buzz around the hall, and it really felt like a consumer show. Not the corporate and press backslapping event that London became.

All the vendors and exhibitors had a real enthusiasm, desire, and more importantly the time to speak with interested customers like myself.

Got a few freebies; gorged on energy bars; entered a few competitions; saw some nice kit.

Picked up four magazines and spoke with the lovely people at Fall Line.

Got great info about destinations like Jasna in Slovakia and Dragobrat, Ukraine amongst others.

Tried a few nips of vodka and gin, and ended up buying a bottle of Off Piste Gin which is top notch.

Paid around £15 in petrol to get there; £12 parking; FREE entry

Feel I had more than value for money for my outlay and would happily pay for a ticket next year.

Hopefully the resorts will return next show, especially non-traditional countries and destinations.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, good to hear the first show was successful. Hope it carries that momentum forward and gets better next year.
snow conditions
Flew over from Jersey especially for this with my 16yr old son - basically to get us in the mood for 21/22 season. Lad had a great boot-fitting with Ski exchange and generally he rinsed my wallet for 4 hours before heading to the 'resorts world' shops to rinse me some more.

Thought is was a good set-up for what is effectively the inaugural show and seemed well supported. Good mix of exhibitors and along with a real mix of speakers gave a good mood-boost for 2021/22. Hope it gets bigger and better!

Had a closer look at Carve, Ski exercise machines, couple of new resort options I hadn't considered before, bought a few stocking fillers, just about resisted temptation to buy 2 new sets of skis (Fauna skis were v aesthetically pleasing - anyone know how they perform?)

I also bought toffee vodka and Gin Very Happy

Bankrupt, Enjoyed it, will go again.
snow report
I stopped in (very) briefly on Sunday pm as I was literally driving past. While there were plenty of people there and a lot listening to the main stage thing, a lot of the stalls looked like they'd given up by then with staff sad looking at phones. e.g. what was the point of the Andorra stand which had a large footprint but no content and a lady sitting at a desk? Sometime peole need to mooch or browse first rather than ploughing into questions. As I was driving I wasn't interested in any of the booze stands and I can buy artisan cheese anywhere. The actual stores looked pretty busy.

Most helpful was the MPI lady who explained that thy were hopefully of finalising things imminently this week for an insurance offer.

I'm glad people enjoyed it, probably a confirmation for me that I'm over this sort of thing.

Anyone get the SCGB spiel? That might have been interesting!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, having done a trade show, I can say from experience that you are absolutely on your knees in the last couple of hours of the last day. With the prospect of the scrum of packing down and the wait/queue/fight for the few trolleys to get all of your clobber to your car, followed by a long drive home where you unpack late in the evening followed by a full working week starting the next morning weighing heavy on your mind, you really start to lose the will!
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, having done a trade show, I can say from experience that you are absolutely on your knees in the last couple of hours of the last day. With the prospect of the scrum of packing down and the wait/queue/fight for the few trolleys to get all of your clobber to your car, followed by a long drive home where you unpack late in the evening followed by a full working week starting the next morning weighing heavy on your mind, you really start to lose the will!

Thankfully I didn't experience this on Sunday
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

I'm glad people enjoyed it, probably a confirmation for me that I'm over this sort of thing.

This
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Anyone get the SCGB spiel? That might have been interesting!

I passed a few times but they seemed, judging from their age profile, to be either chugger or DofE types rather than committed members that you saw on the Midland Ski Soc stand, or committee members.

In any case they seemed more interested in talking amongst themselves (bizarrely like some other stands, I mean why are you there?) than actively engaging , so maybe DofE, so I really couldn’t be bothered trying to get their attention.
snow conditions
Quote:

rather than committed members that you saw on the Midland Ski Soc stand,

Do you mean The Midland Ski Club?

http://midlandski.uk/index.php

Should they expect a legalese letter from the SCGB?
Do they have a trademark?

Potentially a nice little earner for some ingenious entrepreneur.
snow report
I nearly didn't bother going as had low expectations and no need for more kit. I parked at Resorts world, only a couple of quid for the brief time I spent there . Did enough damage to my wallet though as I thought I'd take the opportunity to pick the brains of ski equipment advisors and ended up buying 2 sets of skis for me and my partner, plus poles, plus bags. Ouch! Got some amazing expert knowledge and advice though so well worth it.
latest report
To be honest I'd probably have been more upbeat about the whole thing if I'd been there Sat morning - then I might have been tempted to snare the full adult sized ex demo Line Blades from the K2/line stand which I believe someone else here probably got.
snow report
@RobJsy, did you get the nerve up to ask how much the fauna skis were?

they were stunning looking, my youngest also loved the look of them as well.
we chatted to the stallholder who had said he designs them, but they are produced in Czechoslovakia, then grabbed a couple of stickers .

I always go on the maxim that if there is no price tag, they are out of my league!!!
ski holidays
Fauna aren't mental prices apparently - with the discount possibly below market MSRP for ski type

https://faunaskis.com/product/pioneer/
snow report
@terrygasson, Not as pricey as I thought…look very noyce!

https://faunaskis.com/product/alparka/
ski holidays
@terrygasson, Looked online and they seem reasonable (£400ish for the Alparka) - but need to know how they perform as we know looks can be deceiving.

They said they launched early 2019 so must have been a dark year or two for them....hope they are successful as they have a nice (looking) product.
ski holidays
cheers all, thats a surprise, i thought they would be far more expensive than that!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy