Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Single Parent Skiing!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

This has probably been covered before but I couldn't find much on the search, sooooo....

I want to take my 4 year old boy skiing for the first time (will be 5 by next season) and have him in ski school with other English speaking children. I've checked out Esprit and Club Med but wondered about other alternatives? Or if there are other people in a similar situation to me who take their little ones skiing or want to take them for the first time? Whilst my son is learning I would like to ski in a group, it's way more fun than on my own. I would describe myself as an advanced skier, happily go down anything and I like to cover a lot of ground. My plan would be that I would ski in the morning and spend time with my son in the afternoon. Cervinia would be ideal as it may well be Easter or early season and he's also a fussy eater so pizza/pasta would be a good option!

Any suggestions welcome!!!

Thanks

Patrick
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used Ski Famille when i took my then 5 year old on my own, my wife was working and we wanted to ski ! I used their ski school and lunch service and on a couple of days she went for the afternoon as well, fraknly everybody won. While not cheap she had an absolute ball, i got to do some skiing and joined up with a few people in the chalet for some company and the service was stellar. There will be alternatives and not sure how mixed chalets will work these days Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easter is quite late next year 15-18 April, so being high/north facing slopes likely to be important.

Ste Foy could well be worth checking out, a 1 bed apt on a self catered basis in something like Etoile Des Cimes which is close to slopes and ski school, plus has a pool for little one if gets bored of skiing.

granted this doesnt give you your group ski or masses of ground, but there is an SF facebook page you could no doubt hook up with someone to ski.

mainly English visitors/owners too and a great choice of ski schools, ESF & Snocool.

As a place to learn for little ones it ticks a lot of boxes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Far be it for me to big-up Snowheads, but there is the SH Family Bash. Theres plenty of 4yo ski school in VT for a morning lesson, most likely kids of a similar age, and plenty of adults of a SH disposition to ski around with for the morning. You've got your own kitchen so you can take care of Jnrs dietary requirements yourself. Theres a pool at the hotel Admin uses for splashy fun as well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@trader72, UCPA (Action Outdoors) has family weeks. Not done one, but have looked many times.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for SnowHead Family Bash. Been there. Done that. With granddaughter. Hoping to go again in April 2022
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for your responses. Snowheads Family Bash would be of interest, can't seem to find details? Presumably it's in school holidays?

Themasterpiece wrote:
@trader72, UCPA (Action Outdoors) has family weeks. Not done one, but have looked many times.

Yes I'm keeping an eye on this; priority is going to people that booked last year but it's a distinct possibility. I've been on several UCPA trips, my only concern is my son not being with English speaking children, I think he would struggle with that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
trader72 wrote:
Thank you for your responses. Snowheads Family Bash would be of interest, can't seem to find details?

All sHs bashes are in the snowEvents part of the forum, the thread for the 2022 Family Bash is here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155376
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
trader72 wrote:
Thank you for your responses. Snowheads Family Bash would be of interest, can't seem to find details? Presumably it's in school holidays?

Themasterpiece wrote:

Yes I'm keeping an eye on this; priority is going to people that booked last year but it's a distinct possibility. I've been on several UCPA trips, my only concern is my son not being with English speaking children, I think he would struggle with that.

Booking through Action Outdoors should mostly be British kids? The family weeks coincide with U.K. school holidays. UCPA.se for Sweden has different family weeks, though that would also be ok as all Swedish kids speak English
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Themasterpiece wrote:
trader72 wrote:

Themasterpiece wrote:

Booking through Action Outdoors should mostly be British kids? The family weeks coincide with U.K. school holidays. UCPA.se for Sweden has different family weeks, though that would also be ok as all Swedish kids speak English

Yes but I need a Family Plus week for the child lessons and they are saying they will most likely be filled by those who booked 20/21. The w/c 2nd April is possible but it's a bit low for late season (?) in Serre Chevalier and I'd have to book a ski school for my boy seperately.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was in the same position a few years ago with my 5 & 8 year olds - Yes 2 of them and just me and it was their first ski trip!

Ski Familie all the way for me - it was a god send having the nanny set up - they collect them after breakfast, get them ready for skiing and take them to the ski school, back for lunch at the chalet and then its up to the parent whether they leave the kids for the afternoon activities or not.

Yes, its more expensive but boy is it worth it - at that age and in that situation it could very easily put either the parent off or the kids off for life!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We used Ski esprit for years. They were great. DS was not keen on skiing for several (4/5) trips, so don't assume your little mite will necessarily be following you any time soon. (ps DS is uber keen now)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@trader72, Hi Patrick. I'm a single dad so have experience of this. We went with Esprit to Val D'isere a couple of times. It was great and I can recommended. At a few places (Val being one of them) they have smaller rooms (actually not that small) that are only suitable for two, so you can get a good deal for father and son etc. You can read a post I had about it here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120611

My son went ski school in the morning, I think I paid extra for lunch club thing which meant I collected him around 1pm. We skied together then for a few hours. The kids all eat together at 6pm, but you can chose not to do that if you wish. Then they go to kids club and adults eat at 7pm if I recall. You will be sat with other guests and moved around each night. And in Val, I think there as 3 or maybe 4 rooms the same so had other single parents too. It was great as I met new friends and never felt lonely, and my son had new friends too.

Highly recommend. Speak to Esprit about the small rooms they have. Good luck!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boofont, also do e Esprit a number of times when daughter younger and worked really well
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy