Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colorado March '05: Where are we going?

Which resort should the snowHeads Colorado trip visit
Summit County (general)
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Breckenridge
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Copper Mountain
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Vail
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Steamboat
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Winter Park
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 0
Total Votes : 14

Poster: A snowHead
Pick a resort area that is to your liking. If you're not sure, ask!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-03-04 21:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ssh--I'm asking.Steamboat I know a little about,always thought it was considered a top venue.Aware that Breck is considered "high"(many seem to suffer altitude problems,from what I've read)Know little or nothing about the others.Personally I'm happy to be guided by "snowhead" experience.With a family of 5 Shocked I will be looking for a good range of skiing at the best price we can muster.Short transfers would be nice;not keen on 9/10hrs flight+hours on a coach etc.Oh,and a sherpa for the kids skis would be a nice touch Wink Who said the yanks were the worlds most demanding travellers Wink Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowskisnow, Steamboat is a drive from Denver, but we'd go for the connection into Yampa Valley airport (only a 30 minute drive from hotels). Steamboat is a great family location, mostly blue to blue/black, famous for its deep and light powder and trees. One downside is that it's probably small for a two-week trip.

Summit County includes Breck, Copper, Keystone, and Arapahoe Basin. We can ski any if we stay pretty much anywhere. There is obviously a broad range of choice there.

Vail is just over the pass from Copper, so is easy access from either side. It is one of the biggest in the States, and we can either stay there or in Summit.

I hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about Winter Park (spot the broken record here by me!)

Otherwise, I've skiied Breck, and think it's OK, would like to ski Vail and Steamboat, if only to meet up with a few epic friends.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can I register a "no preference" vote as I know nothing about these places?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish, you can. Or, alternatively, you can let us know what you most enjoy and we can let you know which may fit your desire.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, OK, I admit it, I didn't even consider Winter Park. It never occurred to me! Can you tell it's not even in the top tier for me? Shocked

OK. I'll add it. But only begrudgingly! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BTW, one other thing to add: I am currently planning on being a guide at Copper for next season, so that may feed into some of the opportunities we would have there. There is also a corporate relationship between Copper and Winter Park (both owned by IntraWest).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ssh--I'm in the Chris Bish camp here;though I have to say,given your last post,that Copper/Winter Park may be a bit of a favourite?Cant really come all the way over the big pond,and not ski with our Colorado Guru Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowskisnow, I am doing my best to be impartial; there is so much good skiing here! Let's use this thread to talk about the types of skiing, especially if you plan to be here for more than a week.

For example, how many days are you likely to ski? How many in a row? What size of area would you like for a holiday of this length? What about nighttime diversions?

C'mon, ya'll, ask away! Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have no idea about any of them so Im requesting the one with the Loudest, dirtiest, seediest bars please- and some good shopping!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, ssh, , my family and I are basically red run skiers, and don't venture off piste. We are easily pleased and don't mind travelling around. Also we thought for some years that "apres ski" was French for sleep.

We like beautiful scenery and friendly places (and yes, we do find France friendly!)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ssh, some nice easy motorway runs, please!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, hmmmm... That would probably be Breck and/or Summit County. WTFH, what's your take on this as a description of Winter Park? Not Vail, though, that's for sure.

Breck: best night life, great shopping.
Vail: "high class" night life, expensive shopping.
Steamboat: cowboy night life and shopping.

Confused
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sod the shopping, you can do that anywhere. Lead me to the swooshy stuff! Smile
snow report
Chris Bish, don't got no reds over here! snowHead

Reds correspond to blue squares here in the US, so any of these resorts will suit your skiing. They all have a lot of blue terrain, with Breck, Copper, and Vail the three best in my opinion (look out! Shocked Here comes Fox! NehNeh ).

The scenery is beautiful throughout these areas, with Steamboat perhaps the least awe-inspiring. I think the view of the Gore range from Vail, Copper, and Breck is breathtaking.
snow report
Michelle, do you mean very easy (European) greens? Or just well-groomed terrain that is reasonably wide and gentle?

Keep in mind that there will be many more trees than you are used to, and most skiing is done below treeline. Treeline here is right around 11,500-12,000'.
snow conditions
ssh, reds in europe are more like blue/blacks.
As for a description of Winter Park: Ski till you drop, drag your powder-tired legs into a hot-tub, have a few beers, then bed.

If you want shopping, go to a shopping mall.
If you want partying, go to a party.
If you want to ski, go to Winter Park.
snow report
ssh, both I suppose! Very easy runs that I feel I can conquor well, and something a little more challenging that I need to work harder at, but have the width to do huge turns when I feel I need to. Embarassed
latest report
Lol Fox, that sums it up perfectly!
No need for plush expensive mountain restaurants either...
snow report
markP, even though it has one! (which also does dinners one evening a week)
ski holidays
ssh wrote:

For example, how many days are you likely to ski? How many in a row?

As many days as are in the holiday Wink Although I guess after about 25 consecutive days I might want an afternoon off. snowHead
ski holidays
I have registered my vote for Summit County (general). I think for a large group breck would be the best base, lots of variety as far a bars/restaurants/shops are concerned.
snow conditions
I'm with WTFH and Elizabeth B.

If you want to party-go to Pas!
If you want shopping-go to Tesco!

Me,I want to ski till I drop;get up and ski again Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

As I know nothing(apart from brochure stuff)about any of the choices,my needs are as follows: Lots of snow and a good variety of graded runs.Sensible prices in resort for essentials & lift passes.As I have kids,nightlife of little interest.Nice area with stunning scenery.Good accomadation at sensible price.Max discount off ssh for guiding and lessons rolling eyes

BTW ssh;couple of other things.How do we plan to transfer/get around in general?
What is the real story behind Breck and altitude in general?
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, if you're a bump-head, I agree. If you're not, Winter Park will get old fast, I think. How long were you there?
snow conditions
As for Snowskisnow above, Kids are teens. , so will not appreciate being chucked out of restaurants and bars early though. We all want to try some off-piste.
snow report
Personally I don't know anything about any of the resorts but the general requirement of varied skiing mentioned by many above will suit my crew (4 adults 3 kids). What will ultimately decide the whole thing is cost and duration. If we are going as a group there must be concensus on the length of time we are there, where we stay etc.
I am happy to go with whatever is decided but I think we should be guided by ssh as he/she? is on the ground so to speak.
Is it possible to start to put guesstimate costs together. Travel we know, transfers, accommodation, ski pass/hire, etc. Can we arrive mid-week 'cos it's cheaper to fly then or is it like the Alps where it's Sat-Sat?
snow conditions
ssh, it's not all bumps! (OK, the best pistes are bumps) but there's also Vasquez Cirque, Timberline, all those trees...
I've only done 4 weeks there, or was it 6, I can't remember. Used to go for a two week trip and just stay at the one resort (which many on here would say you can't do in the US!)
snowskisnow, many of the good US resorts are high. This MAY cause problems with altitude sickness. It can strike anyone, but there are also things you can do to reduce the risk of suffering, such as drinking plenty of water. I've never had any problems with it, and you'll find that most people haven't, but you'll hear one or two stories, which may put you off.
You're probably more likely to get knocked down by a Number 17 bus in London than you are of getting altitude sickness, but again, some will tell you that they know of someone who gets it all the time...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hhmmm, now Wear The Fox Hat, Last time i was in WP, i suffered rotten altitude sickness, AND fell under a bus (don't think it was a # 17 though). It wasnt one of my luckier trips - i also had some equipment stolen, and crashed my Crying or Very sad rental car off road trying to drive to Staem Boat. hhmmmm...
snow report
Was this "luck" confined to just you or did it extend to other members of your group? You know, just wondering..... Laughing
snow report
Right then im not going
snow report
Oh, for those who want to shop, there are outlet stores at Silverthorne (or something like that) which is a driveable distance from WP, unless you're with Robbie, in which case, walk!
snow report
I don't get it. We have shops here. Why go to America to shop?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 30-03-04 14:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I certainly don't make shopping a priority when looking for a ski resort but if you're looking into buying gear then america is almost half price on most things...
ski holidays
Being a darksider my only brief is that we are allowed on the slopes, as i've heard a couple of resorts have "banned" snowboarders for some reason??? I'll give anything a try!! I've got no interest in the parks, just plenty of runs and some easily acessible powder???

Oh and a few decent bars later in the evening to recite the days stories.snowHead
latest report
I've only been to Breck, Keystone, and Vail but at those resorts "Darksiders" are more than catered for...With good snow, Vail would be freeride paradise, just acres and acres of wide open bowls! snowHead snowHead

I was actually skiing with a very good "local" boarder at Breck and she loves the terrain there and at Keystone too.

The only ban on snowboarders that i'm aware of is at Alta, although i'm more than prepared to be shot down in flames if i'm wrong. Shocked
snow report
Ready.
Aim.
Fire....

There are 5 resorts in the US which ban boarders. (just don't ask me to name them)
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, That was quick, Shocked
Are there any resorts in Colorado that ban boarders?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 30-03-04 14:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Not any of the big ones.
My memory is bad, but I think it's:
Alta
Deer Valley
somewhere near Tahoe
somewhere in Vermont
and another place.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, This website lists 4 of the resorts...Along with Alta and Deer Valley the other two are Taos (New Mexico) and Mad River Glen (Vermont).

http://snowboarding.about.com/cs/resorts1/tp/ban_snowboards.htm

So the good news for the darksiders among us is that they are all miles away from Colorado! Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy