Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which size ski. Stuck between two sizes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I’m looking at purchasing my first set of skis Eh oh! I’m looking at Black Crows Captis but not sure is I should get 184 or 178.

I’m 182cm and weigh 75kg

Next year will be my 6th & 7th trip.
Standard of skiing is not bad. Can ski pretty quickly and have tried off piste with no real drama! With the rocker I’m thinking of going to 184 but not sure if 178 will be more fun?

I wouldn’t say I was an aggressive skier. Happy to plod along but can pick up the pace when pals are shooting off or if I feel like getting my heart rate going.

Hope you knowledgeable folk can help me decide.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go for the 178s unless you spend most of your time at high speeds doing Super G turns. I'm 185cm, 78kg and just bought Nordica Enforcer 88s in 179cm. I push them pretty hard and only when I'm getting close to the speed limit do I feel like a longer length would be better.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very small difference when divided front and rear, and probably about 25mm each end of edge contact on flat piste.

If you intend greater % piste, then the shorter may hold slight advantage for your outlook.

If you intend to experiment more in skiing softer snow, then the longer may swing your preference toward that. That includes end of day generally enjoying cut up and sugar snow at late season end of day.

I feel you'd have to be quite skilled to spot one against the other in a true blind test though, they are close.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're sticking to the piste, the shorter. Owt else, longer.

2p
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can you get to a snow dome at all (blah, blah, Covid, blah, blah)?

Obviously an Okobertest would be best but even just a couple of hours should be enough for you to spend some time on the first set of skis they give you, then take them back and ask to try a size up/down - which will usually be a size up/down of exactly the same ski, so length is the only variable. For no better reason than they were out of stock of the shorter length when I bought my first pair of skis I've become used to skis that are "too long" for me and, having dragged some friends for a "learn to ski in a day" session at Manchester before dragging them on their first ski holiday, spend a few hours in the dome. I started on the skis the computer picked out and did enough runs to get me legs back/get comfortable with the skis and then popped back to the hire desk and sked if I could swap up a size. They didn't bat an eyelid and in 3min I was back out on the snow on the same make/model of ski, just a little longer and... Well I just felt happier on the longer ski.

It's amazing what a difference a little length can make - but it's only that last 1% or 2% of 'feel'. Nothing at all wrong with the shorter ones and I could have happily skied them all day, but the longer ones... Just the difference between your normal pants and your old, rather worn favourite pair!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I’m about the same dimensions as you and always just get the second longest a manufacturer makes in any given model. I leave the longest they make to people who are a couple of inches taller and 20kgs heavier.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies. I had 178cm in mind so you’ve helped firm up that decision.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think of it this way, do you prefer quick slalom ski type turns or do you prefer wider GS style on the piste? Also given that you may be skiing them for many years how much do you honestly think you will progress and how quickly?

A shorter length will be easier to control but as said previously, if you want to do more off piste the longer length will prove more stable. I prefer my all mountain skis to be a couple of cm longer than myself and for full powder skis 9 to 14cm longer; with the amount of rocker even these are very easy to turn in the forests. My 185 Bents have about the same piste running length as my slalom skis Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
These, all three lengths, are specified at 18 mtr radius turn and so not much difference from shortest to longest. It's probably going to come down to confidence mostly of which way to go, that's given that kg of op has latitude with spec to choose.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for your help. Skis turned up earlier Eh oh!

[img] EF6466-B8-23-CA-43-CF-AA01-C7-C23-A4-EDCC7<br>upload images<br>[/img]
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think you will enjoy them Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No question what so ever. 178cm. You are too light weight wise and in experienced to go longer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy