Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

National Snow Show NEC Birm 23 24 Oct 2021

Poster: A snowHead
@Richard_Sideways, Oh well that sounds like a lovely thing to drink Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think I'll just stick to the good old Magic Mushrooms. rolling eyes Cool Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Making a list of all the competitions here so it gives a snowHead more chance of winning!

-Ellis Brigham £1000 voucher
-ESF UK Stay for 2 in the French mountains with accommodation, lift passes AND ski@lessons with ESF UK and France ⁠Montagnes
-Decathlon £150 voucher
-Crystal Ski win a ski trip to La Plagne (doesn't say for how many)
-PowederMad win a luxury chalet off-piste guided holiday in France (you need to buy a shirt to enter)

And apparently if you get there for when the doors open, the show itself will be
Quote:
giving away some incredible goodies including VIP upgrades to the show and goodies from Salomon, AfterJam, Skiier & Snowboarder, Oxygene, Douk, Warmthru, The Right Kit and more, for those lucky few who are waiting for the doors to open at 9am on Saturday and Sunday. Don't miss out - there may be some familiar faces handing out the goodies...

Please feel free to add more if I've missed any.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
N.B I was not horizontal. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are on the way still… may see you there Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Already here - watching @iainm at the crystal stage Toofy Grin free Fulfill protein bars here too.

Great to see it so busy, and loads going on.

Btw another competition at the stall opposite Ellis B at the entrance Wink

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We now intend/hope going on Sunday morning, so @iainm, might get to see you in action there after all.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If anyone is after some free tickets, I've got 2 adult + 2 children tix we won't be using. PM me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any toiles inside the event? Currently queueing for them before going in…. Ladies queue very long
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bought some cheese...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Me and my daughters went this morning, got there about 8:45 to try and snag a few freebies in the queue, girls got a couple of free t-shirts, snack bars etc I think there was a group of blokes in retro ski gear who snagged a VIP package, but not 100% sure

It was good to see lots of punters there, no doubt a lot, if not all were on free tickets, and it was only for 2 days.

Managed several trips to the toffee vodka/moonshine stalls for free samples.
Between us we bought board wax, a t-shirt/hoody and beanie hat (and I bought a bottle of toffee vodka!!!)

Oh, and ended up sponsoring guide dogs for the blind!

My youngest had a couple of chats with snowboard professionals, as she wants to follow that path after school.
TBH, eldest not that enthused, but she is the least enthusiastic about the whole thing amongst us.

Entered loads of competitions, so expecting a deluge of emails soon, but will unsubscribe after draws have been made. Won a few little treats, mainly Tote bags and small bottles of gin.

Lots of little freebies, mainly Buffs, face masks, USB key rings, stickers and pens

Must admit, unfortunately didn’t see the snowHeads tee shirt wearer.

IMHO could still do with some more stalls selling ski/snowboard equipment

We decided we would go again next year to see if it will be bigger, but TBH if same size or smaller we would not bother again. We are here making a weekend of it anyway, as eldest is looking at the city as a possible Uni place

It would be a shame, if it didn’t improve, as I haven’t really visited Birmingham that much, but think it is easily accessible either by train or road
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where are the best freebies - always up for another buff?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Andorra and ski Scotland stands, had the buffs.
Esf and the “snowboard instructor podcast” stands for face masks
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Picked up a set of ex-demo Line Blades with Squire TCX 11 bindings for £325…… some silly bargains there but that took the biscuit - over the moon.

Nobody at my local slope had even heard of the event - they need a better publicist for 2022 and ideally it needs to be at least twice the size - but it was enjoyable.

Picked up plenty of cheap ski tools and wax - lots of bargains. Not bad for free entry but I’d be upset if I’d paid full price for today.

Will pay next year, as expect they’ll have it filled by then… if it’s still the same size… well… that’ll be that!
ski holidays
I really enjoyed it today...and it was busy! So good to see so many skiers and snowboarders excited about the season. I wish it was bigger too, but I think the organisers have done exceptionally well making it happen - I don't think there are any other shows on at the NEC this weekend! If lots of people go this year then more will exhibit next year.

If anyone is around for The Ski Podcast Live at 1145 tomorrow, then please come up and say hello.
ski holidays
Quote:

…anyone is around for The Ski Podcast Live at 1145 tomorrow,

Where’s DG when you need him/her/it? Madeye-Smiley

I guess no snowHead will be representing? Crying or Very sad

@iainm, Hope you’ll give the forum a shout-out and a bit of publicity.
snow conditions
I had great fun today - we were there from 10.30am - 5pm, and am looking forward to going back tomorrow (with another friend who couldn't make it today - but I have shopping to do tomorrow anyway, didn't have time today Toofy Grin )!

I thought it was great given the global circumstances - some shopping if that's what you want, but mainly lots of really interesting people to talk to, and hear from. The people on the stalls were great, and the stages had really good talks!

Sir Ranulph Fiennes was funny and fascinating, Warren Smith was very useful, and the Groundtruth team were thought-provoking - plus quite a few others we saw too. Great info about Scottish skiing too - we're already looking into a trip.

I did spot the guy in the snowhead t-shirt, but didn't recognise him - but did say hi to a couple of other snowheads (anarchic_saltire and Linds) snowHead snowHead

@iainm, I'll say hi tomorrow if I can find you Smile

Quote:

I don't think there are any other shows on at the NEC this weekend!

No shows - but saw loooooooooads of dressed up girls arriving as we were leaving. Turns out there's a JLS concert on in the arena section Laughing Laughing
snow report
This thread today is why I love this forum. Every other ski group I’ve seen is bitching about this event (granted, I didn’t go, so can’t comment), yet the snowHeads are here shouting about what’s been good Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

did spot the guy in the snowhead t-shirt, but didn't recognise him

He’s unrecognizable without his tweeds.
ski holidays
@AL9000, Laughing
snow report
Huge credit to the organisers, exhibitors, event contributors and all who have made it happen.
Quite a leap of faith in the recent public health and economic climate!

Hope it will return to being an annual show. Might be good to develop a link with the Tamworth Snowdome, to encourage visitors to make a weekend of it? Stratford, Warwick, Birmingham close by, with plenty to offer for non-skiers.
ski holidays
Had a nice time. Got some of the wax to try and new wax scraper. Myself and the girls got new ski hoodies - like idea of having one with lift pass pockets, air vents under armpits and a zip up double pocket on the front Smile. Didn’t know these things existed.

Just wish the NEC had opened the toilets inside the venue… constant queue for the ladies.

Nice to see Jenny from Hike and Ride, she looked busy each time we passed

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 24-10-21 9:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Was a good show, glad to see it was busy, probably a bit too busy at the side stands where groups would stop to talk to a small stand and block the asle for everyone else. Good to see that problem but the organisers could do with spreading it out a bit more.

I dragged along my none skier better halve and she came away with 2 bottles of toffee vodka so everyone's a winner. Cool
ski holidays
Presumably there is food available there? Just about to set off
snow report
We went yesterday too, was hoping for more ski resort/company/skiwear stands but plenty there for good few hours and tickets were free. Upbeat and friendly atmosphere, social distancing absent at times (one smaller stand in particular had so much stock packed in was super tight) but really enjoyed our visit. Picked up some skiwear and info. Worth looking at the talk programme, we caught the end of one which was pretty interesting.

Parking tip if you are planning shopping or lunch/dinner in resortsworld, a £20 spend gets you 12 hours parking for £2.50. Short walk to NEC then further walk through NEC to hall 6. Not good option for small kids/mobility issues but if you are happy to walk then saves fair bit on NEC parking.
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, we found food yesterday. Enjoy
ski holidays
polkadot wrote:
Parking tip if you are planning shopping or lunch/dinner in resortsworld, a £20 spend gets you 12 hours parking for £2.50. Short walk to NEC then further walk through NEC to hall 6. Not good option for small kids/mobility issues but if you are happy to walk then saves fair bit on NEC parking.

And if you purchase from The Perfume Shop or WHSmith, you can return your purchase easily elsewhere. Most of the other stores are outlets.

Not that I've ever done that before... Blush
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, the toilets inside were open, though it wasn’t well signed.

For anyone going today, they are behind the main speaking area, you go past the cafes on your left hand side.

I did see the queue for the ladies toilet as well, as it is shared by the weatherspoons
snow report
terrygasson wrote:
@NickyJ, the toilets inside were open, though it wasn’t well signed.

For anyone going today, they are behind the main speaking area, you go past the cafes on your left hand side.

I did see the queue for the ladies toilet as well, as it is shared by the weatherspoons

We were told by staff it was closed and people directed out the event?
ski holidays
I really enjoyed the show yesterday, but looking at what we came away with was a bit concerning - rather a lot of alcohol, cheese and some olives (at least one thing was healthy); no ski gear or much in the way of brochures. The only competition I entered was to try and win an ice climbing holiday, which I thik is in Italy, not Castleford.
ski holidays
Quote:

brochures

With info available online now, I’m happy to hear they’ve reduced the waste of paper.
snow report
@NickyJ, hopefully different today
ski holidays
Well that was a lot more expensive than I expected. Rule 3 kicked in and a pair of Volkl Deacon V.Werks made friends and levered my credit card out of my pocket.
ski holidays
@Timc, didn’t buy much there (apart from some excellent cheese and some clothes for the kids), but a visit to Keith at solutions4feet is probably going to result in my dropping a grand on new boots for me and the missus. Laughing
ski holidays
Really enjoyed a few hours at the Snowshow this afternoon. A nice atmosphere and just nice to be around snowsports again. Especially liked the whetting the appetite videos playing on the various stands - just great to see some lovely snowy mountains and ski action.

Not as big as previous ski shows we've been to but a good effort by the organisers. Good to see that covid passes were needed for entry.

Like a few others, bought some of the Moonshine alcohol after trying the samples - the toffee flavour one is amazing. Really liked the arty lift-system prints and intend to order one of those.

We heard one of the talks - by Jamie Barrow, the UK snowboarder who descended Mt Fort in Verbier at over 150kph and who now intends to be towed behind a car (on his board) at 210kph. Interesting stuff!

And picked up a *25% discount code for Snowdome. Wouldn't entertain the normal rate of £33 an hour Shocked but the discount makes it palatable. Brought our kit with us, are staying down here overnight and will ski in the morning Very Happy

Only negative was not booking the NEC parking in advance and coughing up a shocking £16 for the privilege on the day rolling eyes Where do they get these prices? Still, our show tickets were free.

*The Snowdome discount code is valid until 30th November for online bookings:
SNOWSHOW25
latest report
Don't suppose anybody found any discount codes for Chil Factore?

Planning on a visit in a couple of weeks. Any discount is a bonus. Toofy Grin
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Really liked the arty lift-system prints and intend to order one of those.

Sound interesting. Which exhibitor was this? Will then follow link from show website.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:

Only negative was not booking the NEC parking in advance and coughing up a shocking £16 for the privilege on the day rolling eyes Where do they get these prices? Still, our show tickets were free.

We had a booking with the ski boot fitters in the afternoon so thought we’d fork out for the expensive parking which was supposed to be “right next” to the hall. (So we could leave our boots in the car and grab them when we needed). It was further away than the cheaper parking because they didn’t open the right gates to make the walk down short. We paid £20 Shocked

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 24-10-21 19:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Timmycb5, If you can be bothered to complain you might get a refund of the premium you paid, but probably not worth the hassle...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy