Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 1 day ski challenge.. can it be done.

Poster: A snowHead
Crozet sounds perfect! Doesn't matter if it's only small.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cc_7up wrote:
A 6am start from Leicester to the 'Weardale Ski Club' Car Park area takes me about 3 hours by Car.

Ski/Board for 6 hours (10am ~ 4pm)

Then a 3 hour drive and I'm back home again by 7.30 pm... on the Same Day.

Local Accommodation in the Weardale area costs from about £50 per Night

https://www.skiweardale.com/

Thanks, I never even knew that existed!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...@greengriff, In the most objective of tones possible, you may well lose some time at the arrival airport passport control as a result of the British people exercising their democratic prerogative
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I once arranged a work trip to Scotland that allowed me to do an afternoon at Glen Coe. Left home v.early in the morning and arrived at Glen Coe ski station just before noon. Skied the afternoon and then drove to Stirling hotel before my work event the following morning in Stirling.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
have done Schladming and back. out at 6:30, then the last Ryanair out of Salzburg (I think about 10pm). easy, I think we used Stanstead (but can't be sure). taxi to and from the resort.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
... Lot of effort for an afternoon on the slopes. Not to mention the cost per day or the environmental costs!...

Add in £1750 and a 10-day stay in a quarantine hotel, and the environmental cost is not dissimilar to any 2-week holiday. Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It should be obvious that I'm not planning to do it right now!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
greengriff wrote:
cc_7up wrote:
A 6am start from Leicester to the 'Weardale Ski Club' Car Park area takes me about 3 hours by Car.

Ski/Board for 6 hours (10am ~ 4pm)

Then a 3 hour drive and I'm back home again by 7.30 pm... on the Same Day.

Local Accommodation in the Weardale area costs from about £50 per Night

https://www.skiweardale.com/

Thanks, I never even knew that existed!

First Full Season Membership costs £48. Renewed Full Season Membership costs £38

A 2 hour Skiing/Boarding Session at the Tamworth 'Fridge' costs £39.

https://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153411&highlight=

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 21-03-21 18:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm wondering what's the closest airport to a fair sized sli resort. Innsbruk?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Crystal (or Tompson I forget) organised midweek one day trips back in the '90s, although I think it was only one or two trips a season. Fairly sure it was operated Gatwick to Geneva, but I can't remember what the resort was. Flaine or Morzine I expect.

However, as others have pointed out the cost was only marginally cheaper that a full week at the same resorts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
greengriff wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Quite. Might as well do a challenge to see how many car tyres you can burn in 24 hours

Yeah that's right, because the 'plane definitely won't be flying unless I'm on it, will it!

That one might be. Future ones might not if more people didn’t embark on challenges with grotesque carbon footprints.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I'm wondering what's the closest airport to a fair sized sli resort. Innsbruk?

If there's a flight https://www.sionaeroport.ch/en/ directly below Nendaz for 4 valley ski area.

You can get the bus up to village directly too, it's about 45 minutes up the hill.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did a day trip NCL to Berlin and another NCL to Moscow in 1990. I think it was airtours. I also did The Sun voucher thingies to do Middlesbrough to Calais for £1 a couple of times in the 80s. Finished work, jumped on the overnight coach, grand day out on my day off then back in time for work the next day.

I'm a great fan of days away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin wrote:
greengriff wrote:
I love Serre Che, but don't fancy a night time rush across Paris from Lyon to Nord (or is it the other way around).
It's a few stops (3 maybe?) on the RER so without skis and luggage, where's the issue?
You can even buy a carnet of metro tickets on the Eurostar before you arrive in Paris.
Like I say, though, never done that one myself so the timings might not be so good.

Eurostar did a few one-day-skiing trips from St Pancras Friday night sleep DIRECT through to BSM arriving EARLY Saturday morning before even the bakers opened.
Up the funi to Les Arcs. Full-day skiing.
Pizza at the station with Sat 10pm departure to get you in to London in time to attend Sunday morning church service.
No beds, sleeping on seats (or along overhead locker)
No need for a change of clothes!!!!!! Pew.....
Think the fare was around £130pp
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gt

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 21-03-21 20:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Grinning, that's the one I did...twice. trip report of first one linked above somewhere
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Grinning, that's the one I did...twice. trip report of first one linked above somewhere

Ah yes, forgive me: I only read the OP and tail of the thread.
Quite an experience but not one I’d repeat now and doubt it will be available.
snow conditions
@Grinning, hasn't been available for a long time
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
greengriff wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Quite. Might as well do a challenge to see how many car tyres you can burn in 24 hours

Yeah that's right, because the 'plane definitely won't be flying unless I'm on it, will it!

That one might be. Future ones might not if more people didn’t embark on challenges with grotesque carbon footprints.

If people 'embarking on challenges with grotesque carbon footprints' make up more than 0.001% of air travellers, and therefore have any influence on the frequency of future flights, I'll eat my hat. Why don't you go and try and suck up the fun somewhere else?
latest report
@greengriff, sarcasm not your forte then?

It goes like this. If people continue to fly willy nilly when there are better alternatives, airlines will continue to lay on and promote air travel.
latest report
That wasn't sarcasm. I'll forgive you if English isn't your first language. But yes, your above reply is perfectly reasonable, so why didn't you say that in the first place, instead of nonsense about burning car tyres?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Grinning, hasn't been available for a long time

Well not since March 2020, although that is beginning to seem like a long time.
snow report
@ecureuil, oh? To be honest I haven't looked for years and as I recall it wasn't an option some time ago. Might well be wrong though
snow conditions
I've made it to the slopes by about midday on several occasions with a UK start. Les Gets by 11:30am was probably the earliest. That was with a "following wind", no delays on flights, no wait to pick up bags, no queue at car rental, no traffic (mid week trip). Taking the same flight the following season got us to Chamonix (Brevent) by 13:00, and that was just minor delays (a few mins late, a short wait for bags etc).

In short, it's absolutely doable and you can get in 5 hours skiing if you're lucky. It's not worth it though, IMHO, it's all stress and no fun.

Also, do not rely on rental shops being open between 12:00 and 14:00. It's worth taking gear for a short trip like this, even if you have to pay for the baggage.

(btw, Les Gets is actually very easy to get to, in terms of time it's closer than LGB or La Clusaz, I'm pretty sure we did it in less than an hour).
snow report
Some might think waiting for your own skis at the airport might slow them down. But every time I've used the 0600 Swiss Heathrow to Zurich service (more times than I care to remember!), my skis have been waiting for me in the baggage hall after I've cleared customs. No time wasted at a rental shop either.

Earliest I've been on the lift at Engelberg was just before 11am - I took a taxi transfer with no hire car or catching the train faff!
snow report
2 greengriff

For me, taking late evening flight and staying at the airport hotel or cheap hotel on the way, and get good sleep, would make more sense than waking up at 3am in order to get into airpot 1.5h before the early morning flight.
snow report
@LOTA, agree, Zurich experience has always been good. (Though to be fair, Geneva has been better than any of the major UK airports).

But to the OP ... why even try? A weekend skiing without time off work makes more sense if you want a challenge.
latest report
The difficulty is the variables, especially the queue at border control and car hire desk. I suspect you can lose an hour quite easily across those two. See also hire shop and gondola. I like the idea, and it'd be fantastic if it went well, but I think you're more likely to end up stressing and not getting as much ski time as anticipated.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

We tended to use it to give us 8 days skiing out of a week

There is still a night train from Paris to Briancon (Serre Chevalier) but I've never used it so I don't know what the timings are like.

I did a long weekend last season to Serre Chevalier. Timings allow almost first lift on the morning with an 8.30ish arrival and easy last lift on the way back. Much more sleep than getting up for a red-eye flight too! Timings across Paris are a little bit tight but there was a train to Ax 3 Domaines in the Pyrenees too which gave more time.

Also did this for SOPiB and got 9 days on the slopes snowHead
snow report
Here's my Trip Report from that weekend:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3527800&highlight=night+train#3527800
snow report
ed123 wrote:
The Crozet lift is even visible from the GVA tarmac. Apparently it is windy- my som has raced there and I think some people will travel to crozet for a race and back in a day.

Of course you could get the sleeper to Fort William or Aviemore. Or drive if you take shifts.

I've had a day trip to Yad Moss from Liverpool. The Mornington Crescent of Snowheads. How I miss Humpf- but Jack Dee is going fine and dandy.

Every time I’ve been arriving/departing from geneva I’ve looked
Up and never ever realised that was a ski resort! 1000m vertical too and it always looks to have snow when I’ve flown in/out. A really good cheap alternative to the Alps!
ski holidays
Crozet is always good fun - travel time up from the south side (the side you see from geneva) is slightly longer than you'd like as you first take a wee telecabin, then you scoot yourself over to a chair to get up the mountain proper. Its the most alpine feeling of all the Jura ski resorts, but is v cheap and absolutely can be a hoot for a day out. I've had a few epic days there in fresh snow.
ski holidays
There's a company, based in the Midlands, ski coach innovations who do day trips and weekends to the Jura resort of Gerardmer. They also do a day trip to Les Arcs. Obviously, the pandemic put paid to their 2021 programme. I went on the two-day trip to Gerardmer and it was exceptionally good value if you can bear overnights on a coach.
snow report
Easy - I’ve arrived in Chatel many times around 11am when leaving on a 7:30 ish flight from Gatwick. All going well you could probably ski 12:00 - 5pm flying back on the 9:15 pm.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, how “around” is “around” and how “ish” is “ish” ? Happy

730 LGW GVA would land 10.10 local. That leaves under an hour from gate to resort. My wife used to do Friday night London to Geneva most weekends, and it was very consistently 1h45-2hours from takeoff to her coming out of the airport. She had front row seats on the plane, no baggage, no passport queue.

Theres a couple of threads on weekend trips
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132664
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139632

A few of us who are regulars on that route give some clear timings and highlight that what can be achieved as an absolute best case scenario by a regular traveller isn’t a safe planning assumption.

If you are doing very short trips, I’d highlight the need to have hand bags only, front row seats on the plane, a private transfer (not a rental car), and a conversation with the ski shop in advance so you walk in, grab the skis and walk out (one of our local shops has exactly this setup - your skis have your name on them, all they do is check the bindings). Lift tickets prepurchased online and you’re away.
snow report
@snowdave, perhaps I got the departure time wrong but I used to fly there to meet builders at 11:30am inc driving the long way around the top of lake GVA taking 1:40 mins. These were day trips with no luggage and normal car rental (ie not fast-tracked) from Swiss side.
latest report
@snowdave, perhaps I got the departure time wrong but I used to fly there to meet builders at 11:30am inc driving the long way around the top of lake GVA taking 1:40 mins. These were day trips with no luggage and normal car rental (ie not fast-tracked) from Swiss side.
latest report
greengriff wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Bit of a poor argument that, planes run on demand, if you book it, they will put more on.
latest report
greengriff wrote:

Like the straw breaking the camel's back, your ticket might be the one that persuades the airline to run an additional daily flight for the whole of next season.
snow report
Pastorius wrote:
greengriff wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Bit of a poor argument that, planes run on demand, if you book it, they will put more on.

You sad pricks won't give up will you? Do you trawl threads looking for something to moan about? What actual evidence can you produce that if little old me booked a seat on a 'plane it would cause them to put another one on?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy