Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Covid Testing Returning to UK

Poster: A snowHead
Mr.Egg wrote:
stanton wrote:
Brits need to think again before travelling to the EU.......

The entry gates may soon be closed unless you can afford to go into Quarantine ...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Delta cases rocketing across europe
weeks behind the UK in jabbing. Streets of mainland europe not safe for anyone not doubled jabbed.

Isn't it the other way around in terms of infections. Cases are rocketing here compared to Europe?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 24-06-21 22:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cases down from 180 per 100k here to single digit per 100k here in Germany, roughly in line with the midsummer low last year.

the fact that Merkel is speaking suggests to me that there has been a sudden spike in delta+ that is not apparent in the RKI numbers in the German media each day

the neighbouring district reported 100% delta+ the other day, but then it was a total of 1 new positive case. thought I saw something about 30% delta the other day, so that horse has bolted. and that's despite Germany red-listing certain nations promptly, while UK gave them all a few days grace to bring it home (and quite possibly a shed load having to take flights via Frankfurt cos all the Heathrow direct flights were rammed)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 24-06-21 19:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yup and Frau Merkel suggesting we should all be banned from entering The EU yet again. Mr P and I double jabbed and planning to head to France on Sunday 4th July for 2 weeks in our own mountain pad. Driving via Eurotunnel. Pre departure PCR tests booked at Gatwick drive through (we live 15 mins away-handy!) for £60 each on Thursday morning.
Now fearing the worst-that Macron will decide we're all too risky to enter France despite all of the above...
We are both feeling pretty desperate just to switch off, which is impossible at home. Arrgghhhh!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr.Egg wrote:
Delta cases rocketing across europe
weeks behind the UK in jabbing. Streets of mainland europe not safe for anyone not doubled jabbed.

What you on about? There’s very little corona in Central Europe at all, of any variant. The streets, being outside in 30 degree heat and a stiff breeze, are incredibly safe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Perty, and meanwhile the numbers from PHE are incredibly good in terms of vaccine effectiveness vs seriousnesses...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy wrote:

the fact that Merkel is speaking suggests to me that there has been a sudden spike in delta+ that is not apparent in the RKI numbers in the German media each day

I think she is - rightly - concerned about Delta across mainland Europe.

It seems much more easily transmitted - anecdotal or not, I am aware of 2 groups of guys who went to London for the football and all came back and now have Covid. Now they may have caught this in Edinburgh before going, bit it all seems a wee bit coincidental?

The largest rise in infection in Scotland is in 20-44yo males - they are currently not linking it to going to the pub watching football or London, but...............I think there is a bit of a link there.

On the flipside, although we have "rocketing" infection numbers (partially based on record breaking testing - including double counting if you do a LFT and PCR test) the people being hospitalised are younger, spending less time there, being less ill and there are fewer deaths.

This is because of the vaccination programme in the UK which is going really well and protecting the vulnerable.

Mainland Europe does not, however, have the vaccinated numbers we have here (although Germany doing well) and if Delta takes hold - which sadly I suspect it will - then it could be really difficult for some countries.

So, while some (idiot) brits and media might whinge about not being allowed to go on holiday - I think long term it is 100% the correct strategy by Merkel.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GreenDay, did you see the images of Leicester Square? I was also travelling (masked) on the tube, several Scottish football fans got onto my carriage, very few bothering to wear masks. Seems a bit harsh to blame London and Londoners for the infections when the high risk behaviour was overwhelmingly among the visiting fans.

In this context it also seems a bit odd to call people idiots when they are largely vaccinated, behaving safely and happy to comply with masking and testing to get away to Europe to see family or have a holiday.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skimum1 wrote:
@GreenDay, did you see the images of Leicester Square? I was also travelling (masked) on the tube, several Scottish football fans got onto my carriage, very few bothering to wear masks. Seems a bit harsh to blame London and Londoners for the infections when the high risk behaviour was overwhelmingly among the visiting fans.

In this context it also seems a bit odd to call people idiots when they are largely vaccinated, behaving safely and happy to comply with masking and testing to get away to Europe to see family or have a holiday.

Just for clarity - I was not blaming London or Londoners, more making the point that people who travelled to London for a huge wee wee up have come back infected. There are umpteen places and situations they could have caught it - but catch it they did.

There is a reason that I and my friends decided against the trip.

As for your second point - the idiocy imv is people crying about how awful it is that they cant get to the seaside while not considering the implications on their host countries / populations.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ster wrote:

Isn't it the other way around in terms of infections. Cases are rocketing here compared to Europe?

Delta has a firm hold in the SW of France now. A 4th wave is expected in September/October. With only 44% of nursing home residents vaccinated and a large number of nursing staff in hospitals not vaccinated the govt will have to make a choice on compelling people. Only 200K vaccinations yesterday and the programme is stalling. The PM has been on TV appealing for volunteers.

Talk now of charging for PCR tests to force more people to get vaccinated.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GreenDay wrote:

So, while some (idiot) brits and media might whinge about not being allowed to go on holiday - I think long term it is 100% the correct strategy by Merkel.

It may be the correct strategy but it is pretty disheartening - if being double jabbed AND doing a pre departure test is insufficient to be allowed to travel relatively freely to nearby countries then there is a question of when will it ever be enough. No-one has really talked about eradication of Covid and mutation is constant and our government seemingly less than competent when it comes to the right decisions at the right time and/or dealing with communities within the country.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I get what you are saying, but my guess is it will be relatively temporary.

Its only in order that Delta doesnt go crazy in the mainland - will only be until europe gets its vaccinations in order.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That, and the fact that German research is showing that the herd immunity level is around 85% for delta, which means getting a shed load of jabs in to those aged 12-18 too. 85% is not % of adults, but % of population.

Also it's not Boris that decides who's allowed where. Double jabbed means bog all. UK seems to be 72 hours for PCR, but Germany wants proof of test no older than 24 hours for entry in to various places depending on the current level. If it goes back up here to levels from a few weeks ago, then if you want to go in to a shop other than a supermarket or pharmacy, then you have to show proof of negative test. A proper paid for one, not a self test. You really want to do that when on holiday? That would be 7 daily tests each just to be allowed somewhere to dine. **** knows what one would do if it comes up +ve. Starve?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GreenDay, I hope so but we have had only temporary up til last summer, til Xmas , til April, til June, til July and still no true end in sight. Countries with decent healthcare and vax progress are going to have to bite the bullet at some point. Inability of politcians to do that now worries me more than the virus itself because until then the bills keep rising......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy wrote:
That, and the fact that German research is showing that the herd immunity level is around 85% for delta, which means getting a shed load of jabs in to those aged 12-18 too. 85% is not % of adults, but % of population.

Also it's not Boris that decides who's allowed where. Double jabbed means bog all. UK seems to be 72 hours for PCR, but Germany wants proof of test no older than 24 hours for entry in to various places depending on the current level. If it goes back up here to levels from a few weeks ago, then if you want to go in to a shop other than a supermarket or pharmacy, then you have to show proof of negative test. A proper paid for one, not a self test. You really want to do that when on holiday? That would be 7 daily tests each just to be allowed somewhere to dine. **** knows what one would do if it comes up +ve. Starve?

But if we are going by those herd immunity stats then very few countries will ever get there. Holdouts and miss outs and overprotected kids will be enough to ensure that. If there is any intent to open up then everyone has to get a bit more relaxed about absolute currency of test - reality is for the majority of people who test negative then 3 days later they are likely to still be negative. except for UK govt ministers who've probably had 3 days of tonsil hockey and knobbing the staff in the interim.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy wrote:
UK seems to be 72 hours for PCR

Think thats what they say - but we got my son done yesterday afternoon (close contact of schoolmate who tested +) and the guy at our local - incredibly efficient - test centre told us that we would get the email today........in fact he said that it was only because they were doing a record breaking number of tests at the moment that it wouldnt be last night !!

Surprised Germany is charging for PCR tests, they are free here - my son booked online outside the centre and walked in.
latest report
It's one free test per week for residents (the cheap/quick test), and €20 for any more official ones that you need, with proper evidence/proof. €60 for the fancy test.
Any one who's not resident, pays. But there are shed loads of walk-in places now.

We get free self test at work but that has no legal status, unless its done by a registered nurse and registered as an official test.
snow report
andy wrote:
Double jabbed means bog all. UK seems to be 72 hours for PCR, but Germany wants proof of test no older than 24 hours for entry in to various places depending on the current level. If it goes back up here to levels from a few weeks ago, then if you want to go in to a shop other than a supermarket or pharmacy, then you have to show proof of negative test. A proper paid for one, not a self test. You really want to do that when on holiday? That would be 7 daily tests each just to be allowed somewhere to dine. **** knows what one would do if it comes up +ve. Starve?

Interesting to hear that, that’s quite a lot stricter than Austria. Here, you can only get a free PCR if you’re a suspected case or K1 contact, but antigen tests are free, not too hard to find especially in cities, and valid for 48hrs. 22 days after your first jab, you become exempt from access tests, so I think antigen testing is starting to be scaled back due to lower demand as people get vaccinated. Tests are not required to go to the shops, either, only restaurants, hairdressers, events etc. They are also free for tourists.
ski holidays
The vaccine walk ins for this weekend. One doctors surgery on Teesside rolling eyes
snow conditions
midgetbiker wrote:
So we've got 3 weeks in Spain booked for 2 weeks time, to sort out the recently widowed MinLaw (setting aside all the 70's jokes, not my fave person, but I would NOT have wished her mid pandemic experience on anyone).

Then in 8 weeks it's 2 weeks in Chx (to see what mess the flood in the apartment, and subsequent trades, have left us).

I have literally NO idea of what the requirements are, or what the costs will be. I figure there is zero point in doing any research until at least tomorrow, as so much might change this afternoon.

Fingers crossed, as myself and the OH have been double jabbed for a while (as we both interface professionally with the highly vulnerable, so were in the second priority tranche) and the (not so) little 'un is still only 15.

Potentially it will all be plain sailing, or............................

So far not plain sailing:
6no flights cancelled by Jet2
rebook 6no flights with Jet2 at later dates
Today - 6no flights cancelled by Jet2
Book 15no flights with Ryanair, accept that between 9no and 15no of them will not get used.
So plenty of options now, just have to see how things progress over the next 10-20days.

Still, those 15no flights with Ryanair only cost £57.67 for the lot!

Estimated cost for testing if 3no of us do manage to fly to Spain and back (using today's regime, and best available prices) circa £500.
Could get more expensive, could become impractical with isolation. We'll see.
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, BA is currently operating only 1 flight a day London/Geneva, vs c. 10-20 previously. Everything I've booked has been cancelled/moved to another flight.

Hopefully when there's some clearer rules around travel, the schedules will improve again. I'm not accepting any of my flight changes, so that I can move them again if the schedules expand.
snow conditions
France to start charging tourists for Covid tests next Wednesday..........
snow conditions
Can anyone let me know an NHS antigen test result is okay for going into France (already double-vaccinated)?
snow report
@iainm, no, you need a Fit to Travel certificate with it. You have no proof with an NHS test. This company can do one for you, and is the most reasonable I have found. https://qured.com/health-travel-pass/#our-rapid-antigen-fit-to-fly-test
snow conditions
KenX wrote:

Any idea how much?
snow conditions
@iainm, @Hells Bells, also have you checked your vaccination type and number as some batches are not being recognised by france and ema because they were made in india under license.....
snow report
Yes, I checked that this morning! Okay on that score. Looking at that fit-to-fly now. Might be quicker/easier to go to a local pharmacy
snow report
"All AstraZeneca vaccines given in the UK are the same product and appear on the NHS Covid Pass as Vaxzevria," the Department for Health says. according to the BBC
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
KenX wrote:

Any idea how much?

I think a PCR is €49 and Antigen €29.

I took a Qured test when we were in Portugal last month and it was straight forward, the fit to fly certificate was emailed within an hour. With the BA discount code it was £33.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
muppet wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
KenX wrote:

Any idea how much?

I think a PCR is €49 and Antigen €29.

I took a Qured test when we were in Portugal last month and it was straight forward, the fit to fly certificate was emailed within an hour. With the BA discount code it was £33.

Was that for flying out to Portugal, or returning to UK?

And would you share that BA code on PM?
latest report
@ajc2260626, I had Pfizer vaccine
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, It was for returning back to the UK.

We’ve also used for departing UK testing in the past 6 weeks
Collinson at Manchester Airport - excellent - test approx 1300 - results at 2300 same day
Glasgow Airport PCR Drive Through - excellent - test at 0945 - results at 2230 same day
Express Test PCR Edinburgh Airport - excellent - test 1800 - results at 1500 the next day

City Doc postal kit - ordered at 2230 on a Monday but didn’t arrive until the Friday - avoid (This was in December and luckily the trip was cancelled as they wouldn’t have got back to the lab in time )

We took the Qured tests to Portugal with us and they arrived prior to departure when expected via DPD so had a 1hr delivery slot. I would use them again when we go back to Val d’Isere next month as I’m not sure how the local Pharmacy adds passport details and the cost is similar.

Hopefully this link will work to the BA discount page
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/covid19-tests#suppliertable
snow report
@muppet, that link worked thx, 3 return to UK LF Antigen tests booked and on way to get us back (might not need them by the time we come back, but hey ho).

A PCR for a minor going out was a nightmare. Arriving in Spain at 00.25 on a Tuesday, so the window for testing starts at 00.30 on a Sunday morning, BUT we need the results by 6pm Monday at the very latest. Most centres are promising results in 48hrs, the express ones by say 8pm the following day, even without a weekend factor. None of that is any good due to Ryanair's flight times, but at least they are flying, as opposed to Jet2. Had to find a relatively local on site test centre that will commit to a 24hr turnaround even on a Sunday. Not easy, but hopefully done.

Not going to book day 2/8 PCR's for return until I have to in case they are redundant by then, fingers crossed.
ski holidays
@muppet, thx again, that link worked once more to book 3x day2 tests for our return from Spain.

Now fingers crossed that France comes off the 'Amber, but a Little Bit Red' list before mid August!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy