Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for gal with large calves

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First post, please be kind! I’m athletic but unfortunately inherited large calf syndrome! I’m looking for advice from anyone who has 17inch or larger calves that has found a comfortable ski sock. Unfortunately I‘ve recently bought several pairs that are not stretching enough and not long enough and cause my legs to ache while skiing due to the compression. I’m also trying to buy my own boots due to my calf issues so if anyone with generous calves could share a boot that works well for them I’d love some guidance ( hubby is getting me a pair for my bday).
Thanks everyone!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads! In terms of the boots, you really need to go too a decent boot fitter. If you let us know where you're based you should get some recommendations.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In in Florida near Orlando , but visiting relatives in Monument CO this summer
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't feel you must be limited to "ski socks", which are tight and not stretchy by design, so they don't bunch up. Try some hiking socks, which will stretch more yet possibly not bunch up for you since you'll fill 'em up. Getting your own boots will be a major upgrade; this is the most important piece of equipment. Consider getting the socks as part of the boot fitting, so they play well together. You are very unlikely to find the right selection of boots and a good boot fitter in the summer, however. This might be happening on day one of your next ski trip, which is fine.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so much!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try compression socks - these should be available in a bunch of sizes due to the medical applications and are very stretchy if somewhat of a pain to get on.

I guess you might ask on a US based forum if there are any recommended bootfitters around Co Springs but if you'll be travelling up into the mountains probably better making an appointment somewhere like Frisco or Breck. And I'm guessing appt esssentially as I doubt even goot bootfitters will be in every day as it's more bike season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your best bet is REI on line. I say that because of their 1 year return policy and you can return them at the winter park store. Call up any ski store anywhere and ask them your question. Or call up a REI store in ski country and ask them. Order the boots. If they are a no-go return them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did anyone else think this was a livestock thread? Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gordyjh wrote:
Did anyone else think this was a livestock thread? Embarassed

The 'Advice for a chap with an enormous cock' thread should definitely move to the 'Poultry' section. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For socks, Mons Royale are quite stretchy compared to my others, but don't know if they'll work for 17" (I'm 14.5").

For boots, it's the height of the boot and the flare of the cuff that will affect your comfort around the calf. Women's specific boots are usually shorter than the men's equivalent to allow for the calf being lower, so you'll want to look at these. Otherwise, it's still the fit around the foot that is most important, and as long as the boot height/flare is okay, a decent bootfitter will be able to make adjustments for your leg. Unfortunately, it's really hard to pick out the correct boot online, so you need to find someone who can help you, but also has suitable boots in stock. This may mean waiting until the beginning of the next season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rolling eyes @Klamm Franzer,
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy