Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring 2021, let's see your lockdown lines!

Poster: A snowHead
In response to Weathercam, seems a perfectly good idea to post all your ideas here, after all, it seems BobinCH is no longer a Wally Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
KenX wrote:
In response to Weathercam, seems a perfectly good idea to post all your ideas here, after all, it seems BobinCH is no longer a Wally Laughing

I was going to say that as well Laughing

So doubling up I know Very Happy

Anyway Kenx and I went out yesterday and I opted for a route that maybe was not the best choice bearing in mind it was for both of us our first real tour of the season.

I nick-named the route 47 Kick Turns after the first time we did it which is sort of self-explanatory and as it's in the forest can be tough at times especially over 2,000m.

Prior to going, I'd decided to take a different descent to the more usual one, so after using Google Earth and maps to correlate the glades off we set.

Luckily or not a well-defined skin track was present, the only issue was that at times was quite slippery and hard-packed so best strategy on the kick-turns was to try and go into what soft-snow there was at the sides.

Decided to transition in the trees as even though we could have gone higher it was more exposed and I think Kenx measured the slope angle at 36 where we were and those open gulleys with no trees were like that for a reason!

Gnarly climb

And obviously thought better of posting any pictures of me enjoying myself so as not to antagonise the Forum Police Laughing

Do now have a bit of a blister, as I used too small a competed on the hot-spot after my first tour up the piste, I can feel the sympathy Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll kick off with a little lappage of the meadows opposite our chalet, our village on the right of the first pic:

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like gun running or drug smuggling, "lock - down lines"!
Well done guys, keep the pics coming good to see folk out and about.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No lockdown and ski resorts open in Sweden, but only lift based skiing done so far this season. Planning some touring or ski trekking though Smile

Keep the pictures coming.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Themasterpiece wrote:
......Keep the pictures coming.

+1
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+2
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KenX wrote:
I'll kick off with a little lappage of the meadows opposite our chalet, our village on the right of the first pic:

You're doing well if you own a chalet and a village.

Just to be clear - I've seen the pics and the elevation map 3 times now, did you do it three times or just the once?

+3 for the pics though.

PS I would love to send some of my recent pics of me skining up then bursting through the deep powder on the way down - but up this end of the alps there are only bits of man made snow about at the ski resorts and millions of Viennese fair weather skiers fighting for it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's some images of the last week or so, Skiing around the Écrins and the Queyras.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ecrinscollective,

Nice Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ecrinscollective, that has to be Richard in that last one Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Rob, who let you in? Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
KenX wrote:

You're doing well if you own a chalet and a village.

Just to be clear - I've seen the pics and the elevation map 3 times now, did you do it three times or just the once?

Just the chalet sadly...........

2 laps was enough for me as I had a whingeing septuagenerian with me moaning about all the kick turns.......

No, it wasn't Weathercam Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:
......Keep the pictures coming.

+1

+4
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

that has to be Richard in that last one

yep that's him all in black messing with my photos.

Quote:

Hi Rob, who let you in?

I know I figure they will throw me out at some point Confused
ski holidays
Relatively big day out in the Glen Feshie hills local to me in the Northern Cairngorms making the most of exceptional weather and snow cover.

One for another day

snow report
@charlie.wilkinson, that looks epic. When Scotland is on, it really is on. I've been fortunate to hit the jackpot a couple of times. Enjoy
latest report
Too many great pictures floating around and too much time to study them.
I was sure that I had seen more from@charlie.wilkinson, than appeared on the "Scotland" thread. Here they are
Out of interest, is it snowing up there today?
ski holidays
Slight thread drift - anyone ever powder skied in a kilt? If so what's it like, refreshing?
latest report
DB wrote:
Slight thread drift - anyone ever powder skied in a kilt? If so what's it like, refreshing?

Apparently it comes into it’s own in waist deep powder snowHead
snow report
Today's jolly was on the Briançon side of the ski area, we left a car at Puy St André and then drove to Puy St Pierre, where we hiked up to round about the bottom of the Rocher Blanc chairlift, then skied down to Puy St André in some sweet sun-softened powder Very Happy

snow conditions
KenX wrote:
Today's jolly was on the Briançon side of the ski area, we left a car at Puy St André and then drove to Puy St Pierre, where we hiked up to round about the bottom of the Rocher Blanc chairlift, then skied down to Puy St André in some sweet sun-softened powder Very Happy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kpXyC2[/url]

Looks awesome! How’s the snow down your way?
snow report
@BobinCH, Amazingly good, just enough to keep us going Very Happy
ski holidays
Great pics all.

BobinCH wrote:
DB wrote:

Apparently it comes into it’s own in waist deep powder snowHead

The airbag crotch strap could cause some problems though. (asymmetric turns for a start)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 7-01-21 16:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I'm starting to get concerned, there is a severe lack of jack russels in this thread.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
I'm starting to get concerned, there is a severe lack of jack russels in this thread.

Here you go, though not ski-touring, Kiki is getting on and is showing it, plus they both find powder hard work and when it's cold (-13) like it was this morning Beanie suffers, that said they can happily do 10km XC at a faster pace than touring snowHead

And more pics from this morning.

And even though it was really cold soon quickly shed layers, but as soon as you were in the shade of the trees!
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
DB wrote:

Here you go, though not ski-touring, Kiki is getting on and is showing it, plus they both find powder hard work and when it's cold (-13) like it was this morning Beanie suffers, that said they can happily do 10km XC at a faster pace than touring snowHead

Yes, but what about the dogs??????????
latest report
DB wrote:

Another one for you from today, was rather luscious, till I tore my binding off Puzzled

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149515&start=400

Twas circa 1,100m climbing in 2:30:00'ish

https://www.strava.com/activities/4586702047

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Meadow skipping old powder at 3000m Obergurgl today (the resort is closed 'til at least 21st Jan) - this is normally a red piste:

http://youtube.com/v/6rWs3YZ4Bmg

Snow conditions are kinda weird around here - low tide in the majority of Tirol, then deep (but kinda spooky with weak layers) in Ost Tirol and at the ends of the big glacial valleys running south in the main alpine ridge.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Meadow skipping old powder at 3000m Obergurgl today (the resort is closed 'til at least 21st Jan) - this is normally a red piste:

http://youtube.com/v/6rWs3YZ4Bmg

Snow conditions are kinda weird around here - low tide in the majority of Tirol, then deep (but kinda spooky with weak layers) in Ost Tirol and at the ends of the big glacial valleys running south in the main alpine ridge.

Oh wow. Looks fabulous snowHead
ski holidays
A great day on La Blanche,

https://www.ecrinscollective.com/guidebook/ski-touring
snow conditions
@clarky999, hi Matt, it looks awesome. I know that area quite well - that's from the top of the schemerbahn gondola in Hochgurgl.
ski holidays
Great pics & clips guys.
Keep em coming.
snow conditions
At least once a season I tour up from the village next to us, La Salles Les Alpes, 1,435m heading towards the Col de Granon and the Gardiole 2,753m, and usually when I'm far more acclimatised!

The method behind the thinking is that everyone else who tours up the Granon starts a good kilometre away at Villard Late so with this route I normally have the mountain to myself. It's an area I know very well, almost my back-garden as I cycle and run up there a lot!

Today I opted to boot-pack a steep path in the forest as opposed to a winding Chemin to gain elevation fast.

As I broke out of the forest the snow-pack was decidedly wind-affected so the next couple of hours I climbed trying to suss out where the best cold snow would be for the all-important descent and at least on a couple of occasions I came close to packing in.

However, the snow became better and I was rewarded with a long descent, devoid of people and tracks, well apart from animal tracks as you'll see Very Happy

It was only when I was editing the video, and it is long, as I'm talking pretty well all the way through it, that I noticed the knocking sounds of my bindings, but hopefully you'll find the bollox I'm spouting of interest, not least about my 97 year old Mum who tested positive for Covid yesterday!

It was nigh on 1,250m of vertical.

http://youtube.com/v/OWqNEzEFhSM
snow conditions
Well I for one enjoyed the bollox.
snow conditions
Never mind the bollox wink what was causing the knocking sound? Get well wishes to Mama Weathercam ( some mother‘s do ave em Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
@Weathercam, very interesting, what kind of vehicles go up that wider track?
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Iike it. Fingers crossed for you mum.
snow conditions
Ony one so far, and all either piste or pisted by numbers of people, hopefull for some fresh later this week.

http://youtube.com/v/hr1w_fRRXDE
ski holidays
@Idris,

Nice, great drone footage.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy