Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner/Novice slopes in Chamonix area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good slopes for beginners in the Chamonix area - any preferences or instructors to recommend - hopefully going mid-jan this year - obviously covid dependant Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brevent

And Le Tour if you like it quiet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Le Tour is the best bottom of the hill cheap ticket slope for complete beginners. After that the next progression area is Les Houches, though Le Tour isn't bad. Brevent is just too busy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Houches - Begginner areas are at the top. A single drag at the top of the Bellevue, a Chair and Magic carpet at the top of the Parion and a Detachable chair with very easy runs and a good cafe (La Cha).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another no for Brevent. But yes for Les Houches and Le Tour. Sorry, don't know any instructors.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think there’s relative advantages either way for le tour (technically la Vormaine) vs Les Houches depending on the make up of the group. E.g. if you’ve got young kids, La vormaine means you can park 20m from the slope and there’s a cafe overlooking it to spectate from. The ski pass is also much cheaper, and the lifties are brilliant with kids. However, there’s no magic carpet (might count as good or bad, depends on your instructor’s views). Les Houches can have better snow as it’s a bit higher, but it’s more of a faff at the start/end of the day.

My kids rotated between all the areas depending on snow conditions. Savoy and planards are also worth a mention as pure beginner only slopes.

Instructor-wise I can massively recommend Nico Dunand - great guy, fluent English, but very popular so books up months (sometimes years) in advance. Has taught us, our kids and our friends for nearly a decade. https://www.facebook.com/mountainschoolchamonix/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To add to (and agree with) all of the above, based upon personal experiences with a few beginners:
- complete beginners: Savoy (and book an instructor!)
- one or two lessons in, and wanting to gradually build confidence: beginners area of Les Houches
- starting to get the hang of it, and wanting to push a little, but have something comfortable to fall back on: just on from the beginners are in Les Houches, or Le Tour with someone whe can select the right slopes
- still beginner, but getting the hang of it, and happy to repeat slopes, while allowing others in the group to push on a bit: Flegere

Of course if you're staying in Le Tour, then stick with that. Likewise if you're staying in Les Houches, stay there! Don't drag complete beginners up and down the valley if it's not needed, that will put them off faster than anything else. Instructors can be booked for any area, and they all have beginner areas of some kind that a decent (!) instructor will know how to use. Yes, even Grands Montets! (Chosalets)

(Funny that absolutely no one is suggesting Les Planards, though it is a small 'beginner friendly' area Laughing )
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Andy_Mac, while I can't claim expertise about the whole valley I am happy to second @Idris's recommendation of La Cha.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Instructor - Simon Halliwell - http://www.powderama.com/about-us/our-team/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks guys! I forgot to say I'm beginner snowboarded - does that change anybody's opinion of the areas suggested at all ? Is it easy to get around the area on bus's to checkout other slopes? wont be driving so using bus's
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Andy_Mac, Vormaine is all drag lifts ...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Andy_Mac wrote:
thanks guys! I forgot to say I'm beginner snowboarded - does that change anybody's opinion of the areas suggested at all ? Is it easy to get around the area on bus's to checkout other slopes? wont be driving so using bus's

Begginer and easy lift at Prarion are both chair and the above cafe is still easily accessable.

Snowboard instructor - Kieran Mac Donald Sharp
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Andy_Mac, have you 'booked' and confirmed your trip to Cham yet? Might be a tad controversial but if not, my advice would be 'consider somewhere other than Cham'... Go somewhere that is probably more suited to a beginner...

I've been to Cham and it's a great place to go so if you have booked, you'll have lots of fun, but a car is advisable as there is a lot of travelling between the different areas as you progress (although it does have a decent bus system...).

If you've not booked and you are able to consider alternatives, then just around the corner is St Gervais and Les Contamines... Neither have the same lively vibe of Cham but are both great resorts in their own right and perhaps better suited to someone learning...

You'll have a ball regardless @Andy_Mac and if it is Cham them I would suggest Le Tour/Les Houches... Smile Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy