Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ViewRanger vs OutdoorActive mapping

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I used ViewRanger last season for a while last season but we could never get the find a friend bit to work. Turns out ViewRanger has been bought out by Outdoor Active and im wondering if anyone has any experience with that app. How does it work for you, how does the find a buddy work, etc...

Fairly handy when trying to get two or three groups to meet up for lunch Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've no experience of it myself, but a few friends in the hiking community seem to think its not an improvement on the viewranger app.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skimottaret, I have been using viewranger for a number of years now and really like it. I have downloaded quite a lot of OS maps at 1:50,000 and 1:25,000, the Vanoise and a fair bit of the rest of the aples at 1:25,000 and a lot of the Dolomites at 1:50,000 scale (oddly still considered as part of Austria) and use it extensively for walking. Since I do little off piste skiing I don't use mapping apps as a rule while skiing. TBH I never knew there was a "find a friend" component. It is not a function I would find the slighest use for.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skimottaret, I used Viewranger out in Austria for hiking I bought the local maps and found it OK to use the mapping was very good, used the Outdooractive and it seems OK but they have given me a 3 months trial of the app because of teh loss of my maps, my go hiking app is Komoot, I find it easy to plan a route on a pc or laptop and the app works fine, I did by the worldwide maps, you don't get OS for the UK, teh guidance is good and when planning it uses recognised paths through fields and forest.

I haven't used find a buddy.

As you are in Essex check out Rambling Essex on Facebook
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys, I just had the freebie version of VR which seemed fine , looks like the subscription version of OA has IGN and OS maps plus Austria etc...

When we run multiple groups it is handy to be able to see where the others are. Pain constantly ringing or texting and interrupting instructors.. I see that WhattsApp allows you to share location so may just give that a try in future..

Although no substitute for proper maps the VR app worked very well doing limited touring and back country stuff and was useful to give routes taken to clients as a little momento
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skimottaret, would skitracks be an option, it has a map of the route, not much info but you can export it as a gpx file then load it into any walking app.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy