Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Repairing snowboard topside chips as a novice who usually offloads such tasks on others!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any tips for me? I've pulled my socks up and actually learned how to tune and wax my own board (rather than asking the nice people at Snow+Rock to do it!) I'm fine with using PTEX to repair a few small dings on the bottom. But I'm a bit less sure about the tail end topside. I've got a couple of small chips of about 5mm triangle shaped right on the end - clearly where I've stood my board on it's end less than carefully!

Any tips on which epoxy to use etc? I've watched a lot of YouTube videos but you lovely folks might have some advice on particular products or problems. None of the videos are women in their late 30s who are messy at DIY at the best of times! Like do I really need a heat-gun??? Should I use packing tape or masking tape?? UK-based and it's still lockdown so B&Q is my most accessible shop.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Almost any epoxy will be fine, avoid fast ones (60 second or 5 minute) as you won't have enough faffing time or any that claim to be a gel.

I've never used a heat gun, the epoxy should be runny enough to get in the gap... A cocktail stick is great for poking it into a deep delamination.

I use masking tape but any tape is ok, it might just leave a sticky residue.

Don't worry if it doesn't look great at the end, any board without a few scars hasn't been ridden hard enough!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^+1

Some advice I was given to protect a top sheet from the cosmetic chips they pick up around the edges in lift queue is to run a file over the edge at 45 degrees to just take the very corner off the sheet -think of it like 'detuning' the top sheet. It stops skis hooking the edge and forming chips I think, it seems to work.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fab thanks @Doofenschmirtz ! I was worried about choosing the wrong tape or something and having to confess my ignorance to a repair shop while they heartily laughed at my ineptitude! Ok cool, two part epoxy, not the quick dry stuff, cocktail stick - I can do this!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that @rogg - I'll make that my final move after the repairs Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Goofybiscuit, use a two part epoxy a couple of options below for you, if you need it to get into any cracks or a delam, warm it up with a hair dryer so that it becomes runny, it also speeds the curing process, if it's just a ding in the top sheet then you won't need to warm it up, once it's cured you can file or sand it into shape to match the board.

https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/repair/araldite-2011-standard-precision-2x15ml-detail.html
https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/repair/hardmans-double-bubble-blue-epoxy-detail.html

An example of an epoxy repair https://www.gbskiservicing.co.uk/gallery?pgid=jf6sakvw-760aec79-a0d5-4a16-9954-27e460f12250
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @radar, they're just tiny chips to the top sheet so fingers crossed my first experiment in repair will be a success! Maybe not a very neat and tidy one though Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Honest answer - don't bother.

Unless there are signs of imminent delamination, there's really no need. It's just cosmetic and that won't be improved with epoxy!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stevomcd, I guess part of it is that I want to practice the skill.

Extra question - when I'm cleaning my board a lot of the videos say "use a Brillo pad or something" but isn't a Brillo pad impregnanted with soap? Should I use a wire cleaner like I do for my dishes?? Or is that too rough??
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Goofybiscuit, you are right not a brillo pad!! In the states you can get metal scouring pad, these are used to remove the wax, after the board has been waxed some suggest a fibre pad and they mean a scotch pad, the green things, most ski service shops use fibre pads in there different grades to smooth the base, but they aren’t the green ones!

If you want to wax your board, check out the Piste Office where you will find a how to guide by Spyderjon.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy