Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mount Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Note that the slope is slightly shallower from the mid point down.

15º top half, 10º bottom half.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So we went today and had a very enjoyable few hours... all very nicely organised, the slope operates at reduced capacity so not crowded at all , we booked a 2 hour slot, which was just enough time for us all. My youngest had a bit of a wobble on the first go at the top of the main slope but a young instructor kindly offered to take him on a training slope to help him get his confidence back and he was totally fine whizzing around the main slope after that with his brother and friends. So a lovely day out for all!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bella2015, Glad to hear it all went well. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
3hrs of HH sliding for us without a hitch on Friday, kids had fun skiing and snowboarding through their session and ski legs came back after a run or two.. Their new contactless booking system seems to work ok, though do make sure you've got your QR code to hand (or phone).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

So we went today and had a very enjoyable few hours... all very nicely organised, the slope operates at reduced capacity so not crowded at all , we booked a 2 hour slot, which was just enough time for us all. My youngest had a bit of a wobble on the first go at the top of the main slope but a young instructor kindly offered to take him on a training slope to help him get his confidence back and he was totally fine whizzing around the main slope after that with his brother and friends. So a lovely day out for all!

And kudos to the instructor who helped out. That's raised my already favourable impression of Hemel up another notch.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a heads up: Hemel's summer monthly passes offer has restarted - better value for regulars.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quiet this morning.

The snow was in pretty good condition for artificial stuff, although the stuff about half was down on the left seemed more sticky than the rest. Not sure exactly why that is.

Mostly there was no one else on the slope on the way down and you can ride pretty much all the way around to the lift if no one's queueing there.
All masked, no real closer than two meters contact. I guess I prefer it in times of pandemic because it's so quiet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philwig wrote:

The snow was in pretty good condition for artificial stuff, although the stuff about half was down on the left seemed more sticky than the rest. Not sure exactly why that is.

The snow cannons are in the gantry above the left hand side and when it has snowed overnight the fresh stuff lies there and feels a bit sticky until it gets some traffic. Most of the early morning regulars know this which is why you'll see them mostly on the right hand side of the slope until the other side has had some traffic Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks - good to know. I migrated right after discovering the stickiness on my 1st run.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig, once you know it can be mildly amusing to watch the unwary find out for themselves Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was there yesterday 10-12.00 for my first ski. Much better with fewer people and the snow was nice and grippy. I don't know if there were other snowheads (I asked a couple of people if they were, and they weren't.)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philwig wrote:
Quiet this morning.

Nice Kessler!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
once you know it can be mildly amusing to watch the unwary find out for themselves Toofy Grin
That was me, nearly lost it, which I don't think I've ever done inside. A classic deceleration combined with a deep edge bite.

Doofenschmirtz wrote:
... Nice Kessler!
wink just the job for that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re: sticky snow at Hemel.
Hmmm.
My experience is, it does vary as to when and where it's sticky.
Hardly surprising, as contrary to what one might think, the conditions in the shed are not constant.
It can get sticky on skier's right too, although I agree it's more often on the left, also usually more at the bottom.
The temperature in there varies.
The humidity does too, sometimes creating a noticeable (frozen?) fog.
Which probably falls onto the snow surface.
As the snow gets worked over it differs in quality from the snow that's less so.
And it does seem to differ between parts of the space.
Even the first run on the corduroy can be sticky sometimes.
It can get very sticky sometimes, so much so you that don't actually slide easily on the bottom bit at all.

It used to annoy me, but now I try to notice it and adjust as it occurs - it's a nice extra challenge if you like that sort of thing.
Not much fun for the raw beginners though!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Fat George, It's engineered speed moderating safety snow....
snow report
^ Suspected as much Eh oh!
ski holidays
My daughter and family went to Hemel today - a Christmas present from the other grandparents. The kids had a ball, apparently. It's a bit of a trek from here but they all have an endless capacity for listening to Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter!
latest report
Went to Hemel at 10.00. Nice and empty. Also nice to meet @Fat George who wasn't fat, but was George. Bought an ice axe.
snow report
snowball wrote:
Bought an ice axe.
Social distancing tool?
snow conditions
@anarchicsaltire, lol, to defend myself from separatist (anarchic) Scots next week.
snow report
@snowball Nice to meet you too!

Oh and please do bring the ice axe to Hemel - I've seen a couple of good toe and hand holds up the left hand side, but only here and there. If a stranger asks why you've brought it to Hemel, you could say it usually helps break the ice . . Shocked Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@Fat George, An ice axe would probably make nice holes in the insulation.
If you look at the "Snow Reports" area of snowheads and then the Scottish Snow thread, you will see that a few of us are heading up.
latest report
Had a lovely time there on 19th April. If you are a SnowCentre member you get a free 2-hour lift pass for use 2 weeks either side of your birthday. So nice to be back on snow even if it was indoors. Well organised, not crowded (slightly busy on the hour at changeover time). Only sad not to be able to eat there at the moment though hoping that will go back to the summer system of ordering via Q codes and not sharing tables etc. It's a two hour drive from me otherwise would use it more like ski gym.
snow report
snowball wrote:
@Fat George, An ice axe would probably make nice holes in the insulation.

Or a blue Glycol fountain, which sounds pretty. Shocked
latest report
Looking in to a monthly pass for June. Does anyone know if there are any booking restrictions for the monthly passes? ie. 2 hours max per session. Or can I stay in the lovely fridge all day, going round and round and round.....?
ski holidays
@Klamm Franzer, I booked the May pass and this is from the confirmation email..
Quote:

Thank you for booking your May Monthly Lift Pass with us. We're looking forward to seeing you on the slope at The Snow Centre. All the details of your booking are below, click on the boxes for more information.

Please pre-book your slope time to avoid disappointment. Your Monthly Lift Pass will be activated in 1 Hour, to book your slope time visit our website, select your Lift Pass and log in to apply your Monthly Pass Discount. You can pre-book a maximum of 2 Hours per day and when you are at The Snow Centre you can add more time subject to availability.

So you can pre-book 1 2hr slot per day, and if there is capacity when you are there you can extend.
snow report
Thanks! What about a snowHead calendar where you could click on a date and time to indicate that you will be at a particular fridge - so that people could meet up (or avoid people Toofy Grin ). This would also allow for the pressing of buttons outside of booking bashes; it's a win win!
snow report
@Klamm Franzer, set up a doodle
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, what's a doodle do?
snow report
Sounds like we need a Fridge Magnet, to draw people together...
snow conditions
@Tubaski, online polling system. You can do it for free in your google account
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, maybe we need a pole rather than a poll?
snow report
@Klamm Franzer:

Another way that's free and snowHeady is to set up a Fred in "Solo Skiers v Groups - Organising Trips"? - In the dim and distant past, I'd posted there myself re Hemel but had forgotten!

I've put my dates down there for May. IMO a Fred per month should be adequate.
Thusly.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155571

For perpetual button clickers, joy may be attenuated and fatigue induced by the effort of having to type a date and a time, and read the Fred a bit, alas. Perhaps a calendar if someone can do the scripts. I suspect there aren't that many people who're both interested enough and diligent enough to subscribe to this idea (or even a button-push calendar, should one come into existence), but it's worth a try, eh? Cool

PS If you actually are interested, I'm not sure but I think you also have to remember to check you've started a 'watch' on that topic under that bit of the forum, else no notification will happen should anybody make a new post there?
latest report
Indoor snow slope fans might be interested in my interview with Hemel MD, Ian Brown, about their recent acquisition of the Chill Factore slope up in Manchester. It's in Episode 72 of The Ski Podcast about 38 mins in:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7858260-72-pat-sharples-swisstainable-chill-factore-touring-in-the-binntal
latest report
@Fat George, Good to meet you yesterday morning. You and many other skiers were very friendly, made me feel at home. Were any other Snowheads there at the time, it would be nice to know. (I was the short, older person with an orange jacket and blue pants)
snow report
Sonic the Skier wrote:
@Fat George, Good to meet you yesterday morning. You and many other skiers were very friendly, made me feel at home. Were any other Snowheads there at the time, it would be nice to know. (I was the short, older person with an orange jacket and blue pants)

There were about 9 of us between 10 and 12!
snow conditions
@Sonic the Skier
Good to meet you too!

Sonic the Skier wrote:
. . . I was the . . . older person . . . .

Wot? Older with reference to whom? Methinks not.

I suspect your ‘Sonic’ moniker is not about hedgehogs; more about your speed?
May I say, stylish skiing, and the gold buckles — pzazz!
(Mmm. Could I paint mine like that perhaps . . . . ?) Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Fat George, Thank you for the complements but as I had my 70th birthday about two weeks ago I’m afraid that most people would regard me as ‘older’, unfortunately. ‘Sonic’ was a nickname I had from when I had short, spiky hair many years ago.
snow conditions
Popped up on my memories today. 3 years ago I was at Hemel having freestyle skiing lessons from two Olympians. Damn that was fun.

My (very nervous skier) won the competition thinking she was going to get some sympathetic basic lessons from Graham Bell or Chemmy, and had to quickly transfer the prize to me by feigning illness, lest she be forced off jumps and into rails Laughing
ski holidays
It was lovely to see so many this morning, even if somewhat fleetingly, while I was being put through my paces by @rob@rar. Apologies for disappearing without saying goodbye - I had an appointment with a very long queue to Sainsbury's fuel station where I was able to fill up, and unexpectedly at 10p less per litre than my local BP garage. Thanks twice over to @rob@rar - for helping me find my ski legs and for the fuel tip snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy