Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short break near Geneva Jan 2022 - any advice welcome !

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a short break with some friends Jan 2022.

Any advice would be welcome.

Probably fly out Friday 21st and fly back Tues 25th. Manchester to Geneva with Easy Jet is looking the best option (we are Sheffield based so needs to be Manchester or East Midlands really) .
Lots of flight times to Geneva (and they fly every day so plenty of flexibility unlike say Turin).

Bunch of late 40's / early 50's chaps.
Keen skiers but likely leaning more towards some long cruising with a good lunch rather than anything off piste / too gnarly.

Some apres may well be on the cards but not entirely sure we need dancing on the tables until the wee small hours.

Looking for a short transfer , accommodation suited for a short break rather than usual Sat-Sat.
Ideally ski in out ish.
Happy with hotel , B&B or self catering. But Hotel / B&B might be preference .

Shortlist is La Clusaz , Avoriaz , Megeve (or perhaps St Gervais to connect in) , Grand Massif (Flaine or Les Carroz) ...

Any thoughts ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No one will be surprised if I suggest Verbier.

You can easily get there by train from inside GVA. Nice not to have all the care hire hassle. And the train means you can handle someone being late if they are delayed on a parallel flight (no hanging-around). See the SBB integrated timetable and enter from 'Genève-Aéroport' to 'Verbier (télécabine)' as the route. Which usually means changing at Martigny to the local train for the short hop to Le Chable, then transfer 50m to the gondola up to Verbier, or the PostBus if it's after hours.

If car hire is more cost-effective/convenient, then the Geneva Airport Car Hire Pages are a good place to start to get a baseline costs/vehicles on offer (they sometimes have rates/offers not shown on the generic UK ~.com pages).

The Swiss Tourist Office site at MySwitzerland.com is also worth taking a look at, and they usually have some offers available. The SBB site above also will sometimes have combined rail-hotel-skipass offers as well.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 18-03-21 9:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

No one will be surprised if I suggest Verbier.

I was going to suggest Verbier but it's not really in the "leaning more towards some long cruising with a good lunch rather than anything off piste / too gnarly."

PdS might be the best bet
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@halfhand, yep, I love Verbier, but if " leaning more towards some long cruising with a good lunch rather than anything off piste / too gnarly" is prime criteria, Avoriaz for ski in-out (if accom available) is prime response.

Grand Massif not (IMHO) grand enough (although it is just long weekend) and I don't reckon the average restaurant quality is as high (nor are there as many to choose from). Avoriaz itself might disappoint however, from an evening pov. (Haven't had an evening up there since 1991...)

I don't think La Clusaz big enough either. But haven't been there since 1986. Megeve will have the restaurants, but €€€, no?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suppose it's a matter of interpretation - the 'Keen skiers but likely leaning more towards some long cruising with a good lunch rather than anything off piste / too gnarly.' pretty much describes me. No way I'd go off-piste and I generally prefer 'mainstream' Reds and Blues. Trouble is, it's always hard to make comparisons of ability on the basis of terms like 'intermediate' or 'keen, but ..' etc.

The Verbier-Savoleyres-Tortin sectors don't have a lot of blacks. Yes, you need to be OK on reds, and give Chassoure a miss, but otherwise the main Verbier runs, Savoleyres and Tortin/Siviez/Plan du Feu/Combatseline aren't challenging for an Intermediate. Quite a few of the steeper reds have 'by-pass' offshoots (like the steep red below the Col des Gentianes en route to the Cabin du Mt. Fort) that make them more accessible to a less able (or just a a bit tired) intermediate. Ditto the steeper bits from Attelas to Ruinettes. Like anywhere, it might help to have a guide for a day to make the most out of the time available and help avoid mistakes. Personally, I've found some of the runs I've done on the Grand Massif harder than the 4 Vallées, although a lot is always dependent on weather and snow conditions. And I think that because Verbier has so much off-piste, freeride, touring options, you get the impression it's only for heli-ski off-piste adrenalin-junkies, which isn't fair.

To be honest, I deliberately avoided lobbying for one of the Satellites like our own La Tzoumaz, or Nendaz or Veysonnaz because keen skiers might prefer to be based in Verbier if they've not got much time to explore. But if you wanted easier slopes, with 50:50 Blues to Reds, then they might suit better.

The other point to make is that given the uncertainties, as I've said elsewhere, it might be better to opt for self-catering next season. If you want to avoid cooking, there are plenty of pre-order outfits in most bigger resorts who will drop off decent meals.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 18-03-21 9:18; edited 8 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
purely on your Apres requirement I would rule out St Gervais, lots of resturants but only 3/4 bars & no boom, boom music. it does have a Folle Douce up the hill for during the day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can ski Verbier or La Tzoumaz without having to do the itineraries and you can always download if you want to go over that way (Siviez). Nendaz is definitely better if you can ski the itineraries though, in order to get back into the Siviez sector and then back to Nendaz (unless you take the bus, sod that).

PdS would be better though I'd guess, never actually skied it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Portes du Soleil would work fine - but I'd probably swap out Avoriaz for Morzine.

Plenty of regular, good value shared transfers to/from Geneva (~€60 return each) if you can't be bothered with the hire car faff. If you're all good skiers getting from Morzine to either the Avoriaz or Morzine/Les Gets areas is trivial - and the combination of size and competition means more and better restaurant and bar options.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Left field option for PDS is Champery. You can get there by train from GVA. Cable car puts you right in the heart of the Swiss side. No idea about accommodation or Apres.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mjit, depends how important your ski in out is
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went to Avoriaz before Xmas a few years back for a weekend, not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised with it all. Skiing was good and AV works much better for skiing than Morzine. Apres, there were a few bars and restaurants and they were all fine really. Only being there for a few days meant that we didn't exhaust all the options.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:

Have to say my brain filtered that out reading the OP's post Smile

Avoriaz will give you ski in/out and apres bars/restaurants that are, to quote Klamm Franzer, "fine".
The best Morzine will give you for a short break is the potential for "no buses/a short walk in boots/kit stored at the hire shop/a not excessive walk home" in/out but balanced with "good" apres bars/restaurants (regardless of what your idea of "good apres" is).

Then between those two just a question of what's more important to the OP/their group.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As it's a short break consider a fact finding mission. Look at places that rarely get a mention on Snowheads. Villar, Les diablerets, Gstaad, Shönreid.
Yes I know, expensive Switzerland but there is some beautiful skiing in very pretty country.
Major plus point all accessible from Geneva by train.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:

Ski in / out to door is not essential but what I think I probably meant is no real need for a bus and an "easy" walk to lift - no more than say 200 metres...

Verbier looks a great place for a longer trip maybe - not sure we can be bothered with the faff of a train or a longer transfer by road. Plus likely to be expensive to eat / drink?
And a big area to even scratch the surface in 3 days?

Currently leaning towards Megeve, but a bit earlier in Jan as we can get a keenly priced self catered apartment for 3 nights with Stanford ski - they also do a shuttle from Sallanches to the property so we can use the Alpybus service from geneva - sallanches which is quite regular and cheap.

Out on a Sunday , ski Monday , Tues and Weds and late flight back Weds evening .
The short transfer allows us to ski longer on the Wednesday to come home.
And Stanford will let us leave bags in apartment and use the shower to change before we leave.

Looks like enough skiing to occupy us for three days? 3 Sectors - do the Mont Joly and Le Jaillet areas on Monday and Tuesday (as they look the larger of the three).
Do Rochebrune to Cote 2000 on the Weds and finish a little earlier.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sheffskibod, Megeve has lots of cruising runs but doesn't match your requirement of not needing to use a bus. You might be walking distance from a lift to get into one area but not all of them. It does have a big supermarket as well as several smaller ones so good for self-catering, the big supermarket isn't open on Sunday PM.
ski holidays
@sheffskibod Are you all carrying equipment with you i.e. skis and boots? In which case I can appreciate that you'll probably want to hire a car.
Also, how many are in the group? Are you all on the same flight, or will some of you be travelling on other flights?
And within the group, how wide is the range in capability, would you say? e.g. someone only just graduating from being a novice, through to a another who does freeride on their own?
Are people happy to share a room with 2 bunk beds or do you all want single occupancy?
And for eating out, do you have a rough budget cost/head limit?

It's just that the more info we have, the more relevant the advice can be.
latest report
rjs wrote:
@sheffskibod, Megeve has lots of cruising runs but doesn't match your requirement of not needing to use a bus. You might be walking distance from a lift to get into one area but not all of them. It does have a big supermarket as well as several smaller ones so good for self-catering, the big supermarket isn't open on Sunday PM.

The apartment we have our eye on is almost next to the Rochebrune lift so that gets us into that area and also over to Mont Joly area via the Rocharbois lift ?

I appreciate Le Jaillet area is across town though...

Think we will eat out each night so only need a little shop for breakfast etc.
snow report
LaForet wrote:
@sheffskibod Are you all carrying equipment with you i.e. skis and boots? In which case I can appreciate that you'll probably want to hire a car.
Also, how many are in the group? Are you all on the same flight, or will some of you be travelling on other flights?
And within the group, how wide is the range in capability, would you say? e.g. someone only just graduating from being a novice, through to a another who does freeride on their own?
Are people happy to share a room with 2 bunk beds or do you all want single occupancy?
And for eating out, do you have a rough budget cost/head limit?

It's just that the more info we have, the more relevant the advice can be.

All from Sheffield so all on same flight and transfer.
Hoping to be 5 of us.
I think everyone apart from me needs boot and ski hire. I have own boots which I will take (and skis but not decided if worth taking yet).
I have assumed we will share rooms to keep cost down and its only for 3 nights.
As an e.g. the apartment we have looked at has 2 x twin rooms and a sofa bed in lounge.
Ski standard across group I am unsure (we are all friends but not skied together). No beginners or absolute novices.
Eating and drinking budget lets say £200 total. 3 dinners and 3 lunches plus bits for breakfasts and beer...
snow conditions
I can't see why you would need to go on a bus unless you're really set on skiing Combolox .
I would move cotes2000 up your agenda you do don't want to be leaving that gem until your last day. You've also missed the complete saint Nicolas area, it's just past the folle douce
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
I can't see why you would need to go on a bus unless you're really set on skiing Combolox .
I would move cotes2000 up your agenda you do don't want to be leaving that gem until your last day. You've also missed the complete saint Nicolas area, it's just past the folle douce

Sorry I had lumped st Nicolas in with the Mont Joly bit but are you saying that is more like 2 days worth of exploring ?

So better to do day one on that side , day 2 on cote 2000 and last (slightly shorter day) back on mont joly side and just miss out combloux side?
latest report
@sheffskibod, I think Megeve would be a great choice.

It has a reputation of being glitzy and very expensive. There’s definitely plenty of that if anyone wants it. But also, with research and local word of mouth, it’s perfectly doable on a sensible budget.

The free bus around the different lift bases is frequent enough to not be a problem.
latest report
sheffskibod wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

Sorry I had lumped st Nicolas in with the Mont Joly bit but are you saying that is more like 2 days worth of exploring ?

So better to do day one on that side , day 2 on cote 2000 and last (slightly shorter day) back on mont joly side and just miss out combloux side?

Yes I would say there is more than enough skiing with wasting an hour on buses
snow conditions
But if you change your transfer plans and have cars instead, then there is a call to be made on havinge a day up in Les Contamines
ski holidays
@Jonny996, @PeakyB, and other Evasion regulars, I do really need to spend more time over there, just, for, like, curiousity Happy
snow report
@under a new name, our apartment is about 500 meters from one of the Les Houche runs & I've never skied there! I was going to get the TMB up this year but that never happened
latest report
@under a new name, I’m not anywhere near regular enough in EMB. First went around 1991 but only had a full week in Megeve about half a dozen times since then.

Visited there for odd days from Chamonix valley a few times. It really is an area I love for scenery and overall ambience. For a long weekend of interesting but nothing too scary cruising it’s very good. Don’t expect the most modern quickest lift system...but just relax and take in those views for a couple of minutes longer.

Aahhhhh. snowHead
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
@under a new name, our apartment is about 500 meters from one of the Les Houche runs & I've never skied there! I was going to get the TMB up this year but that never happened

That's 500m vertical I think! And while steep (we have walked up in the summer) it isn't 45 degrees so probably rather further horizontally. We tried it via the TMB last winter, probably just before meeting you, and had a pleasant day though warmish conditions meant that particular run which is fairly west-facing wasn't open.

@sheffskibod, while Jonny has discounted it you may find St Gervais as appealing as Megeve if you aren't planning to cross over to Le Jaillet/Combloux. I am sure there are apartments to rent, and at least one hotel, within 200m from the main gondola up. You are then slightly out of the town centre but less than 10 min walk. Skiing down to that point is possible if conditions are sufficiently cold (they have snowmaking) but I think you can alternatively stay at hotels at the top of the gondola provided you accept that they will also be your restaurants/bars.

I don't think you would have problems finding 2 days worth of skiing on the section between St Gervais and Megeve, including St Nicolas and Princesse. And Rochebrune-Cote 2000 is a full day and easy enough from St Gervais via Rocharbois. Should you want though, the Le Jaillet lift to the Combloux sector (you wouldn't be able to explore that all in a day and enjoy lunch) is not that hard to access via the shuttle bus.

For lunch on the slopes, prices seem to increase exponentially as you get closer to Megeve. The St Gervais side of the ridge has some excellent places at reasonable prices. No ideas about evenings in Megeve but judging by the clientele you might find yourself confined to the odd pizza place. St Gervais has decent places at reasonable prices by Sheffield standards - the few that look pricey (though we haven't tried them all) easily have the quality to justify that. Drinking, well as Jonny says there are a couple of pub-style bars of which La Grange seems to be everyone's pick, but the Pur Bar has a more trendy ambience and hosts bands sometimes.
ski holidays
@Jonny996,
Quote:

But if you change your transfer plans and have cars instead, then there is a call to be made on havinge a day up in Les Contamines

My opinion, FWIW. Only had 1 day at Les Contamines, about 5 years ago, and enjoyed it. I’d go back for another day as an add on to a week in the lift connected part of EMB.

I wouldn’t bother with it on a 3 day weekend trip, unless snow conditions in Les C were appreciably better. In poorer snow seasons Cote 2000 and Les Contamines are your friends.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went to Morzine for 3 full days a year ago, just before Christmas (had a work meeting in Geneva). Skiidy Gonzales bus from Geneva airport, Hotel Igloo in the centre of town was basic but perfectly acceptable, hire skis from the shop right next to the lift and use their storage at night so no walking back to hotel with skis and stiff boots. As it was early and not great snow lower down for two days I walked to SuperMorzine lift and up to Avoriaz, then on the third day I carried skis to Pleney lift and up to Morzine/Les Gets. Morzine enough of a town to wander round in the evening. No problems with the non Sat-Sat format, only that it was so early in the season/ heavy weather (at least one day of cloud in Avoriaz) that several lifts were still closed.
latest report
Verbier will for sure be a longer transfer and more expensive but more snow sure in Jan and lots of skiing variety including cruises options in Savoleyres / La Tzoumaz / Nendaz etc to complement the Verbier more challenging skiing, especially attractive if conditions are good. Quality lunches on nice covered terraces at Dahu, Chez Dany etc would fit the bill. Après if it ever starts again at the pub / Farinet Lounge / Vinabagnes etc would also fit. Nice range of restaurants for dinner too both traditional and Cosmopolitan. Rent a locker at the Medran consignes for heated boots in the morning and no need for walking in ski boots.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy