Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please tell me about Serfaus!

Poster: A snowHead
@sah,earlier is better especially as the bottom of the home run gets quite chopped up by the end of day.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Serfaus tube is a cool novelty that keeps the traffic levels down a bit.

Some of my fondest memories of pre covid holidays there are finishing a long day on the mountain, having a few drinks in the Patschi and then walking back to the hotel down the buzzing, vibrant main street as it's just getting dark.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gaz_H, The Ski school times are not ideal if you want to ski with the kids. What I did was put them in the Snowstars progamme for 3 days and then I got the rest of the week with them. I think there is an 09.30 start option so obviously they get out earlier and you get ski time with them. We always met them for lunch. If there is a flipside which ironically is one of the reasons we go to Serfaus, is that it's very unlikely they'll be other British kids in the classes - it's never happened in the whole team we've been going. My kids are pretty relaxed about it but equally it won't be fun for some if they haven't got anyone to talk to all day (although it's a good excuse to practice German). The level of instruction is very good. My son's group just skied powder all week and he let them do some decent rock drops so he was in his element. I think on the third day they lose their skis and all go out on snowbikes which is carnage. They also test them on things like piste signs and etiquette.

There is definitely only one ski school in Serfaus. A few years ago there was an old boy who was a one man ski school but he didn't speak a word of English. I think he was related to someone in the village so they just let him get on with it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
Hmm I must backtrack on the ‘more than one ski school’… could have sworn that was the case but apparently it’s monopolised in Serfaus, sorry! Times are either 9.30-2.30 or 10.30-3.30. We always skied with the girls either before or after, or both.

Seems that way doesn't it. However, Fiss isn't the same does have more than 1 operator and they seem more flexible
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jagerbull wrote:
The Serfaus tube is a cool novelty that keeps the traffic levels down a bit.

Some of my fondest memories of pre covid holidays there are finishing a long day on the mountain, having a few drinks in the Patschi and then walking back to the hotel down the buzzing, vibrant main street as it's just getting dark.

I can't wait. Even if the aprés bars are closed it sounds like a nice place to wander around Smile If it's half as good as people say I can see us becoming regulars, as long as my bank account can stand it Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sah, the Patschi is definitely open this season (at the moment) but is table service only. I expect the other bars, shops and restaurants on the main street will be open too.

Hope you like it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sah, spend time exploring pistes around Fiss towards Ladis, especially in good snow conditions, as they are quieter as the crowd does seem to migrate towards the higher slopes or Serfaus above the tree line. So head to the right of the piste map.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, agree. After a nice dump of snow that whole section above the Zirbenhutte is great. Loads of scope for easily accessible unpisted snow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ozboy, Yes I agree. Fiss 'Northside' is a great area with some decent black pistes (Alderpiste & Zwolfer) and a great timed race-course.

And then come home via the epic Frommesabfahrt (sp) all the way down to Ladis
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@red 27, Is the Frommesabfahrt the very long run that starts above the tree line and has a great “western”(?) themed restaurant to the left 2/3 down? It’s up there as one of my favourite runs. We stopped going to SFL as discovered Madesimo in Italy before buying a place in PDS. Hope to go back one day away from school holidays for a long weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ozboy, I haven't been to that restaurant but yes I think that's the run. It starts on a wide ridge with fantastic views, very open and a nice easy (red) gradient and then eventually drops off to the right. Ladis is then a left turn (if open)

It starts from the top of the Scheonjochbahn (sp) which is the long red 2-stage bubble out of Fiss
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red 27, yup that’s the one - a real thigh burner!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ozboy, is that the place that has the goats. If so it's a nice place on a sunny afternoon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yup that’s indeed the one
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whats the Apres like? Or bars in general?
ski holidays
@Sarny, pre covid there were limited options for apres in Serfaus. But to some extent this helped as it made for good atmosphere in the apres bars that were there.

We would usually have a couple of beers at the Umbrella bar at the top of the Komperdellbahn then board down to the Patschi.
The Patschi is (was) the sort of apres bar you get in Ischgl, Solden etc. Rammed full inside with loads of people dancing on tables to the usual Austrian tunes, with an outside space which is a bit less chaotic. They also sold food such as ribs outside.

There is an umbrella bar at the bottom of run 90 that was also good. But it is small and probably not open this year.

The other option for madder apres is the George pub. Near the Zentrum tube stop, run by a Dutch guy. We had a week there during Karnival and it was crazy busy. With all staff in fancy dress.
We usually spent the apres hours at the Patschi and go to the George later.

There are other bars on the main road for a quieter drink. If I want a break from the Patschi at the end of the day, I like sitting outside the Fauser-Stadl watching the world go by.

There is a large Hexenalm in Fiss that we didn't make it to for apres yet on our trips, but I expect that would be good. We have been in during our day on the mountain.
latest report
Made it to Serfaus, and it’s everything we hoped for for a family trip. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice Smile one more question for those in the know, is there a good boot fitter in the town? We’ll probably just head in to the big Patscheider at the bottom of the lift, but if anyone has a top tip please share!
ski holidays
@sah, try inter sport on the right upstairs just before you head down to Patscheider
ski holidays
@sah, my wife had boots successfully fitted from the bug store in Feb left as you approach the lift before the ramp in the road. You have to go upstairs and normally a long wait at the end of day. Might be better to make an appointment during the ski day.
snow conditions
thanks @Guernseyfreerider, and @Ozboy, We actually got boots at the store at the top of the lift, we popped in at lunchtime, no one else there, my wife tried on a couple of pairs and found a pair she liked. The guy was very helpful, and they suggested that she ski them for a few hours and come back for any adjustments. She did that but found nothing needed changing, apart from fiddling with buckles a bit. We'll be back there next year, so if there are any issues we can get them looked at at the same place Smile

Serfaus was amazing, exactly as described by everyone here. I really don't have any new info to add, other than to point out the obvious, it is very busy in Dutch half term. It looks like our calendar next year doesn't match the Dutch one, so we're hoping it will be a bit quieter.

The crowds were not a big problem, the lift from the valley was quick, we waited about 5 minutes each morning at rush hour. The only real big queue was on the Planseggbahn, that seemed to be very busy all week, and the ski school use it for snow bikes, which means the lift can stop a lot when they're loading and unloading. Once we got to know our way around it was less of an issue. The slopes away from the main base were much quieter, Masner was great and the area above Fiss was fine too.
snow conditions
Had a great week in Serfaus last week. It was wall to wall sun for the whole week. Managed to get a few untracked turns on the North facing slopes in the Masner area at the beginning of the week.
On the whole it was a piste week and the cold weather meant that many of the higher runs didn't soften up much throughout the day.
Had a lovely slushy run into Ladis on one of the warmer days.

I stick to my comments on the other recent Serfaus thread, it's not a resort for people who get nervous on red runs. There are large parts of the area that are red and black only.

Last week was the second time I've been to Serfaus during Fasching week and it seemed much busier this year. Not great for lift queues but the main street was buzzing during the evening. I will definitely look at alternate weeks the next time I go.

The Masner sector had the best snow all week, I wish there were more hutte options over in that direction. There really isn't much choice.

And a mention for the Zum Wohl restaurant, great burgers and ribs.
ski holidays
@omas brumm,
@sah,
Hi, hope it's OK to hop onto this old post.
Can I ask you both about Bertas in Fiss in case you know the answers to my questions? I'm about to book my two children in there for the pre Christmas week, but I'm a little confused. It seems like the 3 year-old will only start on Monday (and we can take her on the nursery slope ourselves at 10:30). So I'm not sure now if I should book the older one 7 in from Sunday or Monday. Also, does this mean no skiing for us on the Sunday?
snow report
Quote:

So I'm not sure now if I should book the older one 7 in from Sunday or Monday

If the rest of the class start on Sunday, definitely book him then. Miserable to turn up on day 2 when all the others will have made good progress and feel like old hands. Have fun with your 3 year old on Sunday - their whole attitude to snow and skiing might be shaped by the experience that day. Do some toboganning, build a snowman, watch some other littlies skiing and (hopefully....) having fun.
latest report
Don't put her on skis. Definitely don't.....
latest report
Jumping on this thread for some info. Looking at Fiss/Serfaus/ladies for week 14th Jan 2023 before heading to Arlberg. 4 skiers and snowboard ranging from 33-75. Reds/blues ideal for whole group. Blacks okay but elderly don’t like them too much. Where is best place to base ourselves? Any hotel recommendations. Half-board is perfect as parents are older and don’t like to leave hotel in evening. They love being close to lifts. Apres not important. It might be me but really struggling to find half-board hotels. I haven’t skied in the area much so might be me.
latest report
as much as i know, Serfaus & Fiss have more appartments than hotels with HB
in generall i think serfaus i more expensive and if you want near the lifts the prices will reach the Arlberg niveau
snow report
@Ldj226, I think Serfaus would suit you better, there’s good ski and boot storage right under the main lift station and the little tram that runs the length of the village makes it really easy to get to the lifts from most of the hotels. The underground tram runs along under the Main Street, Dorfbahnstrasse, so any hotels on or near that street will be a minute or two away from a station. Can’t remember the name of the hotel but I’ve stayed on one at the far end of the village from the lifts and it was fine, just walked across the road and into the tram in the morning.

Fiss on the other hand has no tram but some quite steep streets so a bit less convenient.

There are a few properly steep blacks in the area but you don’t need to ski them, there’s always alternative routes.
snow conditions
Since you mentioned "Elderly", here's another vote vote for Serfaus and its subway, a really nice, unusual feature that can save a ton of walking. Half-board isn't their sweet spot so maybe some flex on that is warranted. I stayed at the Das Köhle, right across from the Kirche (subway) Station. Nice rooftop pool as well. When I return to the Alps, Serfaus will be among the destinations.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ldj226, Fiss is best IMV

I stay here which is very excellent. Ski in - ski out and has its own equipment hire shop too

You parents won't want to leave in the evening or at all in fact...

https://www.schlosshotel-fiss.com/en/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy