Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3v to verbier

Poster: A snowHead
Dreaming/scheming options for next season. Whats the best/options/tips for driving from 3v to verbier.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 28-03-21 17:50; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@WASHOUT, What is the weather forecast ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will be late December approx 18th so no mountain passes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@WASHOUT, If you don't want to use any mountain passes then just go to Geneva and drive around the lake.

The cols des Montets and Forclaz are normally fine during the winter. I would probably go through the Val d'Arly and see whether they are open, there is a sign in Megeve that gives the status. If closed then just take the autoroute to Geneva.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely Albertville - Chamonix - Martigny unless the Forclaz Pass is closed?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
denfinella wrote:
Surely Albertville - Chamonix - Martigny unless the Forclaz Pass is closed?
Forclaz will be open, low possibility the Montets will be closed, but you will know when you set off - detour at Ugine, via annecy and round the Lake (Geneva) is fastest.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, I suspect that you'd end up going back to Geneva Airport and then 'round Lake Geneva to Martigny-Le Chable-Verbier. ViaMichelin says it's 4 hours.

The direct route is of course via Chamonix but you'd have to get over the Col des Montets and the Forclaz pass. That route can be closed due to both avalanches and rock falls as well as the usual snow. You'd want you car to have full winter tyres and obviously, be carrying chains. No way I'd want to do it on summer tyres.

If you don't have parking at the accommodation, then you'd might consider parking down at the Le Chable combined station/gondola/parking complex, then hopping on the télécabine/PostBus to get into central Verbier, as public parking there can be pricey and limited.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mountain passes is ok i just wouldn't want to be the idiot following Google maps up the road that closed during the winter. Will be driving with winter tyres and chains in the boot.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Planning on the PSB then using up my free lift passes for 3v & 4v and driving home on Xmas eve.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And remember your vignette
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can you buy the vignette online before driving out?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WASHOUT wrote:

You don’t need the Vignette if you drive via Chamonix (nicer drive IMO). And easy to pick up at GVA border if you come via that route. Fit in an early season Vallée Blanche en Route!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WASHOUT wrote:

I've bought online from tolltickets.com several times...
https://www.tolltickets.com/en/country/products?doing_wp_cron=1616819932.0592200756072998046875
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do i need a vignette for driving home to the UK from verbier?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WASHOUT wrote:

Depends on what route you choose, you could just go back to Chamonix and onto the autoroute from there.
ski holidays
WASHOUT wrote:

What he said ^^^

But if you’re in a hurry it’s about an hour quicker via the Lausanne / Pontarlier route and more weather secure.
snow report
Also, if you buy a vignette in mid-late December 2021, they should be then be selling the 2022 one which would remain valid until end of January 2023... so pretty good value if you’re likely to be back out again in that timeframe...
snow report
WASHOUT wrote:
Do I need a vignette for driving home to the UK from verbier?

I'd say yes. For the route that we use, ViaMichelin says it's about 65 minutes quicker with a vignette vs without. The link uses the route we take (same as BobinCH) which is Martigny - Lausanne - Exit Besancon/Vallorbe/Orbe - Doubs CH:F Border - Pontarlier - Besançon - A39 to Dijon and north to Calais. ViaMichelin calculates this as 08h50m driving, 853 km, €172.43 (fuel + tolls + CH vignette).

The alternative if you want to stick to motorways would be to go west from Lausanne, across to Bourg-en-Bresse. It's longer but if the weather was really bad, then you might prefer it. Although the scariest drive I've ever done was on the autoroute around Lake Geneva in the middle of a weekday rush hour, in snow and deep slush with everyone else doing 'normal' motorway speeds. We actually elected to go over the 1100m pass from Doubs to Pontarlier, we were so terrified. Although the pass was packed snow, everyone was driving really sensibly and our very mixed small convoy made it fine, without needing chains. In fact, the only car that didn't make it was a Toyota with chains on (I assume with summer tyres): as we ascended, it was alternating tarmac-snow-tarmac and he just couldn't cope on the tarmac segments and turned 'round. I assume everyone else had winter tyres on.

You can get vignettes at most border crossings. Personally, I like to order ours online before I go from the Swiss Tourist Office - coz' I'm like that. As mentioned, it's valid for a calendar year plus the following January (there's no short-stay option).

@WASHOUT If this is your first time self-driving, I did a blog post on our rental website discussing preparation which has some possibly useful info and links, see 'Self-drive to the Swiss Alps: Preparation'.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 29-03-21 17:55; edited 10 times in total
ski holidays
You can also get vignettes at most petrol stations, the one at the roundabout at the bottom of the Forclaz in Martigny had them in the past.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy