Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to buy new skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been skiing K2 Shreditor 92 2015 for 5 years now - is it time for new skis? Has technology moved on much for all mountain skis?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MW1973, Welcome to Snowheads. It's always a good time to buy new skis!! I'm sure some rather better reasoned advice will follow soon
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHead If you've been skiing so long, why didn't you join earlier? Very Happy Very Happy

No doubt you will get advice both ways from here.

How many weeks have you used them and under what conditions? If they are showing signs of wear or damage, then may be time to replace them.

If they are still in good nick, and still well within the technical performance for your ability, then no real need to change.

Some people change them every year, just to be colour coordinated. Very Happy Others just because they feel the need, or can't resist a bargain.
Some keep a faithful old pair because they can't bear to be parted from them.

Be aware of the pitfalls of buying for delivery from the EU at the moment in regard to additional VAT and carrier fees.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The answer to this question never changes and is always - now Very Happy
As a new member the rules are always a good place to start and Rule 3 always applies Toofy Grin
Quote:

3: The correct number of pairs of skis or snowboards in your quiver is n+1 (where the minimum value for n is 3 : piste, off-piste/tour and park)

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm currently the owner of seven pairs of skis (trying to sell two of those!) but in answer to your question: no, not really. Not enough that new skis will change your skiing and turn you into a ninja overnight. If you've been skiing them for back-to-back seasons then they're probably as robust as marshmallow by now, if once or twice a year then probably OK.

Spyderjon (of the Piste Office) is on here and he knows so much about skis and their construction he's like Rainman.

I'd save the money and pay for a week of group lessons or something. Focussed lessons with a firm objective e.g. learn how to carve are very underrated but even a week of half-days can be surprisingly effective.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1 Check calendar
2 Does day have a Y in it?
3 Good time to buy new skis
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I didn't think all-mountain skis had any technology in them?? They are made of garden canes, string and recycled chopping boards. Ski manufacturers spend their R&D budget on piste skis and off-piste skis!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check the top sheet. If there are any marks, buy new skis.
Check the bases. If there are any scratches, buy new skis.
If they are not the latest graphics, buy new skis.
If they are not orange, buy new skis.
If your mate has newer skis, buy new skis.
If you don't ski like Bode Miller on your current skis, buy new ones.
I hope this helps. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Buy new skis. They solve all of life's problems. (Literally, everything.)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all!!! They have had 2 weeks use per year for 5 years. How can I check if they are still ‘robust’ or ‘marshmallow’?!
Newer skis appear to be lighter - so you notice that when skiing?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah 10 weeks use is only 60 days ish. They are still robust unless they've been made from one of those stupid foam cores. Flex them - do they snap back or kinda wallow?

In all seriousness they'll probably still be fine for you and I probably wouldn't change a 5 year old ski I enjoyed skiing like for like for one with similar dimensions but newer. But if you want to try something different while still just about having some resale value on your old skis then it's probably the right time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy