Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Mojo Feedback Request

Poster: A snowHead
Hello - I'm investigating the purchase of the Ski Mojo. The device isn't known here in the US.

I’m 56 and ski both alpine and telemark - mostly telemark. I’m fit, but age has its effects so I am looking forward to trying the gear. Unfortunately the only reseller is in Denver 1000 miles away.

I’ve not seen any videos where the device is being demoed on moguls or where jump turns and an aggressive springing motion is common. Is there a concern that the device may not function well when used in this way?

Can the Ski-Mojo be used for ski-touring (AT skiing, ski mountaineering, randonee) where the device could facilitate cross country travel and skinning up hills with a loaded backpack?

It appears the Ski Mojo could be a huge aid for telemark skiers. With new technology coming into telemark (we finally have a modern releasable binding developed by a French engineer Pierre Mouyade at M Equipment), and with backcountry skiing growing, telemark is poised to expand.

The problem with this group of skiers is it's dominated by purists - it'll be a hard sell.

To me the device could be a fantastic tool for telemark skiers new and old. I have seen the YouTube video by the British telemark instructor in Norway who thoroughly endorses the product. While this marketing material is compelling, may I ask for input/suggestions/advice from true users? It would be very appreciated.

By the way - years ago - I worked in Sudbury for 9 months at the Swan Hotel (gone... sad) - so I'm not a complete foreigner. Wonderful times.

Take care - input appreciated - Muns
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Muns, I take it you have alrrady read these reviews on snowheads already

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3370356&highlight=skimojo#3370356
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=116291&highlight=skimojo
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2838491&highlight=skimojo#2838491
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91897&highlight=skimojo

and want to know more specifically what we think of them in moguls, telemark and touring.

I find mind very good in moguls. It allows me to flex my knees almost fully and I'm not sure how my knees would cope without them. I've never telemarked so cannot comment on that aspect. As for touring and skining I think they would be excellent. In fact I' looking forward to a walking boot version being developed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnE, Thanks for the search results. I've scoured the internet and watched most of the video reviews/setup instructions and the SkiMojo marketing material with Chemmy.

I've almost convinced myself to purchase without an actual demo based on the reviews. My biggest concern is the device is completely unheard of in the US. I can only guess that SkiMojo's reluctance to market the device here is due to the outrageously corrupt American legal system.

I'm encouraged that you think they would work while in tour mode.

The majority of all videos of the device show it being use on well groomed runs in GS mode. Just as a thought exercise, how do you think the device would react if worn by a young, highly competent mogul skier? Not that I would (or could) use it this way - just to understand its limitations. Would the spring reaction throw the skier off his line or possibly on leg extension cause the absorbers to lock? Again - I'm unable to demo and am trying to gather as much information before I drop $700. Thanks again for your help - Muns
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll try to answer a couple of question but Martin @mrmojo or @Mrs MoJo will probably be along soon.

Haven't tele'd but demoed one alpine. The spring assist is not aggressive and feels natural - you don't have to fight it at all. I'd say there is minimal chance of them locking. In fact the biggest challenge is standing up straight enough to turn them off which just doesn't happen in normal skiing even extending ( but isn't that hard when you need to for chairs etc)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Would the spring reaction throw the skier off his line or possibly on leg extension cause the absorbers to lock?

The spring action its self would be insufficient to throw the skier off line - it mearly augments the muscles in the quads and transfers some of the load from the knees directly to the bum. As to locking out while actually skiing - first of all if you managed to get your leg that straight skiing then you'd be in a very painful position any way; secondly they don't lock straight - they engage or disengage the mechanism and thirdly they are actually pretty hard to engage or disengage - I have to manually press them straight with my hands to operate the mechanism. There is no way I could see it happening by accident.
Quote:

Just as a thought exercise, how do you think the device would react if worn by a young, highly competent mogul skier?

I assume that you are worried that the highly competent mogul skier would be extenting their legs faster than the spring could rebound hence actually restrictiing their movements rather than helping. I haven't carried out any experiments but the rebound frequency of the spring is much higher than the speed of straightening the leg so I just cannot see it happening.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your responses. I can imagine the sensation of skiing on groomed hard-pack but I'd like to see the device skied on a variety of challenging terrain by advanced skiers - not because I'm going to ski them on such terrain - I know my limitations Very Happy - but to help provide a mental image. "The eyes of the mind are more easily directed to those objects which we have seen, than to those which we have only heard".

If there truly are no limiting factors and they simply provide 30% more leg strength in all skiing conditions for all skill levels, I wonder why there aren't more enthusiasts. They don't seem overly difficult to wear or manage. The cost is high but the payoff would exceed any other gear purchase.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Muns wrote:

If there truly are no limiting factors and they simply provide 30% more leg strength in all skiing conditions for all skill levels, I wonder why there aren't more enthusiasts. They don't seem overly difficult to wear or manage. The cost is high but the payoff would exceed any other gear purchase.

You can say the same about electric bikes etc. The young and athletic probably don't need them and in competition I guess they would be regarded as mechanical doping.

I demoed them when I was recovering from a fibula fracture and Martin kindly lent me a set ( I only live about 5 miles away). And for many here with former knee injuries and incipient arthritis they have returned a lot of joy to skiing. There's a French guy who lives in Val Thorens who loves his for snowboarding who we regularly bump into when there.

I can't see much downside beyond being another bit of kit to put on and potentially go wrong.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks - I'm pretty much convinced of purchasing without a demo. We may take a summer vacation to Leadville Colorado this summer. If we do I'll get in touch with the US rep.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I met a couple of ski mountaineering guides in La Grave who use them ....
That's a good enough recommendation for me .....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was with Martin (MrMojo) and Swiss Tim in the cafe in Orelle a couple of season ago.
A couple of French Seniors sat down at the same table as us one a snow boarder and one a skier...
All 5 of us were Mojo Equipped ... what are the chances of that happening?

The two French guys were amazed to be sitting at the same table as the inventor.
I'm 71 years old and its helping me keep going. I only really ski the piste though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey Dave of the Marmottes,
There's a French guy who lives in Val Thorens who loves his for snowboarding who we regularly bump into when there.

That probably one of the old French guys we met.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DrLawn, yeah I think I've seen the snowboard guy a few times around Orelle.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the responses. Must be great to have the Alps in your backyard! Where do average, middle-class British people ski? If a budget conscious person in the Midlands woke up early Saturday morning and said - "Let's go ski!" - where would they go? Scotland?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @Muns, & Welcome to the forum.
If a budget conscious person in the Midlands woke up early on Saturday morning he would say .. in a Peaky Blinders type accent ..
"Skiing today? I can't be R'sed", or something similar.

Scotland is a still a long drive for a weekend skiing and you have to be very keen.
The same guy would really have to book up a week before and book a last minute deal package either in January or End of Season to
Bulgaria. He could probably fly from a local airport, and ski for 6 days.
A better alternative would be to fly to Austria or Italy or a self catering apartment in France, where ever there is a last minute deal.

Or best book in advance the snowHeads on one of the "bashes" and arrive at Geneva Airport on the appropriate Saturday Afternoon.
There is no better deal for the budget conscious.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Muns wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Must be great to have the Alps in your backyard! Where do average, middle-class British people ski? If a budget conscious person in the Midlands woke up early Saturday morning and said - "Let's go ski!" - where would they go? Scotland?

probably tamworth (an indoor fridge)
snow report
Quote:

Where do average, middle-class British people ski? If a budget conscious person in the Midlands woke up early Saturday morning and said - "Let's go ski!" - where would they go? Scotland?

Swadlincote dry slope, or the Ackers in Smallheath Birmingham.

Seriously though, not Scotland. Scotland is a longway away from the English Midlands. Impulse trips are almost impossible to the Alpes (or Scotland). As someone who actually lives in the English Midlands he closest I would get to an unbooked ski trip would be to drive to Les Arcs in the French Alpes. It's only a 1600km drive and 14 to 15 hours. The journey alone would cost £500 or £600 in fuel, tunnel and tolls. With a lot of preplanning we have done weekends to Les Arcs, and les Sept Laux.

Having said that my wife did once do a weekend trip ski trip to Scotland. They drove overnight on the Friday night. stayed in a youth hostel Saturday night and drove back over night Sunday night. They spent most of the time in lift queues rather than skiing.
ski holidays
Interesting - Looking online I see those resorts are farther than I thought. Nevis Range looks to be the most challenging?

Yes, I could see jumping in a car Friday night for a long trip up to ski on Saturday. I fear I couldn't afford trips to the Alps!

We are fortunate in the northern midwest (Wisconsin Minnesota, Michigan, Dakotas) there are over 50 small ski hills within an hour or so of most people. Typically 1 or 2 lifts or a rope tow on a north facing hill normally not higher than 500 vertical feet. Almost all can make snow so we always have a season. Not great but you'd be surprised at the challange of steep short icy runs!

If you're every visiting northern Wisconsin/Michigan the best skiing is near the Great Lakes. Within this lake-effect snowbelt, 1 - 2 foot dumps are pretty common. Mount Bohemia - on a peninsula that juts into Lake Superior - gets Rocky Mountain snow quantities.

The skiing population in the midwest is still quite large but aging. I think Ski Mojo would sell like hotcakes! Very Happy
snow conditions
They certainly help me, infact I might find it difficult to ski if I'm not using them.
I don't use them on indoor slopes though.
It took me a couple of seasons to find out how to put them on right, so get good instruction.
You have to make a small adaption to your boots as well to take the ball and socket joint, but its worth it.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/qqv1qTIRBeA
ski holidays
ah .. just reread and see that you have seen this video ...
Im also a telemark skier im 57 , tour and ski moguls ( why wouldnt you ??) etc .. i use the mojo and id recommend it. Depends on the knee problem of each individual.. mine is/was arthritic and where i stopped any form of exercise blah blah blah my knee problem was exasperated by stability muscle loss. I use inline skating to build that area so i dont consider my knees as a "problem", rather a weakness that needs a little support now and then ..

I know of a few who use them ..they are older and use them to take the weight off and it really overcomes lack of technique and so adds endurance for them , and therefore they enjoy their day for longer ...
snow report
limegreen1 wrote:
ah .. just reread and see that you have seen this video ...
Im also a telemark skier im 57 , tour and ski moguls ( why wouldnt you ??) etc .. i use the mojo and id recommend it. Depends on the knee problem of each individual.. mine is/was arthritic and where i stopped any form of exercise blah blah blah my knee problem was exasperated by stability muscle loss. I use inline skating to build that area so i dont consider my knees as a "problem", rather a weakness that needs a little support now and then ..

I know of a few who use them ..they are older and use them to take the weight off and it really overcomes lack of technique and so adds endurance for them , and therefore they enjoy their day for longer ...

Thanks limegreen - great to hear from a telemarker. So they seem to function well on flat and upslope skinning? I'm going to purchase based on my research and the many great responses here on Snowheads. They seem like a no brainer - ha! I just need to start putting away the cash. My twin boys need tele gear next season as well.

Just an FYI to a fellow telemarker - for coverage of the US scene, Craig Dostie is the US telemark community’s “Tech Guru”. He’s been in the industry since the 80s, is an engineer, and is open minded. I'd love to have him review Ski Mojo.

Check out his Earn Your Turns website his Backcountry Talk forum - also his contributions at the Freeheel Life youtube channel. Great gear reviews.

Dostie is partnered with Josh Madsen at Freeheel Life who does a weekly podcast - he recently interviewed Italian Luca Gasparini. I guess he's a fixture of the Italian Telemark scene. He was an early gear rep for Scarpa, an instructor, part of the La Skieda Telemark event that once took place in Livignio, Italy. He’s just started a new publication Telemark Journal. I purchased the 2nd edition - great international coverage of the sport.

If you know all this already - my apologies! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy