Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which easy skins?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of skis with a Shift binding but no skins. Sales are on, so I’m on the lookout for a bargain.

I have so far only used Colltex Whizz skins, though it looks like these have been superseded (by the Tödi?). I like the super fast on/off and lack of faffing with sheets (they stick to themselves), so should I stick with the same again, or is there something else out there?

These are only for occasional use/quick skin up something nearby – the skis in question are too heavy for proper tours, and I have skis for that anyway, so cheap and easy to use are the criteria rather than extensive durability or use in extreme conditions.

Ta muchly.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Contour Hybrid. Locally made for you - is there a factory outlet?
We’ve got 3 of these. They’re great. Easy, durable. Never bother with a bag or sheets for them on the hill, though I store them in it (with sheets).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Inboard, no idea about an outlet, but yes they are made a few miles away. Widely available though. Do you take the sheets off before you go out and stick them together then? If that’s possible, why do they even have sheets?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, usually we’d set off from the car with them on the skis and if so I’d happy just stick them to themselves and shove in rucksack/ inside jacket for the descent. I also have Contour Hybrids for my ‘off the lifts’ skis - with Shift bindings like you - in which case yes I’d happily have them in my pack with no sheets at start of day. I think the sheets are more for storage - helps prevent glue sticking to itself and deteriorating (keeping them somewhere cool over summer also helps with that).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, Another vote for Contour Hybrid Mix. I don't use cheat sheets for them and store them glue to glue without any problem. Any loss of adhesion can be overcome by cleaning with the wipes supplied. I happen to know Jon at the Piste Office picked a bunch of these up today (@spyderjon), but I'm sure you can source them locally. Not that cheap though - what about eBay?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think sheets make it easier pulling them apart. Probably better for storing over off season too. That said I can't think of the last time I saw anyone using sheets in the backcountry, too much faff just stick them on themselves. Fwiw I just stick my g3s sticky side to sticky side and never had any bother.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1:10 into the vid best technique to take your skin's off and not use cheat sheets, works well in wind!

I don't even have to take pack off if I store skins in my jackets skin pockets.

http://youtube.com/v/6xrwsVy-ctA
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fuzzydunlop wrote:
Not that cheap though - what about eBay?

Good point. Not eBay in these parts, but I’ll hit up the local buy/sell places and see if there’s anything suitable. Skis aren’t huge, so there might be something I can trim down.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boarder2020 wrote:
I think sheets make it easier pulling them apart. Probably better for storing over off season too. That said I can't think of the last time I saw anyone using sheets in the backcountry, too much faff just stick them on themselves. Fwiw I just stick my g3s sticky side to sticky side and never had any bother.

Interesting. The Whizz skins don’t even come with sheets, but there’s no problem pulling them apart. How do you find the G3s?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, boarder2020 Countour Hybrids are designed to be used glue face to glue face: they use a hybrid glue, actually two glues one on top of the other. The Colltex Whizz type can be used glue to glue until you reapply the glue. After which Colltex say you have to use cheat sheets or you will pull the glue layer off the skins. At least this is my understanding ...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was talking to a guide in Fernie who had always used g3s, but for this season was trying black diamond, which he said were already falling apart, so not a recommend.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Interesting. The Whizz skins don’t even come with sheets, but there’s no problem pulling them apart. How do you find the G3s?

Happy enough that I will get another set when these finally die. I can think of a couple of times on very cold days where they've been a little tricky to get apart (probably could have been solved by storing them in jacket rather than bag), but nothing I would consider problematic. I've never tried another brand though so take it with a pinch of salt.

Quote:

@Scarlet, boarder2020 Countour Hybrids are designed to be used glue face to glue face : they use a hybrid glue, actually two glues one on top of the other.

Interesting, but what difference does it make? They pull apart more easily? Or the glue lasts longer?

Honestly, I was a bit surprised to hear it's even a thing. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone using cheat sheets, other than storage over summer (even then a lot don't bother). G3 suggest "we do design the glue, however, to be durable when people fold them glue-to-glue in the field, so there's nothing wrong with doing that". Black diamond say "in the field, store by folding the adhesive side on itself".

Maybe contour have solved a problem that didn't exist.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve got colltex and G3 on different skis and find the colltex hybrid super easy to use. Don’t get stiff and seem to stick to skis and not get snowy. G3 feel bomb proof but heavier and require much more effort to pull apart. I don’t use cheat sheets on the day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to add that the idea to try the second hand sites was a good one. Obviously, beggars can’t be choosers, so I had to be a bit flexible on the model, but I managed to pick up a pair of G3 Glide skins that have only been used a couple of times before the owner trashed the skis. I expected a bit of trimming to be required, but upon receiving them I found that I probably couldn’t have got a better fit if I’d cut them myself! Absolutely perfect and without a load of extra faff! Bargain.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy