Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK removed from the Switzerland High Risk countries list

Poster: A snowHead
Another update.

Now been back in CH for 48 hours, and received an email from the Bern contact tracing service:

Dear Sir / Madam

You have entered Switzerland from a region that the Federal Office of Public Health has designated as having an increased risk of infection.

You are now required to quarantine and to report your arrival in Switzerland to the Canton of Bern as specified in the leaflet attached.
You can find the registration form here: https://contacttracing.ctbern.ch/Inbound.

If you have already registered, you can disregard this message.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind regards
COVID-19 Contact Tracing Bern
+41 31 636 80 00, corona.ct@be.ch
Department of Health, Social Services and Integration, Office of health
Rathausgasse 1, P.O. Box, 3000 Bern 8
www.be.ch/gsi

There are hefty fines for failing to quarantine, so I replied, to the effect that I am fully vaccinated and therefore shouldn’t have to quarantine.

I got the following reply a few minutes later:

Dear Mr. telford_mike

Thank you for your e-mail.

This e-mail is an automatically generated message for everyone flying to Switzerland. But in your case, you are right that you don’t have to quarantine.

We are sorry for the misunderstanding and wish you a nice stay in Switzerland.

Kind regards,

CT 274, Contact Tracing

So, if you travel here by air, you can expect a scary email from your canton telling you to quarantine, whether you actually have to isolate or not!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@telford_mike, Bern is always super keen, I bet Appenzeller Inner hasnt even got email
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Basel-Stadt is even keener. My partner returned last night and this afternoon got a more detailed version of the above which included the dates he has to quarantine for and all sorts of links to the various applicable laws/rules. Except the important one that says he doesn‘t have to quarantine as he‘s fully vaccinated! The covering email did include the line
Quote:
If you have an exception from quarantine, you may ignore this mail.

But no link to what constitutes an exception. rolling eyes

He also got what he assumes is a related email saying:

Quote:
Thank you very much for downloading the COVID Care App of both Cantons of Basel and for your help in containing the COVID-19 epidemic

Together with his login information for above said app, which he‘s not downloaded and which neither of us have ever heard of before. Puzzled

So be aware, the cantons don‘t seem to have caught up!

@Nadenoodlee, didn‘t everyone in Appenzeller Innerrhoden already get it last summer from some super-spreading yodelling festival? wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gämsbock, that was Schwyz, jesus last Summer was wild Very Happy but it was probably a Heidi festival or something or the weird stand and vote in the town square stuff in AI
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Nadenoodlee, Laughing
I‘ve just remembered, it‘s Appenzell Ausserrhoden I‘m thinking of, it was the wedding where they all agreed not to get tested so that no one would have to quarantine…
https://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/corona-alarm-in-ausserrhoden-coronafall-an-hochzeit-gaeste-liessen-sich-extra-nicht-testen

All of them are on my „special“ canton list and I get them confused. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apologies if I have missed it on this or another thread but I'm trying to work out the position of someone returning to the UK from Switzerland by road via France under the new rules which require quarantine for people arriving in the UK from France. I seem to recall that last year, at a time when France was also in a higher risk category than Switzerland, you would be effectively treated as arriving from Switzerland even if you had driven through France so long as you effectively drove straight through without stopping except for fuel. Does anyone know if this same rule still applies under the new arrangements?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@whollymoley, unfortunately not, it‘s entry from, i.e. includes transit.

Government website
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fully-vaccinated-arrivals-from-france-to-england-must-continue-to-quarantine

Quote:
France is on the amber list for entering England. From 19 July anyone arriving from France to England must continue to quarantine for 10 days at home or in other accommodation, even if they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

BBC
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57869880

Quote:
The government announcement means that anyone who has been in France in the previous 10 days will need to quarantine on arrival to England in their own accommodation and will need a day two and day eight test, regardless of their vaccination status.
This includes any fully vaccinated individual who transits through France from either a green or another amber country.

In case it is relevant, note also that the UK considers Basel airport to be France.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the reply - even if it's not what I wanted to hear!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@whollymoley, you‘re welcome and sorry about that Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know all the information is above. I have read that and I have read the various Swiss sites. However i just want to quadruple check. I am (finally after 18 months) flying out to Switzerland a week on Wednesday (abandoned driving so only need to concentrate on one country). I am double jabbed (couple of months ago -:AstaZeneca). I have the following:

1. Proof of vaccine on NHS app plus a print out.
2. Swiss entry form completed plus a print out.

I think that is all I need. Grateful for anyone agreeing/disagreeing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for asking this question, as I was reading on the gov.uk website that
“Switzerland has not yet confirmed that it will accept the UK solutions for demonstrating your COVID vaccination status.”
I wondered what that means in practice, as I’ll be travelling to Geneva from Dublin on an Irish passport but vaccinated in NI.
However, the questionnaire on the Swiss government page suggests it is fine for me to travel and isn’t specific on the type of proof it requires.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like good news for returning Brits
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9825779/Double-jabbed-British-expats-travel-rules-eased-month.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rois1980 wrote:
“Switzerland has not yet confirmed that it will accept the UK solutions for demonstrating your COVID vaccination status.”
I wondered what that means in practice, as I’ll be travelling to Geneva from Dublin on an Irish passport but vaccinated in NI.
However, the questionnaire on the Swiss government page suggests it is fine for me to travel and isn’t specific on the type of proof it requires.

Can you upload your NI status into the French app (England vaccine status works for this) and then use the French app?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ahhh I’ll try that @snowdave , thank you. That’s when I get my NI cert - the only people who can get one at the minute are those travelling before 31st.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JohnMo wrote:
I know all the information is above. I have read that and I have read the various Swiss sites. However i just want to quadruple check. I am (finally after 18 months) flying out to Switzerland a week on Wednesday (abandoned driving so only need to concentrate on one country). I am double jabbed (couple of months ago -:AstaZeneca). I have the following:

I hope so, because I'm flying to GVA tomorrow and working on the same basis!
ski holidays
Rois1980 wrote:

They said in one of the gov press conferences it might take a while for mutual recognition of all the apps. The recommended in the interim to carry a printed copy of the vaccine certificate. I’ve heard of lots of people getting into CH from UK with no issues so as long as you’ve got this you’ll be fine. I’ve not heard of anyone having issues at all.

The text sounds like the UK government trying to pretend that the Swiss government is the issue in mutual vaccine recognition. rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Rois1980, the Swiss government website says quite clearly here (my bold):

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html?fbclid=IwAR17GdCtsG1RbM11mamHaRLst3XNGBuyBXYcHyx1797D_HidkJ7BqrzrJJc#1355154378

Quote:
COVID-19 vaccination requirements
People who are fully vaccinated are exempt from many health-related measures at the border. These exemptions apply to people who have been vaccinated with one of the following vaccines:

Pfizer/BioNTech (BNT162b2 / Comirnaty® / Tozinameran)
Moderna (mRNA-1273 / Spikevax / COVID-19 vaccine Moderna)
AstraZeneca (AZD1222 Vaxzevria®/ Covishield™)
Janssen / Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)
Sinopharm / BIBP (SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine (Vero Cell))
Sinovac (CoronaVac)
Do you not have a COVID certificate that is recognised in Switzerland? In this case, in addition to your last name, first name and date of birth, your proof of vaccination must also include the date of vaccination and the vaccine used.

I believe the NHS vaccination certificates include all that hence no issues.
latest report
We went into Switzerland from France last week using a series of lifts and walking. We did stick our passports in the backpack and had our vaccine double jabbedness on our phones. Had a cup of coffee and a drink and returned to France for lunch.
latest report
Thank you @Gämsbock, still can’t generate my NI cert but hoping they have followed the English NHS in format!

The south of Ireland opened bars and restaurants today (indoor) where you need proof of double vaccination. As most in the North don’t have the certs yet, they are accepting the little hand written cards from the vaccine centres.
snow report
iainm wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

I hope so, because I'm flying to GVA tomorrow and working on the same basis!

Depending where you’re flying from, I would highly recommend getting an antigen test before you check-in. We certainly needed this flying from Manchester.
snow report
@telford_mike, just read back your post about flying on 12th to try to figure this out. My partner flew back from Manchester to CH the day after you and didn‘t need the antigen test, though he had got one just in case. He was 15 days post second jab, was it only because your vaccination certificate wasn‘t recognised for being 7 days post second jab that they asked for it? I‘m wondering because we both have to go over next week and were thinking not to bother with the pre-flight antigen this time.
latest report
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html

no quarantine nor test required if fully vaxxed, even from UK, India or Nepal
snow report
@under a new name, oh but if but actual rules and check-in interpretation of rules were always the same thing wink, not to mention airlines having their own rules rolling eyes. I think that @telford_mike and my partner flew the same route a day apart, and both decided to get antigen tests as backup „just in case“ - and then my partner was not asked for his whereas @telford_mike was. Based on my partner‘s earlier experience we‘d more or less decided not to waste money on yet another bl00dy COVID test for our upcoming trip but I‘m now wondering based on @telford_mike‘s experience. But if it was only required because he wasn‘t 14 days post second jab then I think we‘re ok.
latest report
Gämsbock wrote:
@telford_mike, just read back your post about flying on 12th to try to figure this out. My partner flew back from Manchester to CH the day after you and didn‘t need the antigen test, though he had got one just in case. He was 15 days post second jab, was it only because your vaccination certificate wasn‘t recognised for being 7 days post second jab that they asked for it? I‘m wondering because we both have to go over next week and were thinking not to bother with the pre-flight antigen this time.

Yes our second jabs were only a few days old. But they were also asking for all sorts of random stuff like residence permits (which we had) so they weren’t up to date with the Swiss requirements at all. Hopefully they've improved by now.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:

Can you upload your NI status into the French app (England vaccine status works for this) and then use the French app?

Thanks again for this - just got my NI cert and it uploaded really easily with the fireworks to tell me it was successfully done.
snow conditions
@Rois1980, glad it worked! Slightly embarrassing how easy the interoperability seems to be for some providers Happy

P.S. I love the fireworks.
latest report
@telford_mike, my partner was also asked for his Swiss residence permit, at multiple points on the journey. However despite showing it in Amsterdam en route back to CH, they still insisted on stamping his passport to demonstrate the date he entered Schengen and were under the impression he should have had an exit stamp when he left Puzzled
snow conditions
Ok, so my understanding is that from the UK to Switzerland, vaccinated parents are OK, but un vaccinated kids are still obliged to quarantine regardless of negative test?
To complicate matters, what is the case if you go UK to France, stay in France for 2 weeks then drive to Switzerland (which we plan to do). Does this mean un vaccinated kids will be OK?

So confusing!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ish303, if you spend two weeks (or even 10 days) in France then your unvaccinated kids can enter Switzerland with no problem. Switzerland care about where you have been the last 10 days so if you were in France for that time the fact that you were in the UK before is of no importance. See here:
https://travelcheck.admin.ch/check
snow report
I’ve booked to fly Manchester to Geneva next Wednesday returning a week later. My reading of the Swiss and UK govt web sites is for UK to Switzerland all I need is proof of double jab and a filled in form. On my return if things don’t change. I need either a negative PCR or LFT within 72 hrs plus a passenger locator form and evidence that I’ve booked a day two test on my return. All seems quite simple really. I was surprised that a lateral flow test was acceptable. Anyone got first hand experience.
snow report
jbob wrote:
Anyone got first hand experience.

Flew Manchester - Zurich a couple of weeks ago., and thought the same. The problem for us was that the check-in staff at Manchester (we flew with Swiss) didn’t know the rules. We'd anticipated this and got antigen tests the afternoon before we flew. Hopefully the situation has improved by now, but if you want to be absolutely sure you’ll be allowed to board, get a test. Remember, airlines may have different rules for boarding their aircraft - it's not just about the rules for entry to your destination country. We've no plans to return to the U.K. in the foreseeable future, so can’t comment on the return leg.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 30-07-21 23:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@telford_mike, thanks. I check the airline info.
I’ve just done the online form.
latest report
We flew last week Friday from Heathrow to Zurcih with our vaccine passports only and went through very quickly . Was flying Swiss air who seemed to know exactly what was going on.

Was checked again at passport control - no problem. Very quick.

Got a scary generic text on our mobile phone to quarantine- ignored that.

Then got a specific email and a call from the Canton’s Covid folk (Graubunden). They and passport control don’t speak so we needed to email then a copy of the vaccine passport - very easy (just took two photos and emailed).
snow report
JohnMo wrote:

At this stage I am simply repeating what others have said. But as it gave me comfort reading experiences I thought I’d still add mine.

I was on the 8.20 am Heathrow to Geneva BA flight. I got to the airport ridiculously early. The check in process was very smooth. The check in person didn’t know the Swiss rules but pulled them up in a couple of second and check my NHS vaccine certificate which I had printed off.

I had checked in online but couldn’t get my boarding pass on the app. Possibly related to the need to show vaccine certificate? I checked once I had checked in my bags and it came up on the app then.

The plane boarded in “old style” (ie by Group number) despite lots of things saying they would board by back rows first. The plane was busy.

We landed at the main terminal but were bussed round to the minor side which I always associate with City flights. There were two border gates open for non-CH/EU - but one closed after doing one passenger. Fortunately I had got off first bus relatively quickly and was in the queue for the gate that stayed open. The border police took a longer look at my passport than I was used to pre-Covid/Brexit and stamped it. He looked at my NHS vaccine certificate but not my printout of the Swiss entry form - I imagine that was on his system.

The airport was pretty busy generally but luggage etc all seemed to be working as well as ever.

If I had been at the back of one of the later buses I can imagine the process might have been quite prolonged. But for me it was very easy indeed.
snow report
From British Embassy in Berne Facebook page

Quote:
Switzerland has removed the UK from its list of countries with a variant of concern.

From 4 August, you:
- don't have to quarantine when entering from the UK, regardless of age and whether you are vaccinated or not
- only have to take a pre-departure test if unvaccinated. However if you’re unvaccinated you can only enter Switzerland under certain limited criteria including residency. Children under the age of 16 are exempt from testing.
- have to complete a Passenger Locator Form, if travelling by air

For further information, go to:

www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html

www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland
ski holidays
OK, so I'm trying to work out whether or not we can transit (or even visit) Switzerland with an unvaccinated 12 year old? I've found this too? https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/switzerland-eases-entry-restrictions-for-arrivals-from-uk-india-nepal/

I really want to go to Divonne but from where we are in Thollon we would have to go through Geneva to get there or face a lengthy detour. Also my preferred route down is via the Jura popping out near Lausanne and going round Lake Geneva clockwise to avoid Annemasse and Evian. Is this now possible?
latest report
@AllyK, are you just transiting Switzerland by car to go from one part of France to another part of France? If so I don’t think there are any restrictions on that. If you are originating from the UK you need to be vaccinated but your 12 year old doesn’t since the change today. You can out your specific circumstances in here
https://travelcheck.admin.ch/check
ski holidays
AllyK wrote:
OK, so I'm trying to work out whether or not we can transit (or even visit) Switzerland with an unvaccinated 12 year old? I've found this too? https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/switzerland-eases-entry-restrictions-for-arrivals-from-uk-india-nepal/

I really want to go to Divonne but from where we are in Thollon we would have to go through Geneva to get there or face a lengthy detour. Also my preferred route down is via the Jura popping out near Lausanne and going round Lake Geneva clockwise to avoid Annemasse and Evian. Is this now possible?

Parkrun tourism? It is a potential PB course if so!
ski holidays
I’m trying to understand the requirement to register with a canton, is this only if you need to quarantine? Seems to be in addition to the passenger locator form but the information all seems a bit unclear to me.
ski holidays
@PinkPig, yes, this is only if you need quarantine on arrival. This is because management of quarantine and contact tracing is handled by the individual cantons.
Warning: generally the cantons seem to contact you via a mass email based on the information on your entry form. E.g. flying back into Basel last month my partner (exempt from quarantine) got a long email from Basel-Stadt canton the day after he returned telling him they knew he‘d entered and quarantine start/end dates etc. At the bottom it said „If you have an exception from quarantine, you may ignore this mail“.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy