Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for brian's, Elizabeth B's, lynseyf's, Nick L and Eyeopener resort reports on Zermatt:

Zermatt (April 2006)
Zermatt (February 2005)
Zermatt (January 2008)
Zermatt (December 2008)
Zermatt (December 2008)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 6-01-09 19:37; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Make sure you drop in for a pizza and a beer at the North Wall Bar! - www.northwallbar.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thoroughly recommend Martin Bell's suggestion, is a fantastic little bar.

Also recommend the Papperla Pub and Pollux Tea Bar for a good late night Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Papperla pub!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 21-01-13 20:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnnyC, aye, that homebrewed schnapps was lethal NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And a report from doogo:

Zermatt (February 2007)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Doogo,

I cannot believe you found the food on the mountain to be so-so!! Shocked No way! Zeramtt must be the gourmet lunch capital of ski resorts! I can only think you missed all the good mountain restauants of which there are loads and ate at the self serv cafeteria places of which there are about 3 or 4! What a shame Sad

Sarah
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another resort report for Zermatt from lynseyf:

Zermatt (January 2008)

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At risk of turning this into a recommended bar thread, a "must try" is the Hennu Stall next to the final piste back to town from the Schwarzee area. Wobbling back to one's chalet in the dark is, er, entertaining wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think Zermatt is awful .... Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agenterre, But I'm going there in just over a week. Do you think I should cancel? wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin B, Errgggh .. no, you need to appreciate first hand how awful it is Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agenterre, To help in that process I've printed of charletanefc's list of approved bars and restaurants - it's a very long list though and I'm only there for a week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B, Not a good move to attend them all .. but Zermatt has verything for every taste ... and the skiing ? You tell me in 10 days !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm surprised anyone has a bad word to say about Zermatt. In skiing terms, there is something for everyone. When I went, you did pretty much have to choose which area you were skiing for the day, though improvements in the lift system may have changed that. There is a glorious range in buildings in the village - from farm buildings on stilts to the Zermatterhof. Accommodation choice is quite wide, too, from extremely luxurious to far more modestly priced, but still decent, places to kip. I think the place has alpine charm, and it reeks of tradition. The museum is a must to view - seeing the notorious Whymper rope somehow brings drama to history. The English church is perhaps worth a visit, and so, soberingly, is the cemetery. Of course, the Matterhorn dominates the village - and I think the best views are from the Gornergrat train - which therefore has to be the best ski lift in the world (OK, that is just IMHO Very Happy )

I don't remember it as cheap - but it didn't seem ludicrously expensive either. If you are after big domain skiing then it probably isn't for you. For anyone else, I'd say it is a must-visit resort.
snow report
Further resort reports from Zermatt from Nick L and Eyeopener:

Zermatt (December 2008)
Zermatt (December 2008)
ski holidays
I don't see many recommendations for the best restaurant in the area the Zum See, so I'm putting that right.

It's set in a farmyard just off the piste leading back to the town, just below Furi. Lunches are excellent but booking is essential as it gets booked up early on, which is always a good sign. On a nice sunny day, they lay out tables in the farmyard which is great.

For a real treat, head back there on the last run of the day back to town and try the Mille Feuille which is freshly cooked on the premises and brought out on long planks of wood, before being chopped into slices - heaven. There are other specialities but I've never got past the Mille Feuille.

The service is excellent but be warned, no other mountain restaurant will ever seem the same again Cool

Website is here :- http://www.zumsee.ch/index.php?lan=fr&mid=1
latest report
Another report from luigi's:

Zermatt (January 2010)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
I'm surprised anyone has a bad word to say about Zermatt. In skiing terms, there is something for everyone.

I very much enjoyed Zermatt when I visited last year, but I can understand why people might prefer other resorts - things that seem like minor disadvantages to me could well be showstopppers for others.

At the risk of sounding negative, the bad sides to Zermatt are convenience (very little ski-in/out accommodation; long, complex transfer from Geneva), some nasty bottlenecks in the lift system (eg Gantt), restricted access to tough skiing without a guide, heavy reliance on cable cars (no rest on the uphill trip and too many people hitting the pistes simultaneously), and no tree skiing at all (the forests are all wildlife protection areas).

On the other hand, Zermatt has a great deal of positives that, IMV, outweigh the drawbacks - some fabulous intineraires, great cruising pistes in a large, snow-sure area, a very impressive high-speed, high-capacity lift system that can offer massive daily vertical if you plan your route with care, a beautiful car-free village and stunning scenery.

To each his own.
snow conditions
Jonny Jones,
Quote:
restricted access to tough skiing without a guide

Can you elaborate on that please?
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:
Jonny Jones,
Quote:
restricted access to tough skiing without a guide

Can you elaborate on that please?

I wouldn't decribe any of Zermatt's pistes - including the yellow itineraires - as challenging for an advanced intermediate skier. My 10 year old son tackled every open advanced trail on the mountain and his biggest challenge of the week was riding the t-bars (he'd never encountered one before).

That's not to say the runs weren't fun, though. The Triftje(?) bumps, in particular, brought huge grins to our faces and set our thighs on fire. But we failed to find anything that caused our adrenaline levels to rise.
snow report
Jonny Jones, sorry I meant the need for a guide AFAIK there is no legal requirement for you to take a guide to go off piste in Zermatt, was wondering if you knew different?
snow report
I'm not aware of any legal requirement, but I wasn't about to take my kids on a potentially dangerous excursion into unknown terrain with unknown avalanche risk. It's one thing to take those risks for yourself; it's quite another to expose your family to them.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, fair enough and fair play to you, many would do that and IMO they're idiots. However, as we have a tentative plan to do some interesting things in that area at the end of the season you did have me worried for a moment.
latest report
any thoughts on good accommodation in zermatt? Nice food, hb, chalet a poss but arriving tuesday 28 feb. 2 people.
ski holidays
Zermatt accommodation search?
any views?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy