Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ferry - when can we book?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We are hoping to drive for the first time at Christmas next year (hoping!!). Does anyone know when Brittany Ferries usually release their December crossings? We are hoping for Portsmouth to Caen as we are based on South Wales and want to avoid driving to Dover/Folkstone after work on a Friday!

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was going to comment on Dover being just as close, But Im assuming you want to drive to France?

Are you sea dogs? Could be a long time at sea if your not!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think I'd ask the ferry company??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you do one of the western Channel crossings you also need to factor in what time - and how - to transit Paris. I live with 10 minutes drive of the Portsmouth ferry port but drive to Dover and take eurotunnel. @jafa is right about the long time at sea which, too often, translates into a rather short time asleep.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have done the Portsmouth to Caen crossing before for skiing and if you can fall asleep easily on the ferry it is a good option. The ferry and cabin prices are usually cheaper for Christmas than in the summer and the ferries are very quiet at that time of year so no queuing for meals etc.

It doesn't look as though Brittany Ferries have released their winter prices yet. They will probably come out in the summer.

We usually book skiing through Peak Retreats and when we have booked the Caen ferry through them in a package with alpine accommodation the ferry price has worked out cheaper than booking the ferry on its own through BF (as BF don't offer ferry/accommodation deals for alpine destinations). If you book accommodation and ferry together through a TO you would also have better financial protection at the current time as it counts as a package holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, Assuming @laurenamy25, is taking the Friday night ferry she would be going round paris early on Saturday morning so hopefully the traffic would not be too bad.

The cross country route via Tours/Le Mans is another option which we usually do to avoid Paris but as it is a bit longer it works better taking an early morning ferry from Portsmouth and stopping for a night en route. We are only just over an hour from Portsmouth so it works for us. Might be less appealing from Wales!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies all.

Yes we are used to ferry crossings - husband spent a lot of time travelling to France when younger and I am a History teacher so I have been on many a ferry crossing on tours to Europe (and can sleep anywhere!). We are hoping to do the Friday night over night which arrives in Caen around 7-8am with the aim of getting around Paris nice and early.

Thanks for the suggestion @snowmum - we already have accomodation booked direct but this is something we will maybe look at in the future.

@colinstone - I am purely asking to see if anyone who normally books the ferry knows a rough idea - ferry company does not have this information published and as we all know contacting them is a bit of a pain at the moment!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@laurenamy25, sailings from November to March usually go on sale in mid July. We have a membership with Brittany Ferries- if you need 10% off your fare, please PM me nearer the time and I can send you our membership number for a discount.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@glossopdodge thank you so much - that’s really kind.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brittany Ferries will be releasing sailings from Nov 2021 to well into 2022 on April 6th. Happy to share my membership code - PM me if interested.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy