Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Covid Testing Returning to UK

Poster: A snowHead
@Hells Bells, hopefully by the time you come out (Summer ?) the rules might be different.

I actually heard last night of someone I know well who left here about 4 weeks ago who had a knock on the door when he was not there, so they are checking!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
colinstone wrote:

Run to Douai was no problem and due to the weekend, we went to the local Douai medical laboratory on Monday morning . Walk in, no charge PCR tests and the results 27 hours later. I don't know if there are PCR charges in other popular destination countries..

Thanks for this its most useful and a great help in planning for next year as sadly I cannot see us being able to travel without extensive testing/quarantine for anther 12 to 18 months. What I was interested in was why Douai? What made that the place to stop and how easy was it to arrange for a test?

The biggest issue I see with travelling in 2021-22 season is organising the necessary tests, especially those that need to be done when in France. Taking a standard Saturday to Saturday week, it would mean having to get tested on the Thursday/Friday. I can't see how resorts will be able to cope especially in peak weeks.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you compare where the UK was in January to today, a lot can change. I'm hoping France will be in a similar place in 4 months when we want to go to Alps.

That said, if it takes a PCR test to smooth things over, even for the 5 of us, then I'm very tempted to say hang the expense we're going
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Qured (UK govt approved) allows you to do a lateral flow test (you get the kit before you go and take it out with you) over a skype call with a nurse, who confirms you've performed the test correctly and validates the result for UK travel purposes.

https://qured.com/returning-to-england/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowdave wrote:
Qured (UK govt approved) allows you to do a lateral flow test (you get the kit before you go and take it out with you) over a skype call with a nurse, who confirms you've performed the test correctly and validates the result for UK travel purposes.

Thanks for that. Do kids also need to do these tests under current rules? Gets very expensive for a family, adding a lot to the cost of a summer holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowdave, that's useful.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, Yep, for me and most families, this will be key I think. Also the risk of a positive test just before return does not fill me with much enthusiasm to open the wallet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Thanks for that. Do kids also need to do these tests under current rules? Gets very expensive for a family, adding a lot to the cost of a summer holiday.

Under 11s are exempt.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't test them, it just saves paying the money for an approved test - personally, I'd take a bunch of the "free" UK test kits (bill included in total £400bn) and use those.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowhound wrote:
@rob@rar, Yep, for me and most families, this will be key I think. Also the risk of a positive test just before return does not fill me with much enthusiasm to open the wallet.

I'd imagine most people will use a free LFT first to check the result...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowdave wrote:
I'd take a bunch of the "free" UK test kits ...
What's the procedure for the general public now for getting hold of those?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Around here - drive to a local test site (ideally 15 mins before opening, as they run out fast) and get 2 boxes (7 tests per box).

There's also a website where you can order 1 box at a time.

IIRC your partner is a teacher - in which case she should be able to get them from her school.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FrediKanoute, What I was interested in was why Douai?...
We have a boat there which needs a safety check every 3 months or so. The 600kg of wet lead acid cells are on solar charging with possibility of drying out and risk of BANG.

@snowdave, perhaps in time the free NHS LFTs will be acceptable for return?? Results from those are reported to the NHS.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowdave wrote:
IIRC your partner is a teacher - in which case she should be able to get them from her school.
Yes, she gets LF kits from school (and I have a supply of PCR test kits which will last three months), so I've not paid much attention to the new testing options. I'm not sure if she is supposed to use the test kits during the summer holiday - I guess she'll be told when we get there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
colinstone wrote:

@snowdave, perhaps in time the free NHS LFTs will be acceptable for return?? Results from those are reported to the NHS.

I hope not- there's strong evidence that a test performed under clinical supervision is materially more accurate than purely self-administered test. Qured's tests are the only LFTs that have shown sufficient sensitivity, but my guess is that most of the cost in this process will be the clinical time (and potentially associated things like insurance) in Qured overseeing it.

Given we're £400bn in the hole already, subsidising holiday testing and reallocating NHS staff to oversee it would IMO be a very bad thing to do.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I see https://qured.com are partnered with Oncologica.

We got Oncologica D2 results on D8 instead of D5.
And one D8 test result on D12 of 10 day Q and are still waiting for 1 D8 result on D20.
Info on result sheets have errors eg sample received before the sample time and date when results issued!!
snow conditions
See that test prices are coming down, Randox, who sponsored the Grand National are leading the way, hope others will follow.

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/firm-cuts-pcr-test-costs-to-60-for-international-travellers

We were planning to travel back next week but will now wait to see if costs come down for the 2 & 8 day tests etc at least we can get the Day 5 release at the lower rate I think?

In fact have just emailed Randox and will be interesting to see what response and how fast it is.

Hi there we're planning to return to the UK from France circa 25 April and see in the media that you are reducing your test costs but only with partner Airlines will you be offering a package with those travelling with Eurotunel.
We will need the Day 2 & 8 test kit plus the 5 day Release PCR test is this something you will be offering

Automated response
If your enquiry is related to COVID-19 you can send an email to our COVID Customer Support Team or call us on: 02894451021

And then click on the email link to COVID Customer Support Team and get a 403 Forbidden as the link is wrong rolling eyes
ski holidays
And can't fault them for a rapid response.

Randox COVID Customer Support commented:

Good afternoon

Thank you for your email.

This is indeed something Randox will be providing in the very near future.

However this will only apply in partnership with certain travel providers.

These 'partners' will be listed on our website very soon.

These are provided by the travel provider after an eligible purchase has been made and can be used to purchase home test kits only and not for in clinic appointments.

Hope this is helpful.

Kind regards

Nial

Customer Support
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Randox, who sponsored the Grand National

Isn't the Jockey Club wonderful.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Go and hang near your nearest secondary school at kicking out time and offer the teenagers leaving a couple fags for their test kits.

Very Happy
ski holidays
Simple.

https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests
snow report
Arrival back in the UK kits for tests, day 2 & 8 are now £99

https://www.testingforall.org/product/day-2-day-8/?mc_cid=6de80da615&mc_eid=7931453106
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier, excellent thanks.

Good to see the prices coming down like this.

Still going to be circa £400* for the two of us if we go for Day 5 release PCR as well, double that for a family of four!

Inc Antigen test in France

The current game plan is to travel back on a Friday, so then Day one of quarantine is Saturday, so maybe over the weekend less chance of getting a knock on the door when taking the dogs out for a quick walk?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 15-04-21 7:48; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
@Hells Bells, hopefully by the time you come out (Summer ?) the rules might be different.

I actually heard last night of someone I know well who left here about 4 weeks ago who had a knock on the door when he was not there, so they are checking!

I hope so, or it just won't be possible. Can't work from home, and don't want to spend what could be valuable skiing time in quarantine at home. I've seen enough of these 4 walls in the last 13 months already.
snow report
Linked with the testing is the support given, or not given, to those isolating.
So people can isolate at home and not return to work.
I wondered why isolators, at home by Govt order, aren't treated the same as fuloughed staff in terms of wage support??
ski holidays
Friends who came back from Spain had a visit from the police making sure they were quarantining (they were) and my wife had a phone call following our return from France in September (but neither I nor my son did).
ski holidays
I had 2 calls from the contact tracers at end March 21. But then PHE didn't renew the contracts. So silence.
snow report
There was a bit in the press this morning how there is a new contract with a private company Mitie to be checking up on quarantine:
https://bmmagazine.co.uk/news/holidaymakers-face-six%E2%80%91hour-queues-for-covid-checks-at-uk-airports-this-summer/
snow report
Quarantining now.
Swiss/French border unmanned so straight through without any checks on PCR or attestations. France deserted so quick drive to Calais. Some checks there by U.K. authorities of the passenger locator and -ve test.
Since return have been called daily by the checkers, “can you confirm you’re quarantining for 10 days“ etc.
Day 2 test worked well, results back that day. Now considering whether to do the day 5 test to release to make it 4 tests in 10 days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gra, useful to know - thanks. We are in Geneva atm. PCR tests at Geneva airport yesterday - very quick and easy, results due within 24 hrs but were in inbox this morning when I woke up (so actual turn around about 16hrs). Leaving GVA tomorrow morning to get evening eurotunnel and home to quarantine.
ski holidays
@gra, can I ask who you used for your 2 & 8 day test kit please?
snow report
Day 1 of quarantine. Drove back from Switzerland yesterday after spending majority of the winter in the 3 Valleys in France. Same experience at borders as @gra, French/UK staff at eurotunnel very pleasant - quick check of tests/locator forms etc......and off we went...no stamps in passport either (are they supposed to be now?). No real queues for train either- straight on scheduled train - all very easy.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, it was Latus, https://www.latus-testtorelease.co.uk/
Price £175 for the package so a little less than most.
latest report
There is a fakebook group about Latus incompetence.
snow report
Day 2 & 8 tests just delivered by courier ...... needed virtual signature/nod to confirm they were delivered. 5 mins later also had 1st quarantine check up phone call.
snow conditions
Couple more points to add.
Daily quarantine check calls continue, started on day 1 at 6pm & getting a little earlier each day. Wife however managed to miss 2 of hers, once when in garden & then the next day when chairing a zoom meeting, so obviously flagged up in the system & we got a visit from Home Office security the next day!
She was not in then, having just gone for her day 5 Test to Release, something which the system is not very clear how to do if you did not plan to do that on the original locator form. Luckily she had done a new locator form confirming the new intention. The staff had no awareness or interest in me, just made a note of what I said about my wife’s status.
Anyway, she is now free (before end of day 5) although still has to do the day 8 test already paid for...
I didn’t pay for the extra test, figuring that if the day 8 arrives & is processed as quickly as the day 2, not really worth it (wife can now get the shopping Eh oh! ). However if delayed like the OP then I might not be so happy!
ski holidays
@colinstone, no complaints from me so far...
ski holidays
@colinstone, no complaints from me so far...
latest report
Just been looking at the all-important factor when considering quarantine as some friends said yesterday that limits as to what you can now bring back into the UK are like the old days.

But just Googled it and good to see, beer - 42 litres and wine - 18 litres so that should be enough Laughing
snow report
@Weathercam, Not a problem for foot passengers, It was always more than you could carry, so no need to worry about the limits.

Even if driving, the allowance takes up a fair bit of space in most vehicles. If 2x allowance for 2 passengers, you would be hard pushed to be too much over the limit by the time you get your luggage in.
snow conditions
@brianatab, VW Transporter Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy