Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

December trip options

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So got some great advice regarding our now booked March trip for next year. We also have our January trip locked in to the 3V! So now we are looking at an early season trip! (making up for not being able to ski this season!).

Having never been away for a trip in December before, I was hoping for a bit of advice from you knowledgeable lot.

I know that, anything in December is very changeable from year to year and that people recommend leaving it till as late as possible. But we don't particularly like leaving it late and prefer to have our trips planned well in advance! So looking to hedge our bets are much as possible with height/glacier/snow cannon coverage.

So, we are strong intermediates and only ski on-piste. Going from 11th-18th December. Enjoy good food and a drink, but not mental apres.

Before the incoming - Val Thorens/Tignes suggestions. We want to explore Austrian/Italian/Swiss resorts are a preference (preferably Austria)

We much prefer apartment/self catering accommodation than hotels and have found places that tick our boxes in the below resorts. We are going with height/glacier or both.

Zell Am See/Kaprun - an area we really want to explore but conscious that Zell itself isn't overly high but obviously when the temp allows, I assume snow-making kicks in. Obviously backed up by Kaprun which should guarantee us skiing. At that time of year, would it be better to base in Kaprun and bus to Zell or base in Zell and bus to Kaprun? We also like this option as the town/area itself gives us options to do if we decide to have a non-ski day. And also, if the early season snow is good, we can jump in the car/bus and head up the road to Saalbach (an area we love!).

Zermatt/Cervinia - Obviously the ski area will have snow at that time. And from what I've read, there is a good chance on both sides of almost getting back into resort on skis? Cervinia appeals to me in regards to cost but Zermatt (I believe unless told otherwise) has the better skiing, especially if the top shuts in high winds, which I've read can be common at that time of year?

Saas Fee - Again snowsure with height and a glacier on its side and from what I've been told a lovely resort. At that time of year, is Saas-Grund generally skiable?

Mayrhofen - even though the resort is low, I believe nearly all the pistes are above 1600m and they claim to have 100% snow cannon coverage. With the added bonus of Hintertux up the road, could this be a good option. We have found some decent accommodation at the foot of the Hobergbhan lift, so a little bit out of Mayrhofen itself.

Verbier - well more specifically La Tzoumaz. We have found probably the pick of the accommodation options here, but it would be a no-go for us if chances are we couldn't ski back down into La Tzoumaz.

Any thoughts on the above? We have looked at both Obergurgl and Obertauern but can't seem to find accommodation that isn't hideously expensive/not what we are after. So if anyone can suggest any decent self catering apartments for 4 people then please let me know!

Thanks all!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did Zermatt first week in December a few years ago. Was fantastic. A fairly quiet time to visit. There will certainly be snow at high level and probably all the way down to close to the town if not all the way. Zermatt fares better than Cervinia for winds I think.
Only issue this year is I wonder whether resorts like this will be busy with the release of pent up demand.
I've not been to Saas Fee but hears it can be very cold in December as not much sun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It’s going to be down to personal taste.
Of the ones on your list, I personally found Mayrhofen fine for the skiing but too brash in town in the evenings for my taste.
Again, personal view, I found Zermatt fine for skiing and fine in town but eye wateringly expensive for my pocket. I think the cheapest meal out in the evenings was about £23 for a pizza. Of course there may be cheaper places we hadn’t found.
I liked Zell am See. It would suit me.
But don’t get obsessed with height. It does matter but further East the snow stays longer when it does fall.
So the Dolomites (yes, I know, not on your list) hold the snow well. And that works when coupled with snow making. So you are very likely to get a lot of piste skiing (obviously off piste depends on natural snowfall).
The Northern part of the South Tyrol (the Südtirol) is in Italy but literally just over the hill from Austria.
Kronplatz is in Italy - the Südtirol - but is more “Tirol” than “Italy” in some of the villages.
I suggest you add San Vigilio to your list. Lots of good quality self catering. High chance of snow on Kronplatz. A short drive (30-45 minutes) from the central part of the Dolomites with extensive snow making on piste.
We stay at www.mareo.it and no, I am not on commission
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Fridge03, Zell and Mayrhofen are both good options, and with luck you'll not need the glaciers at all. Personally I would want to be in the town for both, though Kaprun is a reasonable place to stay. Outside of Mayrhofen tends to be a little quiet, though some of the villages up the valley are good in busier periods. From Mayhofen, Zell am Ziller and the run over to Gerlos/Konigsleiten are also possible, as is the other end of the valley.

A lot depends on when you go - many of the regular places will be planning to open from sometime around 10-11th December, not because that's when the snow arrives, but because that's when people are confident in booking. If you are unlucky and do need the glaciers, both have a reasonable amount to offer as long as you're not looking for unguided off-piste (crevasses are not fun). Being on a glacier, T-bars are also a necessary evil, so you should expect more than a few. And of course if the snow does arrive, skiing on a glacier at 3000m in 80mph winds and white-out conditions is not exactly fun.

All that being said, I've had a couple of pre-Christmas trips solo or with a regular buddy in the past which worked out well - there is no apres and many places will not be fully open, but while it was a different experience being the only people in the bar and talking to the owner for a couple of hours rather than fighting your way through a hoard of people, we liked it and that seems much more attractive especially now. Having the piste to yourself was also a win. We're booked in again for this year, 11-18 December in Söll - not especially high, and no nearby glacier, but it's never been an issue for us.

No experience of the others. If I was to add anything, it would be the Ski Amadé area - Flachau and Zauchensee in particular, with the (limited) glacier at Dachstein as backup. Webcam watching shows that coverage is usually more than adequate from the beginning of December, despite the low altitude of Flachau.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saas Fee is a good bet for a December trip but Saas Grund, despite having lifts up to 3200 metres asl, did not have a scheduled opening until December 19 this season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Fridge03 said
Quote:
if the early season snow is good, we can jump in the car/bus and head up the road to Saalbach (an area we love!).

The early season snow is always good in Saalbach, as they have superb snow making. We've been going pre-Xmas for many years and have not had a bad week yet.
Unbelievably, the poor snow years seem to be the best as they have prepared the pistes perfectly but no one is there, so you have it all to yourself Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We got mayhofren booked for the same week, with cancelable accommodation .
Depending on conditions, we are keeping the dolomites open as an option.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for your thoughts all.

Glad to see I’m on vaguely the right train of thought.
I hadn’t rulled out the Dolomites as I know their snowmaking is almost (if not) second to none. And having had my first taste last season, we will certainly be back.

However, the friends we are going with have never experienced Austria. So that is why at the moment our preference is there. Plus, it’s so much friendlier on the wallet than our Swiss options certainly.

Zell Am See is really appealing as the town looks beautiful and will hopefully be full “Christmas” by mid December. We are doing just one week but our friends staying on, so they can do their second week up the road in Saalbach (we’ve already been).

Saying that Mayrhofen is another place high on my list! And I like the thought of the height of the skiing plus the cannon coverage.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obergurgl must be one of the most reliable places. Have it booked for December...and mid April. Solden now fully included on lift pass.

Zell am See in February - seems a bit risky at the ends of the season - want to be able to get to Saalbach easily
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy