Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BMW G21 3 Series M Sport Touring

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I own a 2020 BMW G21 M Sport Touring. After some research I purchased a set of Koniq K-Summit snow chains. My tyre size is 255/40/18 so I have the K34 size chain.

My issue is that the lug nut adapter does not fit over the wheel lug nut - there is not enough clearance around the wheel lug nut to accommodate the lug nut adapter. Has anyone else come across this issue and if so how did you resolve it?

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had the previous model to your G21 - a 2013 330d xDrive Touring and had no issues with fitting the Spikes Spiders. Obviously, they're not the same as your K-Summit but perhaps the attachment design is similar enough to help:

I have the Spikes Spider Easy, front-fitting chains for my F23 2016 M235i and its 7.5Jx17 wheels, with 17mm bolts ('lug nuts' in Amerispeak). On these, there are two fitting extenders which go over two of the five bolts on each wheel. The extenders have a variable clamp mechanism at one end, which as you tighten the extender, reduces in size to match the bolt. Is this how your K-Summit's are fitted? It might be useful to provide some photo's if possible, and then it would be clearer.

With the Spike Spiders, there's plenty of space around the bolts for the extender head to fit loosely over them, before they're tightened onto it. Are you saying that you simply can't fit the extender head into the wheel's bolt recess? In my case, however, I have a separate set of winter wheels where the 7.5Jx17 winter replaces the standard 8Jx18 summer, so the bolt recesses may be wider than on my M Performance summer wheels. I assume you're using the front-fitting chains because the standard M Sport wheels can't take chains because there's not enough space behind the wheel?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi.

Thanks so much for your reply.

I think I may have resolved the issue. Secret is to not tighten the adapter onto the central attachment - basically just have it loosely attached. This allows for the adapter to fit over the wheel nut and then for it to be tightened up to clamp the wheel nut.

Sounds similar to the Spike Spiders you have. You are 100% correct in that I went for the K- Summit as with the car being an M-Sport model I can’t get my hands behind the wheel to attach standard chains.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy