Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire at Innsbruck FYI

Poster: A snowHead
I hire and self drive to Obergurgl, Ischgl etc. Probably cheaper to share a lift but I like being my own boss...

Anyway, looking at car rental prices at Holiday Autos and AutoEurope, the cheapest is Global. Followed by Buchbinder, Interrent, Megadrive. I have used the last two and they are the same company (at the furthest desk in the car park building); cars are a bit random; I've had high spec Focus and a funny van type car both on the same rental level, but I've had no problem in more than half a dozen hires - they get poor reviews on Trustpilot though...

I thought it was the case, but Global and Buchbinder are at the same desk; I've just emailed with them and they confirm that they are the same cars, so I will be going for the cheapest of the 4. (I have an excess insurance with my Curve card - never buy the rental company's offers)

Prices are about 2/3rds of Enterprise/Europcar etc, and 3/4 of Budget. Avis - who uses Avis and their prices (when Budget are the same company) - I don't even think about
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cue shedload of people anti buchbinder/megadrive. I use them all the time. Just be up front that you dont want insurance or upgrade....I've turned down a paid for upgrade and got that car anyway as its all they had. Sneaky...

I akways use Autoeurope to find the cheapest price
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Holiday Autos gives more cashback at TopCashback - 8.4%

Up to them if they are anti-buch/mega/inter/glob and want to pay higher prices elsewhere

They don't push the insurance/upgrade and cars are always fine to good
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@buchanan101, I would give Megadrive a wide berth. I was conned (in fact defrauded) to the tune of 400 Euros some years ago by Megadrive at Innsbruck.
There is thread on here from that time. There are also many bad reviews in the same vein on Tripadvisor.
Now most of these are from a few years back, as is my experience, so maybe management changes might have improved the operation, but they were under investigation by the Austrian authorities.
Plenty of other rental companies at Innsbruck without risking Megadrive.
This, not my review, is one of several bad Tripadvisor reviews from a few years ago -
Megadrive at Innsbruck Airport - AVOID!
5 years ago
Save
I see that MegaDrive keeps coming up in the forums and I wish I'd read some of the comments before renting from them. I was charged over €800 for a small scratch (less than 4cm) on the bumper (A company like Europcar ignore small scratches). My rental agreement clearly stated the CDW excess as being €450. When I asked for the supporting paperwork to justify this charge, I was then charged a further 'service' charge. None of this paperwork was forthcoming until I made a fuss with 'Holiday Autos', who I had rented it through. My credit card company were especially useless. It took over three months for Megadrive to eventually charge me just over €200 (and refund my credit card with the remainder). Luckily I had an annual CDW excess policy with CarHireExcess.com. and they refunded me the difference. Megadrive were completely disreputable in the way they behaved, and I see now that they have form. The word needs to get out there. Has anyone else had recent experience of Megadrive or Buchbinder (another of their trading names)?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've seen the TripAdvisor reviews including that one. As I said I've used Megadrive I think 8 times now at Innsbruck (counting 4 Obergurgl, 3 Ischgl and 1 Mayrhofen rentals through there). The only problem I've had is when the Gurglhof dented my car's roof in their underground car park. Not Megadrive's fault, and was sorted. I have excess insurance elsewhere.

Yes, plenty of other companies at anything from 30% or so more (Budget) to double (Avis).

They must have sorted their act out because my experience is nothing like yours or those on Trustpilot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@buchanan101, I use quidco
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quidco and Topcashback are, I think, the only two that give 100% of their commission back. Topcashback if you pay £5 a year give 105%...

I use both, but mainly TCB.

HolidayAutos is actually coming up with lower prices BUT they now charge for cancellation insurance whereas AutoEurope doesn't
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thought I'd check out recent (2020) Trustpilot. Wow!! Never ever seen such a low review score anywhere by any organisation - 96% Bad/poor! Just 4 in 100 thought Megadrive better than average. Overall score 1.4. Woeful.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Indeed, but 8 hires with no problems, and I DIDN'T write a review for any of them...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@buchanan101, autoeurope are charging now too
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry, got them the round way round. Autoeurope are cheapest even with the charge
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@buchanan101, thought so
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My error on this - AutoEurope is still free cancellation up to 48 hours before travel, the insurance is for within that 48 hours from Covid.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@buchanan101, good to know. I didn't pay for the insurance
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have used Buchbinder many times from INN. Never had any problems. We never upgrade and never take their insurance. Twice out of the 8-10 times used I have scratched the car amd had to pay out (reclaimed on own insurance).

I have had aweful experiences with Budget at INN.

I always take multiple pictures of all the existing scratches then go back to the desk and have them agree to my assessment.

Once in Munich (lots of bad experiences with multiple car companies) I even filmed the attendant agreeing the scratches were there.
snow report
It’s a huge global con but Europe really needs to sort it out. Portugal and Italy even worse…..ever tried Goldcar!!!???
snow report
In Malaga there were so many options that I'd never heard of and seemed way too cheap - chose Europcar there.

They have a "free" scratch length limit - unfortunately I went just over that, but claimed on my own excess insurance.

Good to hear that at least 3 of us think mega/buch/glob/inter at Innsbruck are just fine
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy